• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

U-throw or F-throw?

phantom train

Smash Rookie
So I recently went to my second turnament and played another marth and he asked me why I wasn't f-throwing very much. The next marth I play asks me why u don't u-throw very much. So now I'm wondering which throw is better? What punish for what DI on f-throw and how do I deal with people jumping out of u-throw?

Last edited:

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
So I recently went to my second turnament and played another marth and he asked me why I wasn't f-throwing very much. The next marth I play asks me why u don't u-throw very much. So now I'm wondering which throw is better? What punish for what DI on f-throw and how do I deal with people jumping out of u-throw?
Up throw is obviously better because it leads to juggles and chaingrabs much easier, which are some of the things Marth thrives in. And as far as dealing with people jumping out of u-throw, you shouldn't have a problem with that until your opponent gets to higher percents. The stun from the throw should give you plenty of time to attack them before they can jump out, and that can lead to juggle setups and allow you to chaingrab fast fallers on FD. At lower percents you can up tilt them, and as the percents get higher you can start up air-ing them. At much higher percents though, and these percents vary depending on the character, you have to look into other KO options because up throw set ups are less reliable because of how high they go which allows them to avoid follow ups easier. Though, depending on the character, up-throw should KO all by itself when near 200% damage.

And then I don't know as much about punishes after forward throw, but all I know is that at really low percents, you might be able to get an attack or an immediate regrab in before they can DI/tech out of it, and F-throw is also a decent option to begin and extend a techchase.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
Uthrow is more consistent, but fthrow can have good punishes but it's DI dependent. Good rule of thumb for me is to fthrow at the edge, since they can DI for a free fsmash and posssible tipper or a dair.

Uthrow keeps them in the air, and Marth has awesome followups on fastfallers, and I think most floaties suck at landing, so if you keep them at that bad position eventually they waste their double jump and then you kill them

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
Up throw is obviously better because it leads to juggles and chaingrabs much easier, which are some of the things Marth thrives in. And as far as dealing with people jumping out of u-throw, you shouldn't have a problem with that until your opponent gets to higher percents. The stun from the throw should give you plenty of time to attack them before they can jump out, and that can lead to juggle setups and allow you to chaingrab fast fallers on FD. At lower percents you can up tilt them, and as the percents get higher you can start up air-ing them. At much higher percents though, and these percents vary depending on the character, you have to look into other KO options because up throw set ups are less reliable because of how high they go which allows them to avoid follow ups easier. Though, depending on the character, up-throw should KO all by itself when near 200% damage.

And then I don't know as much about punishes after forward throw, but all I know is that at really low percents, you might be able to get an attack or an immediate regrab in before they can DI/tech out of it, and F-throw is also a decent option to begin and extend a techchase.
Marth can actually jump or DI out of upthrow upair until ~17%. After 17, it's often only a 1 frame link, so jumping out is still likely. After ~45%, upair is no longer guaranteed to hit. Upthrow uptilt never connects vs marth. If we are looking at other characters, generally the faster they fall, the better upthrow is. The floatier they are, the better fthrow/dthrow is.

In general, I'd say that upthrow is marth's better throw, but as with any move, it's all situational and character dependent. If you are not near the edge, usually a tech chase is the best you can get off of fthrow/dthrow. If you are near the edge, you might have gimp potential depending on the character. If people jump out of your upthrow, don't worry! This just means that they're in the same poor position as before (above you), but without their jump. This makes reading their movement so much easier, you just need to react to/bait out their jump and then start juggling.

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
That's weird, because I have seen Marths get hit by upthrow-uptilt all the time, including Mew2King's Marth.
According to Kadano's thread, it should never connect.
But yea, I've seen many people get hit by it. I guess there's a very tight frame window to jump to not get hit by it.
@Kadano Is this true?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well, even if it can't technically connect (very close), using your dj can be extremely risky in that situation. Marth's ground mobility >>>>> aerial mobility, the marth on the ground can shark the **** out of you. You can get UPthrown (low%) and eat the utilt but DI it behind and get away (still have dj).

Against floaties, Marth's follow-ups from a throw are extremely limited (against fastfallers, uthrow is clearly superior), so the strategic advantage you could gain from a fthrow (ex: fthrow them closer to ledge) is actually quite useful, even if you don't get a guaranteed dtilt/ftilt/fsmash out of it. This essentially resets neutral even if you go for the EZ follow-up and whiff, and Marth's neutral is sick.

Just because uthrow doesn't 0-death floaties like it does spacies doesn't mean it can't put them in a horrible position. Problem is, it takes a bit of effort to continue uair'ing him until you can KO him. Also consider marth's "problem" getting ko's at high percent. It can make you wish you fthrew him closer to the ledge, baited/punished one oos option, and edgeguarded him (sometimes).

There are many factors. In general, uthrow is probably better. Without it marth wouldn't be top tier.

Shchoo

Smash Cadet
I think at the end of the day they're different moves, and not all that comparable as they serve different purposes. It wouldn't be like comparing uptilt vs up smash, where one is better 99% of the time.

Top Bottom