• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up tilt out-of-shield possible at all?

Arcana~

I Am Thou
NNID
Orange-Shinobi
I mean without having to perfect-shield drop. Up tilt out-of-shield in the same manner as up-B and up smash. I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't be able to be done but yet for some reason it in fact can't be done.. Or can it?

Narpas_sword

afaik...

Upb and upsmash OOS work because you need to hit the stick up hard enough top jump out of sheild, then use B or smash in the squat-frames.

a tilt doesn't trigger tap-jump, so you can't get out of your shield.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Nope. It's a matter of what moves you can do to cancel the jumpsquat animation. The reason you can upB and usmash OoS is that you can jump-cancel those moves, and since jumping instantly ends your shield, you can do those moves OoS

afaik...

Upb and upsmash OOS work because you need to hit the stick up hard enough top jump out of sheild, then use B or smash in the squat-frames.

a tilt doesn't trigger tap-jump, so you can't get out of your shield.
That's not quite it, because you don't need to use the control stick to jump OoS - you can claw or use custom controls for the same effect, and you can only usmash OoS, you can't dsmash or fsmash, either.

It's just a matter of what you can jump cancel.

Last edited:

Arcana~

I Am Thou
NNID
Orange-Shinobi
When you think about it it does seem like it can be done if you were holding the control stick up while in shield then press jump->A to do the up tilt but it still comes out as an up smash for some reason despite the fact that the stick movement and attack input are separate.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
because you can't uptilt during jumpsquat frames.

MaxThunder

PM Support
up-smash and up-b was made to override the jumpsquat because otherwise it would be really hard to do those with tap jump...
so since you wouldn't start a tap jump when you do a tilt anyways, up-tilt wasn't made to override the jumpsquat...

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
You actually can do it with Yoshi or Peach because of double jump landing. Assuming frame perfect action from both, double jump landing is 10 frames faster than wavedashing straight down.

EclipseKirby

Smash Cadet
That's not quite it, because you don't need to use the control stick to jump OoS - you can claw or use custom controls for the same effect, and you can only usmash OoS, you can't dsmash or fsmash, either.

It's just a matter of what you can jump cancel.
I think he was trying to explain why upsmash and upB can be done in jumpsquat in the first place. making it easier to do upsmash and standing upB without triggering a jump is probably what Sakurai was thinking

Top Bottom