• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-B habits?

USPY.3620

Smash Cadet
Hey all,

Lately I've been working on my up-B punishes. I think I've been getting pretty good at them, and it's a great unexpected move for unsuspecting opponents.

However, what I've noticed in my play is that I've now gotten very "up-B happy" in some matchups. I want to punish so badly that I think I end up spamming up-B more than I should.

So I wanted to ask you guys - how often do you use it? When do you use it? Is it part of your game at all? What are your up-B tendencies and/or habits?

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I use Up B under the following circumstances at kill %:
  • Opponent air dodges into the ground and I'm close enough to do so
  • Down Throw into Up B (If I miss then I go for Cyclone instead)
  • Out of Shield option if they poke me close enough
Basically I use it about 1-3 times per game (assuming I can get it at all)

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
To add to what mariofirered said, it should only really be used if it's guaranteed. Sometimes I do cheat on that a little and I use it off stage near the edge when my opponent thinks I'm trying to gimp them. It's usually pretty safe there because they often aren't thinking about it, and even if they do hit you, you can sideb, jump+cyclone, upb again.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
On a really rare occasion, when I'm hanging on the ledge, and if the opponent just happens to be directly above me, anticipating my next move, I'll do a quick Down + Jump to Up B, if it misses then I'll just aim myself back to the ledge. It's a pretty clumsy tactic but it's hilarious how many people I've knocked out by doing this.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I tend to have trouble landing it so I only use it when I'm very sure about landing it, like when they are stuck after a very laggy attack. For me it's a recovery move first and an attack move second.

:231:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I go for dthrow > up b pretty often, but only because I'm confident in hitting it. Ill only go for grounded ones if it's guaranteed. Like if, as previously said, they air dodge into the ground or you predict a roll. It's also great to punish G&Ws or Toon Links that dair too often.

sims796

Smash Cadet
I've gotten much better at instinctively pulling it off when the opponent is on me. When it fails, it's usually because they shielded, not because I missed. But I'm much better at using it the second an opponent gets to close.

I think that's the key, getting better at pulling it off automatically, something that shouldn't be thought to do. Admittidley, I'm still getting used to that.

Now I'm working on how to combo into it outside of the classic Down Throw + Up B.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I've gotten much better at instinctively pulling it off when the opponent is on me. When it fails, it's usually because they shielded, not because I missed. But I'm much better at using it the second an opponent gets to close.

I think that's the key, getting better at pulling it off automatically, something that shouldn't be thought to do. Admittidley, I'm still getting used to that.

Now I'm working on how to combo into it outside of the classic Down Throw + Up B.
If you want to be the ultimate style master, try to combo dthrow into x2 dair spike > up b. It's a beautiful thing.

sims796

Smash Cadet
If you want to be the ultimate style master, try to combo dthrow into x2 dair spike > up b. It's a beautiful thing.
Oh my god, I did that once, only once! That's like a heat of the moment kind of thing, you can't just replicate that!

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Oh my god, I did that once, only once! That's like a heat of the moment kind of thing, you can't just replicate that!
I constantly practice it just so I can hopefully pull it out in a tense tourney match one day haha. It's so beautiful. If I got hit by that, I'd just stand up and walk out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom