• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Useful technique: Magnet-canceled tether

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
I told some of the other Lucas players about this at Apex, so I figured I should make a thread explaining the technique. Most people probably know that you can cancel your tether by pressing down after your snake connects to the ledge. To do a magnet, you just have to press down b, which lets you cancel and immediately magnet. The main use of this technique is knocking opponents off of the ledge when they are trying to ledgehog or edgeguard you, and it is very effective since the magnet can pull them down, or the release hitbox can stage spike them or just knock them away and let you get an edgeguard. This gives you a way to counter attack out of your tether and avoid getting edgeguarded, making you much less vulnerable when recovering. I used this a few times in a MM against Squeak, so I'll post some examples once that match gets uploaded.

It's important to realize that this doesn't solve all of your issues, since your opponent can still gimp you if they manage their invincibility well. However, adding this to your mix of recovery options will make it much more difficult for your opponent to edgeguard you, and it actually threatens your opponent, unlike normal tether cancel mixups that are purely evasive. Be aware that this technique varies in effectiveness depending on the opposing character's edgeguarding options. One last nice thing about magnet cancels is that magnets stall you in the air, so you won't fall too far from the ledge like you can when trying normal tether cancels.

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Did that MM get recorded?

On another note, this tech sounds very useful, and it's such a simple concept I'm surprised I didn't think of it sooner. Just like I'm only now thinking of dropping off the tether and using OU Burst's invincibility and quick hitbox. If you grab on the ledge early with tether so you're grabbed on above, this magnet cancel tech could be even more useful since you'd land and it'd set up Bair depending on the percent and DI.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Magnet offstage in general is way underrated; I've said this for a while but never particularly used it all that efficiently since I'm bad.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Another useful technique, while rather simple, is in the situation when you are really fishing for a gimp or meteor off stage and you're all our of jumps is to do a B reversal with your magnet + air dodge up and tether.

It doesn't work 100% on every stage, some better than others, but that crazy tether though how does it work?
10/10, too good, I'm done.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Why wouldn't that work on every stage? The tether's "box" where it will successfully grab the ledge doesn't change based on stage.

Also, this isn't very relevant to tether cancelling, just sayin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom