• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Setting Q - Yes I read the other thread

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I just DLd and extracted Project64k and a Smash Bros Rom, and get this message when trying to open a rom in P64k:

"Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device. Please make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with Direct3D6.0"

I'm Sorry if this question sounds totally idiotic. I do know what DirectX is. A year ago my comp got a virus and my uncle installed an "ungenuine" copy of Windows XP in place of my genuine one that I had. I suspect because of this the comp has files on the HD but can't access them? I dunno...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am unable to find the videocard info on my DELL Inspiron 1000 (don't laugh) - where do I look?

System Info doesn't seem to display anything.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Update: I pasted a different plugin as Jabo_Direct3D7.dl file, and now I get video and audio but It's really choppy, about 10 FPS and when I press start it seemingly stays at the same screen...

And Another thing, I set Windows to 800X600 and 32bit but don't see options for 60HZ in the display control panel. I have XP Professional. Any Ideas?

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
You don't need to make changes to your system configuration usually. Which plugin did you use to replace 3D7?

I know for a fact that the DirectX problem comes about when you don't have the proper gfx drivers installed. I've had that problem before with XP. To find the gfx card info, right click my computer, and go to properties. From there you should be able to see some tabs that leads you to the info. Sorry I can't be more specific, I've had Vista for so long that my XP knowledge is getting rusty. To check the drivers you've installed already, run cmptmgmt.msc and go to devices to find your gfx card drivers.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I downloaded a plugin called "glN64_v0.4.1" and renamed it as said in the other thread
Should I get a different one?

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Did you try Jabo_Direct3D8.dll?
Do you mean downloading it or renaming it to that? I downloaded the version
Project64k_0_13 and only see a Jabo_Direct3D6 and a 7, don't see an 8, I guess I can try renaming it to be 8, thank you.

UPDATE: I tried just renaming it to 8 and it said it couldn't use the dll file, so I suspect maybe I need a newer plugin actually named Jaba_Direct3D8...

UPDATE: I just keep downloading different N64 plugins and trying them, so far I've had the most luck with TR64 Open GL Version. I remember when I ran CounterStrike Open GL was better than D3D so I wonder if maybe a better OpenGL plugin would be right for me.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Yep, you can find 3D8 from the latest version of Project64 1.6. Not Project64k, but the real PJ64.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Yep, you can find 3D8 from the latest version of Project64 1.6. Not Project64k, but the real PJ64.
So I should get original Project64, get the D3D8 dll, and rename it to D3D7 inside of Project64k, right?

UPDATE: I did the above, and got an error message:

Direct3D failed to initialize
Error Code: 8876086A
D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

So...yeah, that's where I am...

UPDATE: I put the TR64 Open GL plugin renamed as Jabo_Direct3D7.dll since that's given me the best video yet. I can see all the textures and everything. The only problem is it's still about 4-6 FPS. I suspect maybe since my Windows XP isn't genuine maybe MS is preventing use of DirectX? I dunno...

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can you post your system information? If you have a poor video card, or not enough RAM that can cause your PJ64k to go slow.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Windows XP Pro
Intel Celeron 2.19 GHz
512MB Ram
I can't find my vid card info, it's a 2 year old laptop but it could play Counter Strike and Warcraft 3 at lower specs... A year ago it got a virus and I installed another ungenuine copy of Windows so maybe my DirectX is disabled or something, I don't know...

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Yeah, like I said, it's a driver problem. Just find your driver specs using the method I posted above and go download the latest drivers from the respective gfx card manufacturer.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, like I said, it's a driver problem. Just find your driver specs using the method I posted above and go download the latest drivers from the respective gfx card manufacturer.
I enter cmptmgmt.msc in the run menu and it says it can't find that file...

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Darn, I was able to find it but my computer doesn't show ANY drivers, I think reinstalling XP or the ungenuine thing disable them, thanks for your help though Umbra, I really appreciate it. I think I'll have to reinstall Windows again (with a legit ID this time) and then I'll have access to the drivers I need. Thanks bro.

Top Bottom