• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uptilt, Downtilt, Inhale

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
Looking for some tips on when to use these 3 moves. They're my least used and I feel like I need to be using them more often.

Uptilt - what situations are optimal for using this move? I've found it useful to deal with shorthoppers sometimes. I know you can use it for a downthrow combo at low percents, but I tend to go for downthrow + nair instead. So I almost never use it. When should I be using this?

Downtilt - I seem to use Ftilt instead and ignore this move. What situations should I be using Dtilt instead of Ftilt?

Inhale - I use this as a landing mix up to catch opponents who try to take advantage of ending lag on DDD's decent. Any other times I should be using this?

Thanks! Fellow DDD main here trying to get better.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Dtilt is actually your fastest grounded move, so use it if you need something that comes out quickly at the expense of range. Ftilt is good if you're in your optimal spacing, which is just around the edge of Ftilt/Jab's hitbox, but Dtilt is good if your opponent is inside that spacing, or you need to stuff an approach from someone and Ftilt/Jab are just too slow. Utilt works as an antiaerial and can be used to follow up falling Nair at lower percents. I wind up not using it as much as I should myself. Inhale I use a lot for landing or as a mixup. You can also use it offstage as a suicide move if the situation calls for it. B-Reversed Inhale works as a good mixup alongside Bair.

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
I also would like to use inhale more, but it doesn't come naturally for me.

Dtilt is great at low percents to rack up 20 percent damage, then you can grab into dthrow into upair. Is also great to create space quick.

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
UpTilt combos into a fast-fall Nair. DownTilt works good after a jab-cancel or if you need a fast move. Inhale is a good mixup against close ranged characters. Inhale also works decently if you can read a charged projectile (Jr's cannonball, Thoron, Gyro) and wanna be funny.

Bullhoggery

Smash Rookie
Yeah those videos are the best character guide out there for Any of the characters. Amazing videos really.

nRg Adanimo

Smash Rookie
I can suggest a possible follow up using DDD's uptilt. After descending from the air with your back turned to your opponent, try to score a Bair. If the opponent happens to block or tries to spot dodge the Bair you have the option to throw in a 50/50 option select with his Utilt due to the fact that it hits slightly behind DDD. Slightly risky but the trade is worth it.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
FF Nair>Uptilt works.
I'm fairly sure during up-tilt Dedede's head is intangible.
Dtilt is good for catching rolls, comes out faster and finishes sooner than dash attack, it acts as a quick alternative.
Inhale is good for both ground and air mixups, it can catch air dodges depending on timing, and depending on the move used it can seriously mess up your opponents spacing.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
FF>Nair>Up tilt>grab>down throw> up air/nair is a combo I do a lot. Down throw>Fair>down tilt also works on most characters. I'm also currently trying out down throw>fast fall during up air, on certain heavies only such as DK I'm pretty sure you can follow up with a down smash or maybe an up tilt, gonna test it on multiple characters tomorrow but as I said you can only really follow up on it on heavy weights.

Top Bottom