• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two weeks to learn brawl

Palmerfan

Smash Apprentice
My school is having a brawl tournament in two weeks, and I need to go from casual to competitive quickly. I'm a fairly competent melee and pm player, but I have little knowledge of brawl aside from Meta knight OP.

Some questions
1. What Advanced techs are essential to stomping casuals?
2. What character is the best to learn easily?
3. Is netplay a viable option for practice?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Well, first of all, main? That'll help out some.
1. Unlike Melee and PM, Brawl isn't really AT savvy. Just focus on fundamentals like spacing and the like, THEN ATs. That said, the main one you should utilize is shorthop aerial OOS stuff.
2. Again, depends on your playstyle. But if you wanna just wreck casuals, MK. :p
3. I think? I've never done it so I can't tell ya. :p

shapular

Smash Ace
1. Pivot grabs, imo. It's hard to figure out what to do about them if you're a casual. Make sure you know how to edgehog, too. In Brawl the best way is to dash off the ledge, then hold down and toward the ledge. You should grab the ledge pretty much right after you dash off the stage.
2. If you can get the Ice Climbers chaingrab down, they would be good, but make sure it's a 1v1 tournament before you go that route. Otherwise, MK.
3. Yes. I went from complete scrub to pretty good entirely by playing wifi. Netplay should be even better.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:olimar: is really good at this sort of casual play.
- His grab beats pretty much any grounded approach option.
- Pivot grab would beat a lot of aerial approaches.
- His biggest weakness (recovery) isn't capitalized upon as much in casuals.
- Since casuals don't approach smartly, you can force them to do so (chuck Pikmin at them) and then grab them (or even Fsmash/Usmash) and toss them away, rinse and repeat.
- Dsmash works nicely as a GTFO for people who like to roll.
- He also has nice early kill moves (Purple Pikmin Usmash) that give him advantages similar to characters like :gw: where they have strong kill moves (which are easier to land in casuals).

One of his biggest advantages though, is being underestimated. A lot of casuals think :olimar: is sh*t and will be expecting an easy win. What they don't know, is basically every advantage I covered above. He's so obscure in casuals I doubt most people in the tournament will know his moveset well. I think you can honestly take top 10% if you get to use him well, and he's so easy to learn for this type of play.

Another reason to choose him is that :olimar: already counters most (if not all) of casual-common characters in competitive. :olimar: vs :zelda: is IMO one of the most one sided matchups in the game (+4 :olimar:), and that's just for competitive, it's virtually impossible for casual:zelda: if the :olimar: knows what to do. And this isn't even going into his other normal +3s and +2s against most casual-common characters.

TL:DR Whenever they try to run at you, grab them. If they stand there and try to shoot lasers at you or something then just toss Pikmin back (white ones are good for this).

Even better players have trouble with him sometimes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for other options...

What really wrecks a casual is when they get counterpicked hard. It's definitely a different story for competitive, but when your casual opponent goes like... Falco then even a semi-competitive player can wreck them with Pikachu provided they know how to CG.
I'd think that :popo: would go +3 against anyone a casual would pick if you can get their CG right. But it's a fairly long road even to master the basics.

Edgehogs usually give you an easy stock. Stand at the edge and hog when ready.

For casuals, the most commonly used characters, I think, would be
:ike::kirby2:
and perhaps
:zelda::link2:
If you can exploit the first two, things start looking up (as I think that these two are recognized as "best" in casuals").
If you can take on the next two then you have a damn good chance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom