• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Viability of crouching?

NogGoggler

Smash Cadet
I noticed like a month ago that ESAM started approaching with crouch, mainly because it lowers his hurtbox, allow backwards movement while still facing forward, quick dtilts, etc, so I started incorporating it into my play. Against most characters it works extremely well. ZSS has trouble hitting pika as well as outpacing dtilt, Mario/Ness have a difficult time approaching, fox clanks with everything without being able to beat it, falcon can't hit pika either, etc. although it can be predictable if you use it too often, it's an extremely good mixup/ground spacing option that passively nets pikachu more stage control. However, it's pretty **** against sheik and swordies. Sheik can just fair, and you must be suicidal if you think you can our space a swordy.

Have y'all had experience using it? I personally think it's one of pikachus most underrated tools.

Last edited:

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Like almost everything else in this game, its utility is extremely match-up dependent. VS Robin crouching is godlike, vs Megaman, not so much.

Tankendog

Smash Cadet
Crouching is also a carry over from melee, where you can DI Into the stage to reduce knockback.

In general, if a character is taller than you, crouching is good. Be warned: Crouching and walking backwards has a higher hurt box than crouching and crouching and walking forward.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Crouching is also a carry over from melee, where you can DI Into the stage to reduce knockback.
While somewhat true, be careful not to confuse knockback and hitstun reduction from crouching with crouch cancelling. As I understand it, Melee crouch cancelling is actually ASDI down to force a landing state and cancel hit stun altogether. This mechanic is not in Sm4sh.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
It's viable for every character that has one, mainly for characters who are taller than they are.

For Pikachu, it's also a pretty good taunt. Just crawl into the side of the stage.

grapestory

Smash Rookie
Sometimes I will crouch when at high percents since I am usually playing a bit more defensively in order to not get KO'd.

Crouching in the middle of the stage can be useful for staying alive longer than usual (you receivever reduced KB from hits), however those pikachu has a few new options in this state (such as moving backwards to the left while being able to ftilt to the right)
pikas mobility is limited and it can become predictable and eventually your opponent will learn to adapt to it. So as a scarce mix-up I think it's quite viable, however as a consistent implementation into your gameplay... maybe not. But who knows? Crouch meta​

Last edited:

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
One of the benefits of crouching, besides the reduced knockback and the access to Dtilt while retreating, is the obvious lowered hitbox. If you notice your opponent is sloppy with their air-to-ground attacks and is aiming for your head, you can crouch on their landing once or twice to get them to change their tactics.

A good example for this is Villager's Fair and Bair, and other thin, horizontal attacks like Ike's Bair. It takes quite a bit of precision to hit a crouching Pika with these moves!

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Most of you probably already know this, but for those of you who don't, you can crouch under Ryu's Tatsumaki Senpukyaku.

(Yes, I had to Google the name of it.)

Last edited:

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
I've been experimenting with crawling to micro space. Especially when swordsmen are trying to wall me out like Marth, Corrin, or Ike.

Shram

Smash Cadet
It's weird.
Jigglypuff's crouch hitbox is actually taller than Pikachu's crouch hitbox, yet Jigglypuff can duck under more attacks than pikachu can. It boggles my mind, but it's real. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0u2NkT54as

But another cool thing about crouching is that it reduces your knockback by about 6/7.

Last edited:

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I only use crouch to dodge lasers from Fox and Falco, and a couple of other projectiles. However, like the others said the crouch hit box makes it useful, and the fact that you have D-Tilt to attack with. It might also be good if you want to slowly get up to your opponent if you are not that great at walking up close.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Another nice thing about the crouch is that when you shield, you instantly return to standing position while your shield appears around you. Why is this nice? Because if a hitbox is in where you shield will be next frame but you dodge due to your crouch, your shield appearing over the hitbox means instant powershield! Dabuz was utilizing Rosa's crouch in this way when he beat Nairo at Genesis3.

Top Bottom