• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up Throw to Up-Tilt on Platforms

Blu19

Smash Rookie
I feel like whenever I throw someone (particularly spacies) onto a platform, if they tech the throw my Up Tilt will whiff. I especially have a lot of trouble with people who tech and then buffer a spot dodge or shield afterwords. In these situations should I be wavelanding onto the platform to grab or is this just a result of me not inputing my Up Tilt fast enough? If this is the case, in what situations is waveland to grab useful?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

FEOwain

Smash Apprentice
React to which way they tech, and if they miss the tech react to their getup option OR predict the missed tech and utilt/uair. Waveland tech chasing is really strong if you are fast enough on reaction.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I would assume you are inputting the attack too soon, and whiffing during the tech animation's invincibility, up until you said they are able to buffer things after teching and evade your punish attempt (obviously you're super late in the latter scenario).

Techchasing is fundamental. Any time you create a techchase opportunity, you need to have an exact understanding of your opponent's options and find a way to cover it with an appropriate hitbox or grab. Know their getup animations to aid your reaction time and accuracy with/to visual cues. Know your knockdown percentages.

With a grab, you get to decide almost exactly where someone well tech, and when. You have to have your timing down with covering techchase options. With platforms, your opponent's options are restricted, and you have to know what this entails and decide what the best punish would be based on his percent and location on stage relative to the platform/ledge/other platforms.

Watch EXACTLY how PPMD uses shorthop (non-fastfalled) to cover (usually) every techchase option fastfallers have in the bottom platform. Marth's aerial mobility is just good enough to allow for 100% coverage if you can get in position in time.

At low% you're going to want to ff the uair and hit him with a tipper and then utilt. As his percent climbs don't yolo the utilt, you'll whiff (early); be precise and time it. Pivot as necessary to keep your combo going, but obviously try to end with utilt facing center stage to set up for a free dair or bair gimp.

It looks like you just need to work on techchasing more. Techchasing means a free hit usually, unless it requires a hard read and you goes wrong lol (consider not only likelihood of where he will tech but also reward potential for each option). But think strongly about your punishes. NEVER let them techroll to the ledge and go unpunished.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Watch EXACTLY how PPMD uses shorthop (non-fastfalled) to cover (usually) every techchase option fastfallers have in the bottom platform. Marth's aerial mobility is just good enough to allow for 100% coverage if you can get in position in time.
Unfortunately uair is actually bad if you hit an opponent rolling to the edge, and against fastfallers you can even get punished for it. The uair tech chase will still probably work for a while, but I think in the future ffers will learn how to counter it, because it's not hard at all.

At the moment I think marth's best options for plat tech chasing are utilt/fsmash against TIP / missed tech and wl grab against rolls. There are probably still some strategies that cover more options, but covering all options in a meaningful way seems very difficult.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So you're telling me I'm going to get punished for chasing a tech with a late ff tipper uair?

HOW?

And if they roll to the edge, the gimme tipper fsmash is obvious lol. You're sleeping on wL grab/NIL grab on the plat.

EDIT: I just saw the vid, at least the fall lol my phone sucks. Interesting!

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
And if they roll to the edge, the gimme tipper fsmash is obvious lol. You're sleeping on wL grab/NIL grab on the plat.
Obviously you still need to mix up your techs, rolls are easy to cover if you know they are coming. I'm just saying that the "guaranteed" uair tech chase is fradulent.

I agree that wl grab is very strong, probably the strongest tool, but at least I can't cover every option with it.

By the way, you can probably counter fair/uair marth's uair with ganon the same way ;). I don't know though, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Top Bottom