• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Fire-Bird...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
I opened this little thread just 'cause I've been wondering for a loooong time how to use properly Fire Bird (Up B).
I explain myself a little better: Fire Bird is a great recovery move, but I cannot find other uses in the middle of the battle.
Of course it damages greatly if it strikes, and it can seriously damage shields, but...it's too slow to charge, and Falco can be easily hit during this charging...and expert players (but nearly everybody) never allow me to use it.

So...is there some good use of this move for attacking and not just to come back on the stage?:grin:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
In short, no
Never use firebird on stage, unless you're crazy, it's really not worth. It has even less use in Smash 4 than in Melee's forbidden Falco/Fox combo because there is really no way to lock your opponent in hitstun.
Maybe you can use it randomly but still to be safe if you do decide to use it, do it rarely. It really is that easy to punish.
Also, I think you have less frames of recovery if you start it in the air and aim straight down and hit the stage midway. It has a "bounce" animation.

Jabzilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jabzilla
3DS FC
3007-8178-1682
Nope. There really isn't. Only quick fire bird custom special has the most uses on stage.

X-ian

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5344-0425-2862
Not saying it's viable, but I sometimes use its distance when I'm very close to up-b through shields. This leads into several whiffs as I pass quite a considerable distance and the person thinks they have enough range to punish. It's payoff is poor but passable if it does hit (you'd be safe) but if you can possibly get your opponent to fall for attacking and whiffing, you can punish them yourself. The fact you're moving horizontally through the shield means you won't go through the bounce animation and you couldn't be grabbed out of shield immediately if you were able to pass completely through. It isn't something to continually use, but it's a mix up to keep your opponent on your toes. TBH, I don't think any serious player would ever expect a Falco to do this, so hey, just as long as you don't side-b off the edge of the stage, it seems workable. The multiple hitbox start up and attack are what sets it apart from just side-b-ing.

Just don't get mad at me if you end up get punished for it, okay? hehe

Also, any other attempts at side-b-ing, either faraway or from the air into the stage are out of the question. Too much lag.

Also, if you're wondering, Falco's my secondary. I use him to cover the matchups Marth can't cover well with good results.

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Not saying it's viable, but I sometimes use its distance when I'm very close to up-b through shields. This leads into several whiffs as I pass quite a considerable distance and the person thinks they have enough range to punish. It's payoff is poor but passable if it does hit (you'd be safe) but if you can possibly get your opponent to fall for attacking and whiffing, you can punish them yourself. The fact you're moving horizontally through the shield means you won't go through the bounce animation and you couldn't be grabbed out of shield immediately if you were able to pass completely through. It isn't something to continually use, but it's a mix up to keep your opponent on your toes. TBH, I don't think any serious player would ever expect a Falco to do this, so hey, just as long as you don't side-b off the edge of the stage, it seems workable. The multiple hitbox start up and attack are what sets it apart from just side-b-ing.

Just don't get mad at me if you end up get punished for it, okay? hehe

Also, any other attempts at side-b-ing, either faraway or from the air into the stage are out of the question. Too much lag.

Also, if you're wondering, Falco's my secondary. I use him to cover the matchups Marth can't cover well with good results.
Wow, that's kind of smart.
Most people wouldn't see it coming, but still, it's very easy to punish. I might even try using this strategy once in a while.

I'm the other way around with my secondary, but only because I just like Marth so much, he's just a very fun character to play as, even if he got a couple nerfs here and there.
I guess we Falco and Marth mains are one in the same.

EDIT: Firebird can be used for damage when ledge guarding if you go off stage than jump to get back parallel to the ledge and Firebird back to ledge-grab, like the phantasm, or at an angle to the edge from above or below Not really sure if it will stage spike or if it's even really that useful, but I guess it's another mix-up that someone might not catch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom