• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very new to Puff; Tips for Vs. Marth and Ganondorf

Cindrex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cindrex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SPcpO0cQnc

I was wondering if you guys would critique my :jigglypuffmelee:. I'm looking for the more basic things I should work on. Not like
spacing, but just like move choice, ways to combo :marthmelee: or :ganondorfmelee:, rest setups for floatier characters, and how should I approach the neutral Vs. :ganondorfmelee:? I only played :jigglypuffmelee: in the first three games and I'm not really interested in recommendations for my :falcomelee:, obviously.

Anything is appreciated! :dr^_^:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Well, move choice is kinda dependent on spacing, so it might be hard to not mention it, but I'll do my best to skip over spacing issues and focus on the other stuff.

0:20 He air dodges and you hit him with the inside hitbox of bair. I think there was ample time to Utilt, Uair, or grab, which could setup for a rest or put marth above you.

0:25 Marth whiffs a shield grab in the wrong direction and you use Dtilt to punish when you could have rested. It seems like you weren't expecting a grab and were trying to shield poke (It wouldn't have shield poked). You didn't really need to throw out a move at all right there. Being behind a marth in shield allows you to react to pretty much any of his options. And you can try to trick him into forcing his hand with WD down or empty hop. Marth could hit you with bair before you can react, but you should be able to CC it and punish at that %.

0:30 Marth's Dsmash whiffs and I'm pretty sure you could have rested him.

0:31 You land behind shielding marth. Great. But then you just jump away and lose your advantage.

0:35 if you had crouched instead of rolled you could have rested a whiffed grab.

0:46 I had to put the video on .25 speed here. As far as I can tell you got really lucky in that he chose to jump at the same time you chose to fsmash.

0:48 You read his side b and kill him with a bair. It works, but he was far enough away that holding ledge and bairing if he came on stage probably would have been safer.

0:58 randy downsmash can be punished with anything

Ik I haven't done much of the match but I have to go now. If I remember i'll do some more later.

Cindrex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cindrex
Thanks for checking out what you did.
0:46, I actually waited out his shield on purpose hoping he would either let go of shield or jump oos, and it worked. He could have held shield longer or WD back and I would have missed the read.

Even the small things you're pointing out helps a lot because I don't realize rest opportunities as much as I should and I'm also playing kind of scared going from Falco to Puff, being floaty is weird but I like it haha.

I know I didn't really think about resting much because I feel like I'm not able to get into his bubble well because he has a sword. Obviously that's not true if I can get hits on him.

If you check out more later that'd be great ^__^

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
1:00 - 1:24 I notice here the only ariel you ever fade back is Bair, where fair's lasting hitbox can actually be of use when trying to protect yourself while baiting approaches.

1:30 Here once you get him off stage you've got two options. First, you can go offstage and try to hit him out of his Up-B (pretty unsafe) or you can wavedash back to ledge and force him onstage, and then rest him.

1:42 once again, you get him offstage, what I think you did here was reflexively jump because you were getting pretty low (falco reflexes), where falling bair with no jump would have connected without a doubt. Once marth faired (and missed) you would be able to bair him before he could Up-b. With puff you can run off fastball aerial and get back to stage with ease so don't be afraid to go low and use all your jumps to get back rather than exhaust them trying to cover onstage options.

Side note ^ I'm sure you know how, but you could have gotten back using rising pound on your last three jumps.

from around 2:00-3:20 I noticed you going for a lot of upsmashes. While tomahawk upsmash isn't a bad mixup, most other moves in your kit (ariels at least) will lead to so much more. For example in many of these cases you would have been able to hit a falling upair, and in turn, would combo into rest, or a chain of bairs and potentially a stock.

I'll do more later as I've got a midterm to study for, but that's what I've got for now.

Cindrex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cindrex
yeah, when I recovered at 1:42~ I was being impatient, I know that's bad to do >_<

Good luck on your midterm 8)

Shinxzen

Smash Rookie
Use more shorthops when you try to approach

Roll behind Usmash it is really easy to punish

Stop rolling so much in general

IDK if this works for you but it worked for me against Ganon: Stop approaching when you dont need to approach. Ganon has a lot of lagg on his moves so when he messes up you can get in with a s-hop bair or a rest setup or something

Last edited:

DatDuck

Smash Rookie
One thing that I like to do against maths and other characters of the cast that cannot grab puff while crouched is doing a full hop n-air approach on shield. Baiting a shield grab and auto cancelling to a crouch -> you can follow up with a rest or anything. For Gannon you really just want to make sure you stay out of F-air range. It is really laggy so if he misses then you can punish with a b-air.

One thing for both of these characters try just going up in font of them an crouching at low percents. If they go for a dash attack -> rest. Wiff grab -> rest. If they hit you we'll thats the price you pay.

Biggest thing that I would say is spacing in agreement with Low5_ from B-air and not over committing when your hitting shield with it. Sometimes Marth's who shield grab a lot may try to grab after a hit on shield, but with proper spacing you can negate this.

Top Bottom