• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Usage of Dtilt?

KaDeYa

Smash Rookie
When the 3DS came out, I mained Mario alongside PAC-MAN and--
Eer... let me get to the point; Do any of you use Mario's Dtilt? If so how often?

I'm not usual with Marios since I've stopped using him for a long time and don't talk much in my Crew about him because there's only 1 Mario main in the group. Like Uptilt, It has combo potential, especially if you're looking forward to grabbing your opponent afterwards. I've been trying to pick Mario back up (trying to look for a main besides Sonic) and I've been using Dtilt more than Uptilt. Is that a good thing/idea? I still use uptilt but I use it less than Dtilt.

Also; any good Dtilt combos I probably don't know about?

First topic I created, I usual get off topic sometimes so sorry if I did, thanks if you reply. And sorry if there's also a topic already like this. Thanks Mario mains!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's D-tilt is a good move for stopping grabs, mostly. I don't really use it for much else, but if you sense a dashgrab coming, D-tilt is one of your best responses to that.

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
down tilt is a good move. when someone is on the edge without invincibility, marios down tilt can reach and hit them. im pretty sure it works on certain characters, if not, most. very good stage edge guarding tool.

Last edited:

•Saıls•

Smash Champion
NNID
Sailings
3DS FC
3325-2973-6688
Nice to see I'm not the only one using Dtilt. FG Marios never use it (or the ones I'm facing never use it.)

Last edited:

TimSin

Smash Cadet
DTilt is good in this combo: DThrow, Dtilt, DSmash. You can also do DThrow, DTilt, and string Utilts. You might be able to do Dthrow, DTilt, FSmash, but I'm not sure. DTilt is good for combos.

JamesUK7

Smash Cadet
NNID
JamesUK7
3DS FC
4167-4581-3341
Dtilt is nice for popping up your opponent for a follow up, at higher percents you can use Dtilt and if they air dodge you can catch them with an Usmash.

TimSin

Smash Cadet
You can also use DTilt to catch people who are rolling. Usually, I find myself rolling behind my opponent, and then they roll behind me, and we keep trying to get behind each other. DTilt is a good way to attack your opponent before they can roll behind. Basically, you roll behind, and quickly use DTilt.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I personally use it to combo when I feel people are getting tired of my never-ending up-tilts.

I just went into training to try out some combos, the CPU was Mario:

Very Low Percentages (less than ~10%)
D-Throw > D-tilt > U-tilt > F-tilt
D-Throw > D-tilt > D-tilt > F-tilt

Low Percentages (less than ~30%)
D-tilt > D-tilt > F-tilt
D-tilt > D-tilt > Jab Combo
D-tilt > D-tilt > Sliding U-Smash
(Add or take out D-tilts based on percent)

Mid Percentage (over ~30%), when opponent gets popped up into the air
D-tilt > U-tilt > [insert air combo, ex: U-air > U-air > Up-B] << starting ~30% to ~50%
D-tilt > U-air > [insert air combo, ex: U-air > U-air > Up-B] << starting ~60%
D-tilt > Up-B

I did this on a CPU, so of course the percentages may be a bit off. There's DI to consider, air dodging, etc., but these should give you a good idea.

Last edited:

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
At very low percentages I've found that you can extend your combos:

DThrow->DTilt->DTilt->UTilt->UTilt

DTilt is a good move. Also good at putting you enemies up in the air at high percentages.

Top Bottom