• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Roy's Throws

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
Could anyone go over some of the basics of Roy's throws? I can never seem to get any consistent follow-ups/combos out of them. I know Up-throw leads to chain-grabs on Spacies, and Forward throw can lead to techchases/dash-attack/DACUS, but I have no idea what to do with down-throw, and I believe Back-throw is useless? Any knowledge would be much appreciated.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Could anyone go over some of the basics of Roy's throws? I can never seem to get any consistent follow-ups/combos out of them. I know Up-throw leads to chain-grabs on Spacies, and Forward throw can lead to techchases/dash-attack/DACUS, but I have no idea what to do with down-throw, and I believe Back-throw is useless? Any knowledge would be much appreciated.
Up-throw = chain grab on fast fallers (Falcon, Fox, Wolf, Falco, Roy, etc.) or kill throw above 190% on non-fast fallers/heavies.

Forward-throw = leads into techases on non-light weights and set ups on light weights.

Down-throw = same as forward throw just in the opposite direction (DI mixup).

Back-throw = near useless unless you just want to get a guy as far off the ledge as possible.

Last edited:

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Shadowganon's pretty much got it covered but...

Downthrow sometimes nets an Fsmash kill due to the DI mixup.

Forward throw for run and gun tech chasing (Fthrow>Fthrow>Ftilt; Fthrow>Dtilt>Fair; etc.etc.)

backthrow isnt useful really

Up throw on spacies or fast fallers for chain grab

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah i think bthrow could use a bit more KB just to make it more useful in throwing an opponent farther offstage. although it might get a little better indirectly since the recoveries are getting nerfed a bit.

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
Huh, I guess I knew more than I thought. Didn't know Back-throw was used as a DI mix-up though. Thanks for all the info!

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
Oh woops, sorry, that came out wrong. I've been awake for more than 48 hours, I just mixed up the throws. I'm getting some sleep now though, so I promise I won't make that mistake in-game :p

Top Bottom