• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Sonic's shield as an offensive weapon.

RPK

Smash Lord
Alright, first off all, yay sonic x3

But anyways, I was playing basically had a revelation. Alright as you all should know, in melee if you used your shield while running it would stop you in place and have you pop your shield up. However, we didnt really need it too much because of the lag of putting up the shield, taking it down, and we also had Crouch Canceling. However in Brawl, puttimg up the shield and taking it down is so much faster. Its as fast as you can press and release. So far I havent talked about powershielding....

For powershielding, as you all know, in Brawl, it has gotten so much easier. For those of you who have played Street Fighter 3rd strike and are good at parrying, that is basically how easy it is. Probably a bit harder but probably not by too much.

So I was thinking of combing the two techniques. For sonic players, this would allow them to rush down their opponent. Without fear of getting hit by an attack.

You must also be in the running animation in order to stop yourself with the shield, or to powershield an incoming attack while you bum rush them down.

Also, Run, get behind them, Shield Plant [Thats what Im going to name it even though I dont care for it :p], then Forward Smash. Doing this is basically as fast as Captain Falcon or a Samus running through a shield and Forward smashing it from behind. But...Hopefully a lot faster :3

And thats about it...

Any thoughts on the subject?

~Rpk~

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
There are a few problems with the application of these ideas. For the run-behind-shield-plant, you are completely vulnerable before you pass behind your opponent. Against worse players that's probably not much of a problem, but against better players it's probably not such a good idea. But maybe if you abuse the dash attack you'll be able to get them to shield you and get in a pivot-throw. Who knows?

The problem with the front-side shield-plant is that you are vulnerable to grabs. However, if you hit down right after you press the shield button, you'll spot-dodge, which makes you immune to throws as well. Against grab-happy opponents, this would probably be a better idea.

zamora

Smash Cadet
ive been trying to use shield more often, i need to get working on the dodging part...friends like to play man-handling(hedgehog-handling i guess) shielding marth, hes also trying to learn r.o.b. and pokemon trainer

other than that i believe that abusing the shield as a parry in brawl i could see being used more often, techniques with the shield actually

look in the marth forums, i mean wtf
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=151443

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
thats still not using the shield as an offensive weapon. u cant. its a shield, and shields are for defense. it cant do any damage. stopping yourself to absorb attacks is a defensive maneuver.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
True, although you could make a case for using it offensively by shield canceling-grabbing. That's still a bit of a stretch though.

The question, however, is who gives a ****?

Top Bottom