• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses and viability of Link's wave-dash?

D

Deleted member

Link is probably my best character and yet I don't wavedash with him at all unlike my other two alts. Do you guys think wavedashing is required for a high level Link? At CEO 2014, Nick Riddle managed to beat Esam with his Link and I didn't see him wavedash at all during that match. Even AeroLink who is arguably one of the best Links in the world only uses wavedash occasionally. I personally don't wavedash with Link because it's awkward to do, I'm bad at the timing, and I don't see it as useful for many situations.

How do you guys wavedash with Link?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
It's useful, but with link it has more limited options compared to other characters. He doesn't depend on it for quick approaches or retreats like some of the other lower traction cast members but it can still be used to generate space between you and your opponent should the need arise.

It's also good to note that wave landing from the edge is still useful and gives link a lag free landing when coming back on the edge, as well as moving between platforms. His movement options aren't really dependent on it though and don't give link any sort of advantage in most general situations anyways. Plus there's plenty of good players that marginally use it or don't use it at all with their characters. I don't wavedash with him often either unless I need to space away from my opponent, whereas with space animals I utilize wavedashing much more frequently.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Wavedashing is very useful for spacing. Sometimes if I want to space a Fair properly, I resort to wavedashing back and ensuring I can hop into the right range I need to land the tip of Link's sword on someone's shield.

Wavelanding is by far more important with Link, however. Since he's not the fastest character in the game, wavelanding helps him A LOT with his speed on the platforms. Learning to waveland off the edge of platforms is also a very reliable tool.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Link's wavedash is bad, but it does give you a movement option.
I don't use it because I just don't like it.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I wavedash a lot for just help with the zoning game in general. Spacing jabs = incredibly useful.

Also I can't see what good is moonwalking. It looks like unnecessary flash. I can see it as a mindgame to fool your opponent that you're approaching, but otherwise the tech is kinda meh.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You move faster if you jump after a moonwalk, allowing you to edgeguard people further out.

Fortress

Smash Master
Run in to bait grab > Moonwalk back > follow with absolutely anything

Just one of the many uses of moonwalking.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
The thing is, wavedashing has some startup to it, and doesn't net as much distance as moonwalking. With moonwalking, link still retains the ability to shift into Dash Attack should his situation change before he can utilize options like MW>uB, or MW>F-Smash. Wavedashing limits Link to one movement option (though that doesn't make it useless by any means), and you commit to that movement.

Top Bottom