• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underneath the Hood: The Late Introduction

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Well, when Quilt posted a thread earlier, it got me thinking..."Hm...as much posting as I do in this forum, I've never made an introduction myself". I've kind of left bits and pieces of myself in other threads when meeting with newcomers, but I figured I'd compile all of those pieces together so people can kind of get a feel for who I am.

For those who don't know me, I'm Hokori (Pride). A big part of where my name originated was from the anime Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (if you haven't seen it, and you're someone who enjoys anime at least every now and then, please put that on your to do list). Speaking of anime, I'm an avid viewer and I read plenty of manga as well. I've recently watched Death Note and Black Lagoon all over again and will probably do the same with the Ghost In the Shell animated films as well.

Now for Smash...I picked up Super Smash Bros. when it came out in 1999 and have been a fan of the series since. Although my first experiences with video games involved Mario and his glory, by the time SSB64 released, I was pretty fresh off of playing F-Zero (SNES) and Star-Fox (64) so Captain Falcon and Fox McCloud became my characters of choice. A couple years later, Melee dropped and of course I picked it up right away. After unlocking all of the characters, Ganondrof, Marth and Falco became my three characters. Then came Brawl...went through the same process...mained Falco, Wolf and Ike. I was a pretty good player and participated in a couple of tournaments, but I never took any of them seriously for certain reasons...I lacked a true desire to win. Growing up, I've always been the best (or at least one of the best) at whatever I did and put my mind to. Over time, winning got a bit old, so I'd put in less effort, sandbag, and just let people win to make them feel better since I didn't mind the feeling of losing so much. That feeling lasted about all the way up until when I was 19 years old and watched the Smash Documentary. Idk what it was exactly, but watching the Documentary rekindled the flame I once had, for Smash, and just as a gamer in general. Now that my competitive spirit is back, I'm definitely excited for Smash 4 and being apart of the competitive community with my main Robin and hopefully Shulk :) (not sure who all will be the secondaries).

Outside of Smash...wow, way too many games. If you actually read up this point (actually means a lot if you did), you may already know that I love me some Fire Emblem :shades: Nintendo franchises aside, I'll list only a couple of series to avoid going off on another tangent...Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid. There you go. Since this was short, I guess I'll throw in a couple hobbies as well. I LOVE listening to music. I appreciate all kinds of genres. From The Veils to Nas, and from Bob Marley to Frank Sinatra, it doesn't matter, I'll give it a listen if it has substance. That being said, feel free to message or write on my profile some of the artists you enjoy listening to. I also enjoy writing (although I haven't done so in such a long time) , sports, and playing Saxophone (Alto, Tenor, Baritone, Soprano), just to name a few others.

Now, for the long wrap up. I joined Smashboards out of love for the game, but over time, I've truly developed a love for the community here. I appreciate it enough to the point where I felt like I should start reaching out more and just doing what I can to help it out. That being said, one of the things I felt was important was/is welcoming each and every newcomer that comes to the forums. For some, it doesn't really matter too much (hell, they may even completely skip this forum :p), but for others, I know it can be a bit tough on the nerves to join a community as large as this one with little to no forum experience, on top of that, having social phobias. I just try to make everyone feel pretty welcome around here and accepted as best as I can since I want this place to continue to grow and for people to continue to talk about how wonderful of a community that we have here. I know what I'm doing is pretty small at the moment, but I've always believed that baby steps can take you a long way. But anyway...that's probably about enough..I feel like I wrote up an essay, which wasn't my intent (I just got into a nice groove and went with it honestly). If you actually read all of this, once again, I appreciate it.

Again, I'm clearly not new, but I just wanted to give everyone somewhat of an insight on who I am. I appreciate all of you here, and I love our community.

Long live Smash Bros.

~Hokori

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Hey! this was a good read.

My mains are always top tier unintentionally. I always like the characters and how they play before I even know they are good. When Brawl came out I was a Diddy main before he was even announced. (thats a bit exaggerated but not for smash 4 :4palutena: ) I've been to a couple of smash tourneys here in VA. They were pretty small the biggest one was probably East Coast Elites. My friend and I took first place in the Melee doubles bracket.

Anime is awesome though I haven't seen FMA or brotherhood. I kinda stray away from the ones with a lot of episodes. I'll catch whatever I can on Toonami when it comes on though. My favorites are probably Angel Beats, Clannad, Haruhi, Steins Gate, Higurashi, Madoka and idk. there are a lot of good ones out there haha.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Hey! this was a good read.

