• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unova Pokemon League: Research Notes

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
To briefly explain, I went into training mode a while back and collected some data on a few stages in a fit of boredom. Here I present my findings on Unova Pokemon League. I believe I got most of the important information, although it's possible I missed something or got some detail or other wrong since this is all observational data collected in training mode.

I chose to make this its own topic in order to focus discussion on this specific stage, and to match existing topics on Paper Mario, Pictochat 2, and Pac-Maze.

Layout:
Unova Pokemon League's basic layout is reminiscent of Pokemon Stadium. There is a main platform with two smaller platforms above it, one on each side. Players 1 and 2 start underneath these platforms, on the left and right respectively. Player 3 and 4 start on top of them, again on the left and right respectively. The area underneath the stage is solid, tapering down to a narrower support section. Players cannot fly under the stage.

The Omega form has a solid base with walls all the way down to the bottom blast zone.

The stage has a total of 3 distinct hazards: the stairs, Reshiram, and Zekrom. Testing suggests that Reshiram and Zekrom are mutually exclusive as I have never observed both to appear in the same battle or training session.

Stairs:
Stairs regularly extend from either side of the screen and impact the main platform at the ledge, turning the entire stage into a walkoff. You cannot fall through the stairs, but you can jump up from below them. While the stairs are connected to the stage, players cannot grab the ledge.

As they extend, the stairs do 10% damage to anyone in their way, including players standing on the edge of the main platform. They kill Mario off the top at 110% with no VI.

The stairs are telegraphed by the walls of N's Castle opening up prior to the stairs extending forth. The exact timing between the walls opening up and the stairs extending seems to vary, being anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds. The camera will helpfully pan out somewhat to keep the castle in view while this happens.

Reshiram:
This Legendary Pokemon appears to be mutually exclusive with Zekrom, akin to Dialga and Palkia on Spear Pillar in Brawl. I have never observed the two to appear in the same battle or training session. Reshiram is a Dragon/Fire type and is white in color.

Reshiram uses its Fusion Flare move to cover parts of the stage with flame. It descends onto the platform directly behind the stage, emits a harmless shockwave, and emits energy from a point above its head. When this energy touches the stage, it turns into fire and becomes harmful. Until this point, it presents no danger whatsoever.

The fire lingers onstage for approximately 10 seconds and does 11% per hit. It can kill Mario off the top from the main platform at 161% with no VI. At low percents, the knockback is almost negligible. The area directly underneath the secondary platforms seems to be a safe zone, as I have never observed the ground there to be set on fire.

If the fire lands on the stairs, it will burn as usual. Once the fire burns out, the staircase it was on will fall apart and disintegrate.

Reshiram leaves the stage at about the same time the fire finishes burning.

Zekrom:
Like Reshiram, this Legendary Pokemon seems to be mutually exclusive with its counterpart. It is a Dragon/Electric type and is black in color.

Zekrom uses its Fusion Bolt move to strike the stage with an electric orb. It surrounds itself with electricity before taking off. The location of the strike is then signalled by a translucent mass of electric energy located somewhere on the stage. As with the stairs, the camera will make an effort to keep this location in view. Observed locations are center stage, directly next to either ledge, directly under either ledge, and further below either ledge.

On impact, the attack inflicts 16% damage. Due to the various locations it can strike, exact kill percents can vary, but if it hits center stage Mario dies off the side at approximately 55% with no VI. The stage will also physically move in response to the impact. Depending on the exact location hit, it can simply be shifted left, right, or down, or it can be tilted around 30 degrees from the horizontal plane. The stage automatically rights itself after a few seconds regardless of how it was moved.

If the attack hits one of the stairs, they will shatter.

Zekrom only attacks once per appearance.

The Stage Cycle:
The stairs extend for the first time at around the 37 second mark. Because they extend from N's Castle, they will not appear unless the castle is present in the background. The castle will emerge from the ground, extend the stairs twice, then descend back into the ground and repeat the cycle.

The stairs appear to eventually reach a point where they no longer extend from the castle. The castle itself remains in the background, with its walls open, but the stairs simply stop their extend and retract cycle. It is currently unknown what causes this to happen, although I believe it may simply be after an extended period of time.

Reshiram or Zekrom appear every 30-40 seconds to perform their respective attacks. There is a chance that for any given appearance, Milotic, Whimsicott, or Shaymin may show up instead. These Pokemon do not interfere with the battle and leave after a short time.

Summary:
  • Stage layout similar to Pokemon Stadium.
  • Area underneath stage tapers but is solid.
  • Stairs do 10%, kill Mario at 110%.
  • Reshiram does 11% per hit, kills Mario at 161%.
  • Zekrom does 16%, kills Mario at 55%, also physically moves stage.
  • Stairs only appear when N's Castle is present.
  • Reshiram and Zekrom are mutually exclusive.
  • Chance for Milotic, Whimsicott, or Shaymin to appear and do nothing.
  • Stairs seem to stop appearing after a while, need to verify.

Last edited:

Weavile's Wrath

Smash Apprentice
I tested this stage myself, and I think it will most likely be banned in most rulesets due to Reshiram/Zekrom and the stairs creating a walk-off, but in more liberal stage lists, I could see UPL be legal.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I actually like it because the hazards are all very telegraphed, Walkoff is NOT a problem because Stairs will eventually disappear and force the player closer to the blastzone to recover (which is a bad position in this game).

My only "complain" (though not really because how telegraphed it is) is that Stairs remove the ledge, but overall looks pretty fair.

I didn't think Zekrom was that strong, though.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I actually think Reshiram is the more intrusive one. Zekrom comes and goes (albeit a huge entrance that has resulted in an unfortunate early death or 2), changes the terrain/positioning but does not change the blast zones/lines much, if at all. Meanwhile Fusion Flare takes up almost a third of the main stage, lasts a good while, and can be abused by players (both by throwing into it and hiding by/behind it). Basically unless the stairs are out, you have good long range/approaching options or if you get lucky/they get caught in the fire by accident, good luck trying to get/do anything to them for 10 seconds.

All in all, I would say if there was a way to make the hazards consistent (as in a way to guarantee Zekrom or Reshiram every time rather than it being 50/50) then this stage wouldn't be that bad/might actually be redeemable (though I'm still not thrilled at stair camping, however temporary it may be).

Also why the **** does Milotic randomly fly into the sky just like Shaymin and Whimsicott? Doesn't affect anything but it just looks weird, lol

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I actually think Reshiram is the more intrusive one. Zekrom comes and goes (albeit a huge entrance that has resulted in an unfortunate early death or 2), changes the terrain/positioning but does not change the blast zones/lines much, if at all. Meanwhile Fusion Flare takes up almost a third of the main stage, lasts a good while, and can be abused by players (both by throwing into it and hiding by/behind it). Basically unless the stairs are out, you have good long range/approaching options or if you get lucky/they get caught in the fire by accident, good luck trying to get/do anything to them for 10 seconds.

All in all, I would say if there was a way to make the hazards consistent (as in a way to guarantee Zekrom or Reshiram every time rather than it being 50/50) then this stage wouldn't be that bad/might actually be redeemable (though I'm still not thrilled at stair camping, however temporary it may be).

Also why the **** does Milotic randomly fly into the sky just like Shaymin and Whimsicott? Doesn't affect anything but it just looks weird, lol
Dude, isn't the whole point of hazards to "abuse" them by chucking your opponents into them? I'd say that's a relevant competitive skill too (but then, I'm primarily a casual player so maybe my opinion is irrelevant). For Reshiram, Fusion Flare isn't normally an issue unless it decides to target the inside edge of the overhead platforms with both blasts, with the flames spreading to wall off the very centre of the stage and frequently separating the fighters on either side of them. Of additional note is that the flames always spread inward (that is, toward the centre of the stage) of where the flaming sphere strikes. And speaking of being unable to do anything to the foe for 10 seconds, isn't that basically what Pokémon Stadium does anyway with two of the transformations?

I've never run into the problem of stair camping, but then I mostly tend to avoid that area on the basis that the stairs can simply decide to leave at any time, instead using that space to pursue a foe and secure a KO off the sides. Besides, it's hardly camping if the ground under you can just decide to vanish for any reason or no reason at all.

As for the ability to choose which version of the stage you get, has anyone tried the Y/L button selection method you can use to choose the form of Boxing Ring?

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Testing suggests that Reshiram and Zekrom are mutually exclusive as I have never observed both to appear in the same battle or training session.
Huh that's interesting. Maybe there's some way to influence which one spawns by holding a button when choosing the stage or something like that?

edit: whoops didn't see the post above mine

edit2: doesn't seem to work unfortunately

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Huh that's interesting. Maybe there's some way to influence which one spawns by holding a button when choosing the stage or something like that?

edit: whoops didn't see the post above mine

edit2: doesn't seem to work unfortunately
Darn shame, that, considering that works with Boxing Ring to choose which version you get.

Top Bottom