• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UpB out of shield?

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Is this still something that can be used against multi hitting moves? I just seem to get smacked by ROBs Dsmash all the time when I try to go for it.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
From what I understand of it, you need to do a perfect guard in order to have enough time to counter with the Dolphin Slash (up b). It is also based on your opponent's height above you, though I do imagine you can counter even ground based opponents based on the recovery frame from the attack.

Hopefully we can get a more experienced Marth to explain how this works, cus I am also curious about this

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Well before you got invincibility on it that allowed you to just punish those kinds of moves. Now I get hit before dolphin slash even comes out.

I mean honestly at this point you can pretty much punish with anything else out of shield but I was just wondering if this was still an option.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Well before you got invincibility on it that allowed you to just punish those kinds of moves. Now I get hit before dolphin slash even comes out.

I mean honestly at this point you can pretty much punish with anything else out of shield but I was just wondering if this was still an option.
Your guess is as good as mine at this point.Though if you are getting hit as you try to interrupt multihits, it's either that:
1) Dolphin Slash no longer has Frame 1 invincibility/priority
2) The initial hitbox not large enough to counter the opposing hitbox before the invincibility ends
3) Not enough time for the button buffer to initiate the move

When I get a chance, I'll try to test it out. Not sure which of these options may be the problem, but its the best guess I've got.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Your guess is as good as mine at this point.Though if you are getting hit as you try to interrupt multihits, it's either that:
2) The initial hitbox not large enough to counter the opposing hitbox before the invincibility ends

When I get a chance, I'll try to test it out. Not sure which of these options may be the problem, but its the best guess I've got.
From my own experience I'd like to say it's number one.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990

If it happens to be option one,then good god that's horrible

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
OK, I just tested out the out of shield Dolphin Slash against Rob's side b, and I figured out the problem. There is a slight delay on when you can act after performing the perfect guard, and as Rob's side b is a constant hitbox, by the time you can act, you would have already been hit.

I'll edit this once I can get help from a human player to test this out. Perhaps my timing may be off.

Top Bottom