My mains are always top tier unintentionally. I always like the characters and how they play before I even know they are good. When Brawl came out I was a Diddy main before he was even announced. (thats a bit exaggerated but not for smash 4 :4palutena: ) I've been to a couple of smash tourneys here in VA. They were pretty small the biggest one was probably East Coast Elites. My friend and I took first place in the Melee doubles bracket.

Anime is awesome though I haven't seen FMA or brotherhood. I kinda stray away from the ones with a lot of episodes. I'll catch whatever I can on Toonami when it comes on though. My favorites are probably Angel Beats, Clannad, Haruhi, Steins Gate, Higurashi, Madoka and idk. there are a lot of good ones out there haha.
Glad you found my lengthy intro to be enjoyable :)

And yeah, same. Since I stay in the realm of FE, LoZ and SF characters with a hint of Captain Falcon, I can't really go wrong from such a large pool of characters. Star Fox characters alone are in the high-top tier of every game. I stopped liking Fox after 64 though.

As for Anime, the best ones always tend to be short-medium length, mainly because all the awesomeness is packed in together rather than spread out across hundreds of episodes with tons of fillers/fan-service. FMA:B just really resonated with me, especially after watching it for a second time. If I could only recommend one series for an anime newbie to try out, FMA:B would be at the top (or at least towards the top) of anime to select from. I do agree with you in that there are tons of good ones out there, both mainstream and underground. That's probably why I could never do a top 10 list or anything. It either just stands out, or it doesn't.

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Good intro! It's a pretty cool concept to turn the tables and introduce yourself now. I would probably do the same out of inspiration if I hadn't already done so 4 years ago. Back then when I did, someone welcomed me and I really appreciated it and it probably influenced me to stick around the forum in general. It also influenced me to start welcoming new members myself, which I should probably work more on, lol. You do an amazing job on that though, by the way.

You have good taste in mains as well :D

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Good intro! It's a pretty cool concept to turn the tables and introduce yourself now. I would probably do the same out of inspiration if I hadn't already done so 4 years ago. Back then when I did, someone welcomed me and I really appreciated it and it probably influenced me to stick around the forum in general. It also influenced me to start welcoming new members myself, which I should probably work more on, lol. You do an amazing job on that though, by the way.

You have good taste in mains as well :D
Since you posted the link of the Old M&G, I decided to look back and what do you know...I noticed that I had posted in that thread back when I joined (under a different name) and was welcomed by @ Grey Belnades Grey Belnades . I always remembered receiving a warm welcome, making me want to do this myself, but I completely forgot where exactly my first post was :laugh: Thanks for bringing that up.

Also, thanks for the compliment. I actually prefer this format compared to how it used to be. It's organized and people feel as though they're getting a more direct greeting/welcoming, so that's always nice. Especially helpful in the event that they wish to have brief conversation with some of the users that respond to them.

And thanks for actually reading through it all :D

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, when Quilt posted a thread earlier, it got me thinking..."Hm...as much posting as I do in this forum, I've never made an introduction myself". I've kind of left bits and pieces of myself in other threads when meeting with newcomers, but I figured I'd compile all of those pieces together so people can kind of get a feel for who I am.

For those who don't know me, I'm Hokori (Pride). A big part of where my name originated was from the anime Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (if you haven't seen it, and you're someone who enjoys anime at least every now and then, please put that on your to do list). Speaking of anime, I'm an avid viewer and I read plenty of manga as well. I've recently watched Death Note and Black Lagoon all over again and will probably do the same with the Ghost In the Shell animated films as well.

Now for Smash...I picked up Super Smash Bros. when it came out in 1999 and have been a fan of the series since. Although my first experiences with video games involved Mario and his glory, by the time SSB64 released, I was pretty fresh off of playing F-Zero (SNES) and Star-Fox (64) so Captain Falcon and Fox McCloud became my characters of choice. A couple years later, Melee dropped and of course I picked it up right away. After unlocking all of the characters, Ganondrof, Marth and Falco became my three characters. Then came Brawl...went through the same process...mained Falco, Wolf and Ike. I was a pretty good player and participated in a couple of tournaments, but I never took any of them seriously for certain reasons...I lacked a true desire to win. Growing up, I've always been the best (or at least one of the best) at whatever I did and put my mind to. Over time, winning got a bit old, so I'd put in less effort, sandbag, and just let people win to make them feel better since I didn't mind the feeling of losing so much. That feeling lasted about all the way up until when I was 19 years old and watched the Smash Documentary. Idk what it was exactly, but watching the Documentary rekindled the flame I once had, for Smash, and just as a gamer in general. Now that my competitive spirit is back, I'm definitely excited for Smash 4 and being apart of the competitive community with my main Robin and hopefully Shulk :) (not sure who all will be the secondaries).

