• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Using Bouncing Fish to live longer

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Just a short thread about how effective bouncing fish is as a momentum cancel to live for a longer period of time.

Testing was done in training mode. CPU set to control. All characters tested used bthrow to kill Sheik. All characters rolled to the very end of Final destination. Sheik was vectoring each time.

Results:

Sonic bthrow @ 138% killed Sheik with vectoring only
>Sheik lived through bthrow by buffering air jump and changing hurtbox from 138%-139%
>>Sheik live through bthrow by buffering bouncing fish towards the stage from 138%-143%

Sheik lives 5% longer with bouncing fish and vectoring, which adds about 4 value to her weight which is 85

Ness brthow @ 87% killed sheik with vectoring only
>Sheik lived through bthrow by buffering jump and changing hurtbox from 87%-89%
>>Sheik lived through bthrow by buffering bouncing fish towards stage from 87%-91%

Sheik lives 4% longer with bouncing fish and vectoring, which adds 2 or 3 value to her weight which is 85

Mario bthrow @ 119% killed sheik with vectoring only
>Sheik lived through bthrow by buffering air jump and changing hurtbox from 119%-119%
>>Sheik live through bthrow by buffering bouncing fish towards the stage from 119%-122%

Sheik lives 3% longer with bouncing fish and vectoring, which adds about 2 value to her weight which is 85

I only use the word weight as a means of understanding how soon she would die compared to other characters. There are multiple factors involve such as fall speed, air speed, and even hurtboxes.

And for those who need a perspective on weight, Bowser is 128, Mario is 98, and Jigglypuff is 68

The verdict:

Situational, and hard to actually pinpoint when or where bouncing fish saved you or not. You could theoretically always bouncing fish when you think you may die as an assurance that its working. However that also means you're limiting yourself to double jump and vanish only as a means of recovery. Sheik already has an amazing recovery so it should hardly matter, but its still something to note.

Buffer bouncing fish when you think you're in true danger to hopefully live longer than expected.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I can already see myself SDing by accidentally using side b instead of vectoring and buffering bf. ;_;

great find though, cheers

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Usually when you're within 5% of death % the kill sparks normally come out, so i guess you should just buffer bouncing fish then

Danimal197

Smash Apprentice
I had a feeling this worked like this! Just another great contribution by the moose.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Tfw forgotten on the sheik boards
I still love you, even ifwhen I forget you! And on-topic, this is cool. It may not keep you alive for a lot longer, but it's often those little things, like barely DIing the wrong way or just barely throwing a grenade, that matter.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I think this saved me 3 times in 3 different matches earlier. I'm not sure exactly but I really feel like I would've died if I wasn't buffering bouncing fish.

This is gonna become a habit now, for survival. cheers again mate.

Top Bottom