• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS. Captain Falcon

Bowser Jr's odds against Falcon?

• 50/50 even.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 55/45, in Jr's favor.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 60/40, in Jr's favor.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65/35, in Jr's favor

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 45/55, in Falcon's favor

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 40/60, in Falcon's favor

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 35/65, in Falcon's favor

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet

Oh boy...
of all the For Glory scrubs I've seen online, aside from Little Mac, I've seen more than my fair share of Captain Falcons...
Against a FG scrub, we can wipe the floor with them. But against a GOOD Falcon player (read: A falcon who isn't all about dash attacks, raptor boost, and HOO HAHs), Bowser Jr. actually struggles.
He's so fast and his dash grab is so good that any mistakes you make are likely to be punished. Fake outs are also common, and Falcon is excellent at this. Also good for punishing excessive shield use (a bad habit of mine)
His Uair is not quite Diddy Kong's but it definitely gets the job done and makes aerial approaches much more risky...
HOO HAH is fairly common and good players can get two of them in... Also cuz Jr. is heavy and easily combo'd himself.
A good falcon player also knows how to knee. This move is one of Falcon's most dangerous in the hands of a good player. Also, his weak knee can gimp Jr. after using Up B. Or he could stage spike with his Bair as you come up... so be careful of recovering too close to the stage...
Raptor boost is a kill move after around 110-120 ish percent. Shield it and punish if you can.

Any good news?
We can easily beat falcon's ground game. Dash grab is beaten out by jab, mechakoopa, Ftilt, and Dtilt (spaced and timed properly) Dash attack can be shielded and then punished.
We outrange Falcon in general, and have disjointed hitboxes. Fair and Bair can easily run through Falcon's aerials.
However, many of Jr's attacks are weaker when enemies are extremely close. You must space properly and prevent Falcon from getting too close and whaling on you instead...
Juggling Falcon is a must. He's heavy and a fast faller so you must punish him hard every time you get the chance. Our Uair is also disjointed and is a fast move so don't be afraid to throw it out there against him. Nair is also good for escaping combos if you can get it in... Though it won't work against Uairs.
Kart dash and its follow ups are good against a Falcon. It also protects you from his Dtilt with your kart's super armor.
Mechakoopas are great for pressuring Falcon. I've released a mechakoopa the other way and then shielded Falcon's approach with relative safety. If he grabs or dash attacks you chances are he'll run into the MK and give you a free punish if you're quick.
One thing I have to test is whether it's a good idea to retreat then pivot grab an approaching Falcon. In theory it would work, but unfortunately this is untested. Jr's grab sucks so you cannot throw out grabs liberally, but it is good enough for punishes, and although Falcon is fast, his options have enough lag that the grab should succeed...
I try my best to keep Falcon level or above me. Never below because his Uair, Bair, and Nair are all really good and combined with his mobility can disrupt Jr's momentum quite easily.

Anyways what do you guys think?

8-bit KoopaKid

Smash Rookie
NNID
Haruhiist
3DS FC
0748-2928-9745
Decent Falcons make me cry so very hard. Once they get me in the air, I'm done. Any way I go to get back, he's there waiting and punishes me about half the time which starts the cycle over. He's always up in my grill so dropping MechaKoopas is not a thing since I never have time. This thread I hope will help me.

Falcon is my bane (as a player). I never know what to do against him and he's always punching my face out. It doesn't help that like a third of the people I encountered play this guy too. ;_;

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Decent Falcons make me cry so very hard. Once they get me in the air, I'm done. Any way I go to get back, he's there waiting and punishes me about half the time which starts the cycle over. He's always up in my grill so dropping MechaKoopas is not a thing since I never have time. This thread I hope will help me.

Falcon is my bane (as a player). I never know what to do against him and he's always punching my face out. It doesn't help that like a third of the people I encountered play this guy too. ;_;
Yea... I forgot to mention that.
I've been punished for releasing a mechakoopa too close to Falcon... I usually do it in the air, but then I'm met by a dash grab or intercepted by a Uair... Worse, the falcon sometimes grabs my MK as it's bouncing, throws it up into the air, then knocks me into it as it falls... :(
Don't let Falcon shark you with Uairs. Do your very best to stay level with him or under. Dair is useless here unless it's a follow up from kart dash at low %s.
The cannonball is also only useful at very long range cuz of how fast Falcon can close the gap.

But it also sounds like you're psyched out by Falcon in general.
I know that feeling... I get it when I face a good Sheik, Fox, and ZSS myself...
Do your best to remain calm. Focus not on what strengths your opponent has, but where their weaknesses are and what options you have to cover them.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Something I've found works against a lot of Falcons (even good ones) is to recover very low.

A lot of them will be thirsty to get the dair on you, and they'll go for it expecting you to jump or up-b sooner than is necessary. Most of the time, I'll wait out to use my side-b hop into up-b until I know that I'll just barely make it, that way they miss their dair and possibly go too deep and die.

8-bit KoopaKid

Smash Rookie
NNID
Haruhiist
3DS FC
0748-2928-9745
Yea... I forgot to mention that.
I've been punished for releasing a mechakoopa too close to Falcon... I usually do it in the air, but then I'm met by a dash grab or intercepted by a Uair... Worse, the falcon sometimes grabs my MK as it's bouncing, throws it up into the air, then knocks me into it as it falls... :(
Don't let Falcon shark you with Uairs. Do your very best to stay level with him or under. Dair is useless here unless it's a follow up from kart dash at low %s.
The cannonball is also only useful at very long range cuz of how fast Falcon can close the gap.

But it also sounds like you're psyched out by Falcon in general.
I know that feeling... I get it when I face a good Sheik, Fox, and ZSS myself...
Do your best to remain calm. Focus not on what strengths your opponent has, but where their weaknesses are and what options you have to cover them.
My issue is getting back to the level without taking more hits on the way down or getting caught at some point if I do get above him. Its bound to happen against Cap'n.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
My issue is getting back to the level without taking more hits on the way down or getting caught at some point if I do get above him. Its bound to happen against Cap'n.
Aside from air dodges, I often use Kart dash and its jump cancel to fake out Falcons into running the wrong way. If they try to Uair you, air dodge. But be careful of fake outs... >.>
Sometimes I fastfall a Nair if a Falcon gets too hungry for a punish. Doesn't always work, cuz shield and Nair's got some landing lag. But it's a good mixup if the Falcon gets too predictable.
Often I end up going to the ledge, from which I can ledge hop Fairs to Wall of Pain Falcon out, or use Kart dash to get away from him. But watch out for Utilt and its spike before you snap to the ledge...

Last edited:
Top Bottom