Outside of Smash...wow, way too many games. If you actually read up this point (actually means a lot if you did), you may already know that I love me some Fire Emblem :shades: Nintendo franchises aside, I'll list only a couple of series to avoid going off on another tangent...Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid. There you go. Since this was short, I guess I'll throw in a couple hobbies as well. I LOVE listening to music. I appreciate all kinds of genres. From The Veils to Nas, and from Bob Marley to Frank Sinatra, it doesn't matter, I'll give it a listen if it has substance. That being said, feel free to message or write on my profile some of the artists you enjoy listening to. I also enjoy writing (although I haven't done so in such a long time) , sports, and playing Saxophone (Alto, Tenor, Baritone, Soprano), just to name a few others.

Now, for the long wrap up. I joined Smashboards out of love for the game, but over time, I've truly developed a love for the community here. I appreciate it enough to the point where I felt like I should start reaching out more and just doing what I can to help it out. That being said, one of the things I felt was important was/is welcoming each and every newcomer that comes to the forums. For some, it doesn't really matter too much (hell, they may even completely skip this forum :p), but for others, I know it can be a bit tough on the nerves to join a community as large as this one with little to no forum experience, on top of that, having social phobias. I just try to make everyone feel pretty welcome around here and accepted as best as I can since I want this place to continue to grow and for people to continue to talk about how wonderful of a community that we have here. I know what I'm doing is pretty small at the moment, but I've always believed that baby steps can take you a long way. But anyway...that's probably about enough..I feel like I wrote up an essay, which wasn't my intent (I just got into a nice groove and went with it honestly). If you actually read all of this, once again, I appreciate it.

Again, I'm clearly not new, but I just wanted to give everyone somewhat of an insight on who I am. I appreciate all of you here, and I love our community.

Long live Smash Bros.

~Hokori
Who are you?! I have most certainly never seen you around Smashboards; least of all here, welcoming new users! :troll:

Honestly, I should probably introduce myself as well; however, and it might seem odd as I post quite frequently, but I am intimidated. The notion seems to incite fear as I also suffer from social phobias, I tend to be misanthropic. Regardless, you have inspired me! I will probably get around to it on my Birthday!

If we ever play Smash 4 online; if you are into that, you can sand-bag. I do not mind in the slightest, do not feel obligated to win! I agree with this sentiment collectively though, the Smash Documentary also reintroduces a repressed desire to play competitively within myself.

It depends on what you mean by "substance." If you mean intricate and technical instrumental talent; I would HIGHLY recommend Slayer. I am not certain if "Metal" is your cup of tea, but there is not denying that Slayer is one of the most talented bands comprised of some of the most gifted musicians around. If you want something slightly less "Brutal" might I perhaps suggest, "System of a Down." Some of their lyrics are political, they enable you to contemplate some of the less known horrors of humanity whilst retaining such a unique style.

Which sports? All of them?! :dazwa:

If you have ever wondered why I tend to welcome users myself, it is because of you, Hokori. You are such a great influence on the Smashboards community as a whole. I realize that it is probably one of the most important things that one could possibly do and I have always respected you for doing such. However, I cannot graciously welcome everyone to the community as their post must introduce a sense of intrigue, if I am not interested, I should not be expected to greet them, correct? :denzel:

Anyways, it was great learning more about you. Never change. Never change.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788

Long live Smash Bros.

~Hokori
You welcomed me, and I appreciate that! <3 I didn't know you did it that much though, it's very admirable. I was scared, I'm not the most social person ever, ironically enough. Thank you c:

Edit: Let's just say I'm not the best when it comes to quotes. xD

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Who are you?! I have most certainly never seen you around Smashboards; least of all here, welcoming new users! :troll:

Honestly, I should probably introduce myself as well; however, and it might seem odd as I post quite frequently, but I am intimidated. The notion seems to incite fear as I also suffer from social phobias, I tend to be misanthropic. Regardless, you have inspired me! I will probably get around to it on my Birthday!
You all are too kind. Definitely looking forward to reading yours when the time comes!

