• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up B

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
A lot of Yoshi's tools were adjusted from the last game so they actually fit together more cohesively. The engine and global changes to the roster don't effect Yoshi as much as they effect everyone else due to his amazing double jump and its ability to just break strings if they even leave a single frame open. All good stuff.

However, they nerfed and altered a few things to compensate for this. D-air does less damage and less shield damage, but it's easier to connect the hits. F-air isn't as spammy, nor does it spike as easily, nor does it check ledge grabs as well, but it doesn't need to spike to KO now. B-air is a bit harder to land on people with since the slaps are faster, but it's a KO move now so that's neat.

However, the wonkiest give-n-take I think we got is Yoshi's Egg Throw.

Sakurai decided to give Yoshi some Jordan-brand booties this time around, so whenever he Up B's while having a bit of jumping momentum, even if it's a short hop, he flies into the sky as if he straight double jumped. Now, the good in this is that, in a game where recoveries have been dunked on, Yoshi's recovery game is deceptively amazing. He can throw eggs to cover his own entrance onto the stage, and if that's not enough he can flutter jump in and cover his entrance with a f-air, air dodge behind or onto a platform, or grab the ledge.

The downside to this is that short hopping and throwing eggs to zone is pretty much gone. It's impossible. You go too high up, and if you wait for your upward momentum to go away before doing it, it's super obvious and the tilt of the egg is too sharp for it to bounce. We gained safety, but we lost pressure...at first glance.

In actuality, you can play around it by working on your ground game with the eggs. Yoshi's fast as hell...cause nearly everyone is now, but Yoshi's pretty quick even comparatively speaking. So you can throw your eggs to get a long arch with the bounce attached, then dash back and b-reversal another egg throw or dash forward and...egg throw. The point of emphasizing it is because some match-ups, like Inklings or DDD, are going to be very dependent on using eggs to disrupt setups like the roller or gordo bullet hell simulation. Thus, I made this thread to draw attention to utilizing grounded egg throw sprees, and to see if anyone's working around the lack of short-hop egg throws.

JKrisom

Smash Rookie
I have found grounded up-b to be quite effective against some matchups, especially the slow characters. Granted, I did not play Sm4sh nearly as much as I did the other entries in the franchise, so it did not take me a lot to notice that the grounded option was way better than short hopping the egg throws.

I do like that the eggs bounce on the ground, that way if someone is getting up the ledge you can throw a couple of eggs close to the ground, then when they jump you can just follow up with a Fair or a Uair. They also feel way easier to adjust than Melee, 64 or Brawl.

I'm not sure but I think a well placed egg throw can actually break the Inklings out of their roller, but I have to double-test that.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I have found grounded up-b to be quite effective against some matchups, especially the slow characters. Granted, I did not play Sm4sh nearly as much as I did the other entries in the franchise, so it did not take me a lot to notice that the grounded option was way better than short hopping the egg throws.

I do like that the eggs bounce on the ground, that way if someone is getting up the ledge you can throw a couple of eggs close to the ground, then when they jump you can just follow up with a Fair or a Uair. They also feel way easier to adjust than Melee, 64 or Brawl.

I'm not sure but I think a well placed egg throw can actually break the Inklings out of their roller, but I have to double-test that.
Hitting Inkling largely depends on their play style, but it's still important to keep up egg throw pressure.

If Inkling uses roller, they have to walk up right and run into you. An egg will always hit them and stop the attack.

If they simply dash, though, they'll go under nearly any projectile in the game, save brief moments where they pop out of the ground.

The egg pressure makes sure they don't throw down the roller, flatten you, and confirm a free KO. This is where dashing back and using a b-reversal egg throw is handy, because it makes sure they aren't super close up to use the roller, but they aren't super far so they don't get hit by the egg.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Yeah, it's awful, I feel that this one change massively hampers Yoshi's neutral. You can sort of account for the Yosh Jordans by doing it on the way down from a short hop, or you may just be able to throw grounded ones in some matchups, but I still really hate the change.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Yeah, it's awful, I feel that this one change massively hampers Yoshi's neutral. You can sort of account for the Yosh Jordans by doing it on the way down from a short hop, or you may just be able to throw grounded ones in some matchups, but I still really hate the change.
Try practicing dashing around and egg-throwing in training mode. Once you get used to it it isn't too bad to work with, and it actually HELPS your neutral in other ways. I mean, you don't get as many angles to throw eggs...that's gone for good, but you'll be much more slippery when you're falling back and dashing up with bouncing eggs pelting your enemy.

I used to get bodied for free by Inklings, but I was able to come out on top pretty decisively against the last two I fought by focusing more on pelting them with these bouncing eggs. B-reversal egg throw's pretty good for this type of thing now that the eggs bounce.

Top Bottom