• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up tilt

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
So, as an aspiring Wario main I'm finding a huge issue in one thing: Utilizing uptilt correctly and, well, ever. I've tried some things here and there but they almost never work out for me in a real match. Advice?

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Sorry duder, but I don't know how to apply uptilt effectively. Imo I feel its best used as an anti air, but it's got some startup on it, so it's not a good idea to just throw out. I'd advise you to watch some of reflex's vids, as he uses utilt pretty well. Also it's not a big deal, but when you have a general question like this, mind posting in the wario social thread. It just reduces the clutter of all these new threads, and makes these boards a little cleaner, ya dig?

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
It just reduces the clutter of all these new threads, and makes these boards a little cleaner, ya dig?
Tbh I think we can make these move specific threads really useful if we compile a list of characters & combos involving the move.
For example:

Depending on the weight of the character and percent you can juggle them. Really depends on their DI.

Platform techchase mixup. Lets say you BiteThrow or FThrow them onto a platform and they expect you to swiftly follow up.
You can mixup with an uptilt if you believe they'll spot dodge on recovery.
Just jump up onto the platform while they do the spot dodge and uptilt.

Hard read anti air, like at the edge. Never do it if they have a spare jump.

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
I've tried a super hard read for AA, it tends to get beaten by opposing dairs, though. I'll have to try that spotdodge mixup and see what can work with that. Pretty read-dependent move I suppose.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Up-tilt has deceptively long active hitboxes, so you can bait your opponent into prematurely trying to punish you with it. Against a seasoned player at the matchup, it's a pretty poor move in general, I wouldn't use it at all.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I would just... not use it. Every character's gotta have their bad move. That being said, usmash is a great move and almost always works better whenever you would want to use utilt. Except for beating spot dodges. But that's a pretty hard read to begin with. Especially when you can beat spot dodges with a much better move: bite.

ECTO

Smash Rookie
I find it good against platform techs, for the mixups. Or for characters who like to dive in from above. But overall like everyone said, there are other options, Up-Smash generally works just as good.

Neos

Smash Cadet
Wario's up-tilt beats out so many attacks and of course its hitbox lasts a long time. Not to mention that it even help continue or create a combo. It's also good to use as a bait for opponents to approach, thinking that they could land an easy hit. Also people don't really expect it as well.

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
I mainly use uptilt for when a combo is ending to get in some more quick damage, but it doesn't happen to often. I also use it against sonic, i noticed that if you time the uptilit at the right time when sonic is coming from above you it stops him and then you can do a quick move before he goes rolling away. Ive used it against some sonics at a local over the summer a few times and after a few well timed up tilits it tends to slow down the sonic player from my experience.

Matasd

Smash Cadet
For the most part the only time I've really had success with up tilt is as an anti air, sometimes it can extend combos if you throw it out while their above you.

Top Bottom