• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-B Spike

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this has been talked about before, but I think I've found a very situational use for the Up-B.

Everyone knows that people directly under the Up-B will get sent downwards (I don't know if this is a spike or a meteor, someone else can verify). However, I've found that there's a bit of lag when you hit your opponent. This is significant because, as you stall momentarily in the air, you can cancel your Up-B in the same spot that you hit your opponent.

What are the applications/why is this useful? I'll give you a recent example. I was playing my friend's Pit (0%), and I was at ~40% when he caught me without jumps under the edge in FD, forcing me to use my Up-B. My friend knows to edgehog because if I cancel my jump then I won't stop him from stealing the edge from me. I just let the Up-B keep going, surprising him and spiking him downwards, killing him. At the same time as I hit him, I instinctively hit down to cancel the jump and because of the stall I caught the ledge whereas if I canceled it in the same place without hitting my friend I would've been screwed.

As I said, it's situational, but it can work with some mindgames.

Most people could just roll off the edge, I figured, but the same thing happened to me just now with another friend's Ike. He rolled as I came down (I could've canceled and still grabbed, I know) but I kept going just because I was a life up. For some reason, I still hit him as I cruised past the ledge and hit him during his roll, and it sent him flying diagonally downwards (kind of like what happened when people used Link's Up-B on the edge in Melee). I still died, but so did he.

It can also work in the air. People sometimes misjudge when I'm going to cancel or when DDD has super armor frames so I'll still get hit, and then come down and spike them to their deaths and cancel to float to the edge. Again, it's situational, but it's an effective mindgame. I've gotten at least 1/20 of my DDD kills using it after I discovered it.

Before people say "Your friends must suck balls," they don't. We're all solid players, we've played Melee competitively for years. The thing is, this isn't a move that you spam. It's a move that can take people by surprise and could land you a solid kill, but I think a lot of people underrate the upB and cancel it too early.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Yeah it works great.

Also, you can use the rising part of the Up+B (Dedede's head) to push the foe into the side of the stage resulting in a stage spike, as a bonus, its very likely that your opponent will hit you in the middle of the stage spike, resetting your third Jump, witch you can use to get back to the stage.

Overall, Up+B can be used in so many ways, you can learn to do fake-outs, spikes, pushing people (I star KO'ed a Jigglypuff once from the rising attack), or just attacking with it, resulting in some pretty crazy mindgames if you pull 3 different uses of it in a match.

Just because this move is meant to do something, doesn't mean you shouldn't try something new and crazy, learn its properties people! it will help your game a lot.

meestertiny

Smash Cadet
In FFA, Up-B is very hard to punish in all the chaos
in 1v1.. things could change

in some situations, UpB can really screw most edgehoggers over if they do not know that it can spike
heck, some may be even scared to edgeguard D3.. cuz he's that awesome

all these other applications for one move.. but the most important would be most likely its disgustingly crazy vertical and horizontal recovery

dan smith

Smash Champion
In tournament yesterday I won a match with it. Both games, I was about to lose, at high percent, off stage, and he tried to edge guard. I used up b, he was right by the edge...and got spiked. Too good.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Yep its a good move, so as long as you're facing a player who stupidly misses Dedede while trying to intercept, then gets Spiked.

postyoa28

Smash Rookie
While I've done this before, I'm looking to see how far "inland" from the edge DDD's up B can spike from. What I'm trying to get at is comparable to falco's spike in melee, where it could be done from like 3 or 4 body lengths away from the edge. With DDD's up B, does the horizontal movement cause when you spike have to do with you trajectory? I'm not sure, but if any of you have experienced this how far can he spike from?

Top Bottom