• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses for the Pop Gun

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Okay, the popgun isn't completely useless. Let's discuss uses for it.
i've found two:

1. tech/roll chasing from a distance: when your opponent hits the ground, if you've got distance, charge the gun up, and shoot them as they get up, depending on how long you hold it its like 16 or so free damage. it works against character with long tech rolls.

2. edge pressure. it won't kill recoveries, but it can disrupt many characters who are trying to recover and often give you a chance to get an edgeguarded. I've gimped a recovering fox a couple times by plopping a peanut on his head while he was charging his fire fox, and then going down and f-air him as he started it back up.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
It seems to have some very useful mindgame applications, but where I am now, I rarely use it. Will probably take some time to master.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
It seems to have some very useful mindgame applications, but where I am now, I rarely use it. Will probably take some time to master.
Doctor T, we should play online sometime man. You seem like a knowledgable person, and i might learn something from getting my *** handed/beating you

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Doctor T, we should play online sometime man. You seem like a knowledgable person, and i might learn something from getting my *** handed/beating you
I'm really not that knowledgeable lol. I haven't even played the game for a week yet. :laugh:

That would be fun, though I kinda doubt I'll really be able to play online until I upgrade my internet service. I've always had a lot of lag in the area I'm in, and I've experienced the same with the few random matches I've played in Brawl so far. :(

pesticide

Smash Lord
uses ive found (even though there's already a thread on this):

- when fox/falco/wolf, etc. are spamming their lazers, shoot ur peanuts at the lazers. the peanuts will crack, and u can crawl under their lazers and eat the peanuts to get health

- when ike, metaknight ( i think ) use their sideB, u can hit them with the peanut and they will fall out of thier side B, and mess them up

- good for combo starters

- good for when they tech roll away from u and u are too far to follow up with an attack

Curse marke Sasuke

Smash Rookie
I use the pop-gun for baiting, hitting short hopped opponents (but you will need to get used to predicting it since pop-gun lags), hitting people trying to take my bananas (it happens XD), and recovery pressure is always nice.
Oh, you can also short-hop edge spam pop-gun, but it hasn't helped me much with recovering.

Robiin

Smash Cadet
I haven't got the game yet (european, freeloader is on the way though), but how much lag is involved using the gun? Does it come out fast, shoot, and then he puts it away fast? Hope you understand. I'm not too good at english ;)

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
It has a lot of lag. In shooting, and putting it away. Because of this it is difficult to use effectively. Though I'm starting to incorporate it into my game now. :)

Ghoom

Smash Cadet
Hello. Long time reader first time poster. I've found a nice little use for the pop-gun. You can edge hop to pop gun back to edge grab. Pretty useful for baiting opponents to come close to the edge where diddy reigns supreme. I usually use it in combination with edge hoped u-airs setting up for possible b-air or u-air. I've been playing spending alot of time one the edges with diddy lately. I've been dying alot but I am getting a good feel for diddys edge capabilities and so far I am really impressed. Pulled off alot of nice f-air or b-air to d-air of the edge with ease. Absoulutly loving diddy so far XD

Something also just feels right about playing a monkey that hangs off the edge half the time. Monkeys are world reknowned for thier hanging skills.

robman1

Smash Cadet
Something also just feels right about playing a monkey that hangs off the edge half the time. Monkeys are world reknowned for thier hanging skills.

Love it... lol...

Yeah i need to practice up on the edgehopping business. Anyone generous enough to give a run down to edgehopping with diddy?

edit: or a point in the right direction?

Ghoom

Smash Cadet
Well I can explain how I use edge hopping with diddy.

If your feeling some pressure go down and grab that edge. Your opponent is going to think they have you on the run and continue pressureing but as soon as they get in range you have alot of options avaliable to you. Like I said earlier, this is where you can bust out the gun. Pop one in their face, its going to piss em off. then just grab again then edge hop a u-air, you can grab again and try for another but I generaly won't let myself do the same move twice in a row with did. Mindgames=Win for diddy. So after you b-throw someone off the stage run over and egde hug, edge hop with some horizontal DI and d-air. Landed this one quite a bit last night. Just hopping and spamming all your aerials on the edge is usefull too. When someone is recovering, just edge hop a d-air back to ledge grab just to give em alittle reminder that you can spike the exact spot that they are trying to sweetspot, sometimes they will alter thier DI just enought to miss and be forced to up-b while you reign down with the d-air.

I'd like to try throwing and catching nanners on the edge. Throwing would be very useful. Especially against those troublesome pits. So after the d-air and he is using his up-b to get back from the abyss ledge hop some nanners behind you and just hope and pray that they muck up that **** up-b! If you could throw and catch on the edge it would give diddy even more control of the edge. Nothing makes me happier than to see diddy hanging there with the nanner and pit starting his up-b XD. This is all theoreitical thought. Haven't really tested the edge nanners yet. I suppose I could just simplify things and toss the nanner off the stage and just grab it to edge grab, either way, Diddy's edgegame is unsurpassed by anybody else.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Just be careful when fighting fast, powerful edgeguarders (like Marth for instance). If you spend too much time edge-hopping against opponents like these, you'll get yourself punished and killed really easily.

amg2833

Smash Rookie
To add to the lively popgun debate...

I've only recently decided to main Diddy, but from what I can tell, the popgun should be used like any other ranged attack. I try to throw one in at reasonable times when I've got some space between my opponent and I. A free attack, no matter how minimal the damage, is still free.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
edge hop pop gun? sounds interesting. i will try it.
i think i use pop gun more than every other diddy player on smashboards lol

also lol at whoever said the popgun is a combo starter

ThePurpleCobra

Smash Apprentice
ledgepop

pop gun is so a combo starter, it stuns and has knockback and everything. not.

the popgun ledgehop thing would be alot better if there wasnt so much lag when diddy gets to the ledge

Imp

Smash Apprentice
I use it for edgeguarding and mind games, but I'm pretty disappointed that the opponent can catch the peanut and throw it back at you.

Top Bottom