• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vi, Kabbu and Leif Join the Fable! (Not finished sorry lol)

TheVillagerDucky

Smash Rookie
(Edit: I'm not super experienced with the smashboards writing format, and since I was on mobile while writing this, I accidentally pressed done before I could finish. Sorry...)

Who?

Hi! It's been a while hasn't it? Recently, a game has been surfacing that has delightfully surprised RPG fans around the world called Bug Fables. It takes heavy inspiration from Paper Mario and other RPGs, and it has received praise for it's intense and interesting combat, it's fun and witty dialogue, it's challenge, and it's wide cast of characters.

The three main protagonists of this game are Vi the bee, Kabbu the beetle, and Leif the moth. Each of them excels at specific abilities in their game. For example, Vi can fly and uses a boomerang called the "Beemerang" (very funny) to overcome puzzles and enemies, Kabbu is strong and defensive, and Leif uses magic ice abilities to fight. We got that out of the way? Awesome!

Moveset?

Moveset-wise, this trio of characters may seem covered. They have a variety of skills and abilities to work with, so what's the issue? Well, having just one out of the three main bugs just wouldn't really make sense, since they're supposed to work off of one another in-battle. It wouldn't make sense if Vi was the fighter and Kabbu and Leif were just stage cameos. The easy solution is to make them one entity rather than several entities. Each of the members of this trio are relatively small, so I can see something like that working. I was going to go for a more Pokemon Trainer styled approach, but there isn't really enough stuff for each member of the trio to do to make an entire moveset for each one, and it would also be quite time consuming. When I say that the three bugs server as one entity, I mean they stick close together, and when one takes damage, all three do. Think of it like the Duck Hunt Dog and Duck, or Bowser Jr. and his Koopa Clown Car.

Vi, Kabbu and Leif would likely be middleweight fighters. I think this moveset should focus on two things:

1. Considering how Bug Fables and most RPGs used turn-based combat, it would make sense for this trio of fighters to take turns with their attacks. One bug attacks, while the other two move off to the background. This applies to specials as well.

2. This part is more focused on the specials, and how the results of each one depend on how well you time your button presses. For example, for side-special, Vi uses his Beemerang as a meter shows up above him. By letting go of the B button at the right time on the meter, the Beemerang will be twice as powerful! While this does apply to specials, it could also apply to smash attacks, but more or less simpler stuff, about on the same level as Link's f-smash requiring a second button press to activate the second part.

Indie characters in smash is beginning to seem like a foreign idea. Shovel Knight got turned into an assist, Shantae is a spirit, and Sans and Cuphead got Mii costumes. While these factors don't downright deconfirm these indie reps, these factors do seem to make them less likely. Now, it seems as if the only plausible indie reps now are either Frisk, who is unlikely considering how we seemingly already got our Undertale representation for this game, Steve, who isn't even an indie character at this point, and Quote, who would be a copyright hell for Nintendo to get their hands on. Hopefully I opened your eyes to see how other indie characters other than the ones listed above could work well in smash, although I highly doubt a Bug Fables character will ever get in. And although it is quite unlikely, I still think speculating on unlikely characters is a good thing as a whole, as it keeps specuating in this community somewhat interesting.

If you support this idea, why not become a supporter? That would be cool. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm playing Bug Fables right now so I'd be down for this fighter. I really don't see it happening though (not in this game anyway), there's already a long list of indie characters in front of them I think. Plus I think the game only first came out on PC about 5 months ago, way too late to be considered for Smash even if everything else was going for them.

A Vi mii costume would be cool though. Also they can add this track to the game while they're at it. Honestly even after this fighter pass is finished, I wouldn't mind if they did a dlc pack full of some indie game music, that would be cool.

(You can put me down as a supporter)

Last edited:
Top Bottom