• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Urgent Help Please.

TooPooOrNot

Smash Rookie
Hey guys.

I just found out that there will be a Smash Wii U comp next weekend in my area. This is something I am super stoked about since we never get comps. As in this is the second in maybe 12 years.

I would like to attend because I imagine the people playing will be random scrubby preteens that rock up to mash some buttons. This is the problem with most of the Mario Kart competitors.
And hopefully I can do well enough. Since the last time I played Smash was Melee about 10 years ago.

Here is the problem. I don't have Smash Wii U to practice. But I did find my find my Cube and my Melee copy. So I am practicing a generic play style in Smash.

What I need to know from anybody who can help me is what can I practice in Smash that will help in Wii U. I know they aren't the same, but surely something must carry over. I am aware things like L-Cancel and Shffl'ng aren't in it. But what else should I just ignore from Smash Melee for now.

And the second question is who to pick. I need somebody in Melee that is available from fresh, I can't go unlocking anybody right now to then still practice in a few days, that is also in Wii U that will share a similar play style. I was looking at Pikachu just for the hell of it. I don't remember who is good and who is bad anymore.

Thanks for any help.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I would heavily recommend Mario (runner-up being Marth) just because he will be an upgrade from Melee, and he would give you the best chance of winning in Smash 4.

But you can play Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Marth, Kirby, Ness, Peach, (and maybe others) etc. because Melee without the advanced techniques isn't too much different from Smash 4.

As for concepts to practice and keep in mind, try to be mobile in neutral with things like Foxtrots, walking, empty hops, short hops, etc. and play with stage control in mind. Focus on being smooth.

If you have the time, watch Smash 4 gameplay of whatever character you choose. For Mario and Marth, there's Izaw's Art of series that can help a bunch with knowing what the character is capable of.

TooPooOrNot

Smash Rookie
I would heavily recommend Mario (runner-up being Marth) just because he will be an upgrade from Melee, and he would give you the best chance of winning in Smash 4.

But you can play Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Marth, Kirby, Ness, Peach, (and maybe others) etc. because Melee without the advanced techniques isn't too much different from Smash 4.

As for concepts to practice and keep in mind, try to be mobile in neutral with things like Foxtrots, walking, empty hops, short hops, etc. and play with stage control in mind. Focus on being smooth.

If you have the time, watch Smash 4 gameplay of whatever character you choose. For Mario and Marth, there's Izaw's Art of series that can help a bunch with knowing what the character is capable of.
Thank you for the help.

Currently I am enjoying Pikachu. Getting back on stage with his Up B is a little awkward for me. I like Peach because she is floaty and so simple to get back on the stage. But I don't feel much for her in any other situation. And the other two I like are Fox and CPT. Falcon.

Pikachu looks cool but I feel he has no reach. Falcon looks ******** but has mega reach compared to Pikachu. Fox is just Fox I suppose.

So out of those three I would like somebody to just tell me who to pick. This is a temporary character that I am just using for the week and for the comp and don't have the time to try all three out. Or four, if Peach is worth it. After the comp I will know if there are going to be more going forward and I can pick a main and get to work with them. The event is hosted by Nintendo South Africa and it is rather out of the blue. So I am hopping it is because they are leading up to announcing Smash for the Switch.

Oh right, I like Mario, but we have to use Mario and a standard Kart set up for our MK8DX event and I just want something different.

I really do like Pikachu though.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Thank you for the help.

Currently I am enjoying Pikachu. Getting back on stage with his Up B is a little awkward for me. I like Peach because she is floaty and so simple to get back on the stage. But I don't feel much for her in any other situation. And the other two I like are Fox and CPT. Falcon.

Pikachu looks cool but I feel he has no reach. Falcon looks ******** but has mega reach compared to Pikachu. Fox is just Fox I suppose.

So out of those three I would like somebody to just tell me who to pick. This is a temporary character that I am just using for the week and for the comp and don't have the time to try all three out. Or four, if Peach is worth it. After the comp I will know if there are going to be more going forward and I can pick a main and get to work with them. The event is hosted by Nintendo South Africa and it is rather out of the blue. So I am hopping it is because they are leading up to announcing Smash for the Switch.

Oh right, I like Mario, but we have to use Mario and a standard Kart set up for our MK8DX event and I just want something different.

I really do like Pikachu though.
Pikachu, Captain Falcon, or Marth.

Pikachu has really nice combos and racks up damage well, but struggles to KO outside of U-throw > Thunder, edge-guards, and smash attacks.

Falcon is extremely strong and fast, but gets combo'd hard. He doesn't have anything super complicated about him.

Outside of Mario, I'd personally recommend Marth. His game plan is straightforward, has many ways to accomplish it, and tippers are crazy strong.

But if you're enjoying Pikachu, then by all means, play him. Just watch some Pikachu resources on him in Smash 4 so you know what to look for while you're playing.

TooPooOrNot

Smash Rookie
Thanks man.

Ye, Pikachu is fun. I have been using up throw into a bunch of up smashes and carrying the opponent to an advantageous position on stage. I didn't even think of up throw to lightning. I have typically been using lighting when it seems I am falling onto somebody's up smash to help me out there a little.

I so badly want to play Marth, haha. But I have only finished the game with CPT. Falcon at the moment. All my old saves are long gone.

Now that you mention it, CPT. Falcon did seem to get beaten up a touch to easy.

You have helped a lot. Thanks a ton. Will grind this out for the week and get into it good and proper next week.

Top Bottom