• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-Throw Potential Changes

Shadowtheoriginalone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadoAnnaru
3DS FC
4528-3417-2533
Switch FC
SW 4317 5992 9594
As I was playing with my brother, who really likes the custom animations of a lot of characters, mainly Charizard's cool Up-Throw animation. He once dash-grabbed me near the edge and up-throwed. We were both disappointed to see that he didn't suicide-killed me but only slammed onto an invisible floor. Kirby can already grab-suicide in Melee, which I hope will come back. Perhaps they can add the same changes to Charizard's Up-Throw and have it be able to pummel to the bottom of the stage? This is only a suggestion. Tell me what you guys think.

HeWhoCanSee

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure that Kirby's suicide throws were also removed in Brawl, so the only way to Kirbicide someone was to inhale them or to Up-Throw on a moving platform.

Shadowtheoriginalone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadoAnnaru
3DS FC
4528-3417-2533
Switch FC
SW 4317 5992 9594
Coding problem iirc.
Oh, I see. Well if it's like that, I'm glad they're going to put it in. ^_^

I'm pretty sure that Kirby's suicide throws were also removed in Brawl, so the only way to Kirbicide someone was to inhale them or to Up-Throw on a moving platform.
I already knew they were removed in Brawl. That's why I said "in Melee" and "I hope it comes back." You see?

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
i think it'd suck anyway.
It'd be awesome to actually have him land onstage at all times, for logics sake, but appart from that the UpThrow lives from being used at the ledge.

Shadowtheoriginalone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadoAnnaru
3DS FC
4528-3417-2533
Switch FC
SW 4317 5992 9594
Just pointing out that the way throws work now is probably the issue, if it's not because of balance or competitive gameplay.
The developers can already code different animations and hitboxes for every character. I'm sure given enough time, they can code this also. But as Ace55, it's a coding problem and will most likely be revised in the next patch.

i think it'd suck anyway.
It'd be awesome to actually have him land onstage at all times, for logics sake, but appart from that the UpThrow lives from being used at the ledge.
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly but the reason I brought this up is because when Charizard does his Up-Throw, he ends up a little ahead of him, enough to be seen that he slams on an invisible platform near the ledge or...

Or on a high platform.
A high and/or moving platform. :3

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
I know that was your reason for bringing it up. changing it to make zard SD while Uthrowing would mean you couldn't use Uthrow near the ledge anymore, which would suck in my opinion

Ace55

Smash Lord
They could make it go straight up and down so it's only possible on moving platforms (aka Smashville maybe Norfair). I personally like SD throws.

Drike

Smash Rookie
in every situation where you could perform a uthrow suicide, you would rather perform a dthrow meteor
Charizard's current U-throw moves in the air. I'm not really sure what affects it, but there have been times that my D-throw would NOT have meteored, so i did U-throw and it ended up going off of the stage. Aside from the fact that it can move off-stage, moving platforms (smashville, dracula's castle) add more circumstances that Charizard could suicide when he could not meteor. It would definitely buff Charizard, and would make his F-throw more useful when you do not wan't to suicide close to the edge/on a moving platform.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Suicides are just a stupid gameplay mechanic to begin with. It was fine with Kirby because he was the worst character, but there really shouldn't be any mechanic that encourages killing yourself and your opponent to win. That just defeats the whole purpose of fighting games to begin with.

Drike

Smash Rookie
I think as a whole, suicide moves are a little broken and exploitative. However, it could be done right. I do not think Bowser's suicide in Brawl was broken, because both players had control over which way it went. Not to mention, whichever character had less percentage had more control, so Bowser could not take out an opponent's clean stock with a lot of percent unless the opponent just wasn't paying attention and wasn't pushing into the stage.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Coding problem iirc.
indeed.

this, unfortunately, simply isn't possible. we expended a great deal of coding effort trying to implement what you suggest. we are as disappointed as you are. hopefully you can take solace in the fact that "holy ****, charizard is doing a seismic toss in smash bros!"

Shadowtheoriginalone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadoAnnaru
3DS FC
4528-3417-2533
Switch FC
SW 4317 5992 9594
indeed.

this, unfortunately, simply isn't possible. we expended a great deal of coding effort trying to implement what you suggest. we are as disappointed as you are. hopefully you can take solace in the fact that "holy ****, charizard is doing a seismic toss in smash bros!"
That's too bad. I would've liked seeing potential suicide throws with Charizard, besides (as others have said) the fact you can still suicide throw on a moving platform.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm fairly sure you can't suicide throw on a moving platform.

Shadowtheoriginalone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadoAnnaru
3DS FC
4528-3417-2533
Switch FC
SW 4317 5992 9594
Top Bottom