If we ever play Smash 4 online; if you are into that, you can sand-bag. I do not mind in the slightest, do not feel obligated to win! I agree with this sentiment collectively though, the Smash Documentary also reintroduces a repressed desire to play competitively within myself.
With Summer vacation over, I'll be back at school, with questionable connection more than likely. Would gladly play you though. The First few weeks post release is gonna be all about the fun anyways, so I'll gladly play you! Y'know...if I can

It depends on what you mean by "substance." If you mean intricate and technical instrumental talent; I would HIGHLY recommend Slayer. I am not certain if "Metal" is your cup of tea, but there is not denying that Slayer is one of the most talented bands comprised of some of the most gifted musicians around. If you want something slightly less "Brutal" might I perhaps suggest, "System of a Down." Some of their lyrics are political, they enable you to contemplate some of the less known horrors of humanity whilst retaining such a unique style.
And I do listen to Metal on occasions. Reign In Blood is among the albums I enjoy listening to the most. As for "System of a Down", I remember listening to a song of theirs called "Toxicity" a good while ago and I enjoyed it. I'll probably follow up on that and check out more of their work. I guess I could've explained more on what I meant about "substance". I really enjoy instrumental talent, I really enjoy a nice focus on lyrics that contain a message, there's a lot that I appreciate really, so I guess at the time, I couldn't exactly break down what I meant by that.

Which sports? All of them?! :dazwa:
If I could! Namely Football and Baseball. I enjoy watching most sports for the most part. If people consider Ping-Pong a sport, then I'll play with the best of them. That game is a thriller :p

If you have ever wondered why I tend to welcome users myself, it is because of you, Hokori. You are such a great influence on the Smashboards community as a whole. I realize that it is probably one of the most important things that one could possibly do and I have always respected you for doing such. However, I cannot graciously welcome everyone to the community as their post must introduce a sense of intrigue, if I am not interested, I should not be expected to greet them, correct? :denzel:

Anyways, it was great learning more about you. Never change. Never change.
I honestly had no idea I had any sort of influence on you. Although I did notice you showing up around these parts more often, I guess I just kinda thought it turned out like that and you stayed because you enjoy posting here. I do understand what you mean when it comes to greeting everyone though. The more interesting the intro, the easier it is to offer a response, definitely get that. Other than that, I just look for if the user was looking for some kind of assistance or wanted to play local Smashers and try to guide them in the right direction. It can get really repetitive when it comes to posting links, but I just remove myself from the equation and focus on helping them since they're appreciative, no matter how little I'm actually helping them.

Thanks for all the kind words though, Morbid. They're definitely not taken for granted, friend :)

You welcomed me, and I appreciate that! <3 I didn't know you did it that much though, it's very admirable. I was scared, I'm not the most social person ever, ironically enough. Thank you c:

Edit: Let's just say I'm not the best when it comes to quotes. xD
It's honestly no problem at all :) And I continue to do this for reasons like what you mentioned. Although this isn't direct interaction, I understand that the experience can still be rather nerving for plenty of people. So whatever makes people feel relaxed and at home, gets them out of lurking and encourage more activity, I'm all for it.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
And, once Smash 4 does come out, I'd love to play you as well, if that's okay.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Sure thing. I'll be happy to play you, and everyone else that would be interested in doing so as well :)

xXTOPWOLFXx

Smash Apprentice
Hey I saw this post and said wait... isn't that the guy that posted on my greeting a couple days ago? I read the whole post as soon as I figured ths out. its interesting to se someone who never had the courage/interest to explain some simple things about themselves. Enough awkward blabbering

As far as anime im not a huge fan but if I find time ill check out FMA. Although its not technically anime( it doesn't come from japan but has HUGE anime influences) if you haven't already check out Avatar: The Last Airbender. It has good humor that blends pretty well with action and story.

Ive recently gotten into Linkin Park, their older works( 2007-ish) is really good and blends rock with hip-hop and rap.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Hey I saw this post and said wait... isn't that the guy that posted on my greeting a couple days ago? I read the whole post as soon as I figured ths out. its interesting to se someone who never had the courage/interest to explain some simple things about themselves. Enough awkward blabbering

As far as anime im not a huge fan but if I find time ill check out FMA. Although its not technically anime( it doesn't come from japan but has HUGE anime influences) if you haven't already check out Avatar: The Last Airbender. It has good humor that blends pretty well with action and story.

Ive recently gotten into Linkin Park, their older works( 2007-ish) is really good and blends rock with hip-hop and rap.
You won't be disappointed!

And I've probably seen each episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender at least 3 times. Re-runs used to come on alllll the time, and I'd still watch. Even put the series out again with those info blurbs which I ended up liking. I also keep up with The Legend of Korra as well.

Yeah, I enjoy Linkin Park mainly from their work with Hybrid Theory and Meteora.

Top Bottom