• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very important problem!!!

Death

Smash Lord
I just found out last minute i got this math problem I dont know how to solve. Please help me quickly!!

A swimming pool is 3 m deep and it has a rectangular base whose length is 2.5 times its width. When it was constructed, the tiles on the sides cost $ 12/m² and on the bottom $10/m². What are the dimensions of the pool if the total cost of tiling it was $2412?

Okay I don't know how to format my equation. I have x = width and 2.5x = length. What is the quadratic equation?

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Well, it can't be that important of a problem. Is the world going to end if for some reason you can't figure out how big this pool is or something? Is a black hole going to pop out of it?

Two things: a) the quadratic equation is something you should burn into your memory. It's incredibly useful. and b) a quick google search would have solved your query much faster than asking it in a video game forum.

But I'm bored right now, so I'll help you out, assuming you haven't already figured out the problem. Try using x=[-b±(b^2-4ac)^(½)]/2a although you'll have to figure out the values of a, b, and c for yourself. But that's the easy part, right?

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
I believe the quadratic equation is 25x^2 +252x -2412 = 0. Just find the surface area of the sides and multiply that by 12, find the area of the base and multiply it by 10, and then the sum of those two values is 2412.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The quadratic equation you want to solve is:

2412 = 30x^2 + 252x

This is taking into account the cost of the tiles and the total surface area.

Top Bottom