• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Lucario's down-special

Lord P Wallington

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-5453-3611
Hey guys, I'm trying to learn Lucario and I'm sort of wondering how I should be using his down-b attack. I think it cancels some moves (not sure) and I know you can cancel out of it with aura. How often should I be using this move though? When should I use it?

Misuse

Smash Cadet
I don't know what you're general smash level is so there are a couple of options,

In general down b is a really solid move, you get 25 frames of intangibility, and a boost to wherever you're going. You're correct in knowing it can be canceled, but only with aura. When grounded you can do any grounded non special move, and in the air all aerials.

You can also cancel any of lucario attacks (if they hit your opponent or their shield) into specials such as down b. this gives you good in-and-out mobility as well as potential tech chases.

Down b also opens up some approach options as well, one of the best in the neutral is a down b cancel into up tilt, it covers a wide range and pops your opponent up into easily punishable positions.

Overall down b is a great move, it can really overwhelm your opponents and bait out punishable moves if timed correctly, I could go waaaay more into detail about it but I'll leave it here for now, if you need more I, or some one else can surely help you.

Lord P Wallington

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-5453-3611
I don't know what you're general smash level is so there are a couple of options,

In general down b is a really solid move, you get 25 frames of intangibility, and a boost to wherever you're going. You're correct in knowing it can be canceled, but only with aura. When grounded you can do any grounded non special move, and in the air all aerials.

You can also cancel any of lucario attacks (if they hit your opponent or their shield) into specials such as down b. this gives you good in-and-out mobility as well as potential tech chases.

Down b also opens up some approach options as well, one of the best in the neutral is a down b cancel into up tilt, it covers a wide range and pops your opponent up into easily punishable positions.

Overall down b is a great move, it can really overwhelm your opponents and bait out punishable moves if timed correctly, I could go waaaay more into detail about it but I'll leave it here for now, if you need more I, or some one else can surely help you.
That pretty much clears things up for me. I didn't know you could magic with down-b! That should really help me follow up on combos.

Darxai

Smash Cadet
You can use it for wavedashing in a sense since lucario really lacks in that section of mobility. But you can still use his wavedash to cover close distances.

Misuse

Smash Cadet
You can use it for wavedashing in a sense since lucario really lacks in that section of mobility. But you can still use his wavedash to cover close distances.
I only found that useful at lower levels of play. Wave dashing and dash dancing are very important in lucarios bad neutral game and down b can be punished heavily if you use it too much.

DONT GET INTO THE HABIT OF NOT NEEDING FUNDAMENTALS
I did that and it set me back quite a bit in my play

Top Bottom