• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Duck Hunt

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Duck Hunt are back and they are more cute than ever!

Duck Hunt page on the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website

My old Duck Hunt Dog for SSB4 thread here

1528844708575.png

This is Duck Hunt's new stock icon. It is hard to see the ears but they are there. It is just that the background is black.

1529072713007.png

Last edited:

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I found their specials a bit unwieldy to use in Smash 4, so I wonder if they smoothed them out a bit. Either way, I'm excited to see them back. They were one of my favorite additions to the game.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Will Duck Hunt Dog have kill moves now? Only time will tell. That was truly the thing that the dog was missing. Can't say how DHD will be affected by S5's mechanics.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Welcome back Duck Hunt. He's a bit under the radar right now because of hype newcomers, demo characters and returning vets who were absent like Wolf taking away attention. Which is a shame, because the dog and duck are cool.

Here's hoping they really WOW everyone this time. I know Duck Hunt, Olimar and Bowser Jr. were the least played Smash 4 characters (I actually did a study on it by logging data of every character's usage over time online), and it was partially because they were hard to play, partially because they were mediocre, and basically because they didn't seem as interesting or flashy as most other characters. With an even bigger roster this time, I hope these guys find some fresh new use. I love Duck Hunt, but he's so underused.

What changes would you want to see to the duo to make them better or give their moves a little more flair? I'd personally like to see the zapper motif appear in a larger number of moves, like some aerials (nair is already confirmed to be the spinning attack), or maybe some more 'feel' on their beak sweetspots to make them more gratifying like Marth's tipper. I feel that charging up smash and down smash should boost their range like it does for f smash. Having the moves auto link properly would be appreciated of course. And although it doesn't effect gameplay, giving their aesthetics an overhaul to match their character (think Zelda or Game and Watch) on moves besides smashes could give their moveset a little more pinache.

What about you guys?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I'm guessing the reason he was underused was that he was the Jar Jar Binks of Nintendo. But I'm glad he's in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm guessing the reason he was underused was that he was the Jar Jar Binks of Nintendo. But I'm glad he's in.
Same here. I supported Duck Hunt Dog for Smash for 12 long years. And most of the time it felt like I was the only one fighting for his inclusion. I don't care if he is an unpopular character. All I care about is having the ability to play as the dog from Duck Hunt in Smash.

Now I am fighting for Meowth to be included in Smash. All I wanted is to play as Duck Hunt Dog in at least one Smash game.... but since Smash Ultimate is all about "everyone is here" so it looks like I will get to play as Duck Hunt Dog for one more Smash game (no complaints here). And now all I want is to play as Meowth in at least one Smash game.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Same here. I supported Duck Hunt Dog for Smash for 12 long years. And most of the time it felt like I was the only one fighting for his inclusion. I don't care if he is an unpopular character. All I care about is having the ability to play as the dog from Duck Hunt in Smash.

Now I am fighting for Meowth to be included in Smash. All I wanted is to play as Duck Hunt Dog in at least one Smash game.... but since Smash Ultimate is all about "everyone is here" so it looks like I will get to play as Duck Hunt Dog for one more Smash game (no complaints here). And now all I want is to play as Meowth in at least one Smash game.
His current aspect holding him back, I believe, is that the anime, rather than the games, is the only aspect he really has in his favor over any other popular pokemon. In the games, he gets no special treatment except the Alolan form I guess. And the games are most Pokemon newcomers focus now, because based Samurai usually looks to the newest generation for a pokemon newcomer. And Pika and Jiggs, along with Zard and Ninja to an extent, already have anime representation on lock. Unless Meowth gets his own spin-off or becomes a new starter or something, I don't think he's in contention anymore unfortunately.

But hey, I'd be up for him if he was in. Its pretty crazy how barren this Duck Hunt thread is...maybe if he'd been playable in the demo or was changed somehow, there'd be more discussion but I suppose he looks almost exactly the same.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth stuff
I suspected it was so. That's why I am now trying to show my support for Meowth on Twitter and Tumblr and get more Meowth supporters. SmashBoards just isn't cutting it anymore. It's too niche and people here focus too much on current generation and relevant current Pokémon. Twitter and Tumblr both have bigger audiences, including blogs focused solely on Pokémon and/or Team Rocket.

If Meowth can't get in Smash due to relevancy, then Meowth can get in Smash due to fan demand. Ridley proved this.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I suspected it was so. That's why I am now trying to show my support for Meowth on Twitter and Tumblr and get more Meowth supporters. SmashBoards just isn't cutting it anymore. It's too niche and people here focus too much on current generation and relevant current Pokémon. Twitter and Tumblr both have bigger audiences, including blogs focused solely on Pokémon and/or Team Rocket.

If Meowth can't get in Smash due to relevancy, then Meowth can get in Smash due to fan demand. Ridley proved this.
Yeah that is his best bet. Sorry, I'm not trying to be condescending and knock Meowth to a supporter, I just feel that Sun and Moon will be the focus of any potential newcomer. Sakurai has never failed to give us a mon from the most recent generation, and Sun and Moon/sequels were hugely successful and are still in the spotlight. Alolan Meowth would've been cool, but he was already shown in a poke ball. I'm rooting for you though man. Supporters of characters like Pichu and Ridley have made the naysayers eat their words before. Don't let anyone else's doubts affect your hope.

grizby2

Smash Lord
during the part where they showed the evil ramblin' mushroom, was duck hunt walking a little bit during a taunt? that'd be sweet if you could do that!

Jmon101

Smash Cadet
I don't know if you guys noticed, but in the trailer when you see dhd launch the can it seems to go twice as far. I don't know how this will affect him.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Top Bottom