• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two mostly useless new Falcon Kick cancelling techniques! - Peach's Castle 64 and Wuhu Island

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
I just discovered these last night. They're both involving Falcon Kick, but are pretty different so I'll break this post into two parts.

Peach's Castle (64) - The slightly more useful technique

If you're on the bottom right portion of Peach's Castle and use Falcon Kick towards the center, you'll bounce off the wall and jump back, like normal. The difference here is that the platform above dips down a bit, and Captain Falcon will land instantly, cancelling all the lag of the bounce! You can act instantly out of it, too. I can't seem to get gfycat working for me, but here is a video of me showing a few options. I put it in Slow Special Smash just to show things a bit more clear.

You can act right away with jab, any tilt, or any Smash Attack. You can run or do anything else. If they got launched by the first Falcon Kick, another Falcon Kick or Raptor Boost can hit them again. Not shown in the video because I discovered it just a little bit ago, but you can also instantly walk off the edge of the platform and do a falling aerial.

This works will all the custom Falcon Kicks as well. It works on both Wii U and 3DS. This will only work on the right side, because the platform drops lower. Also, only Captain Falcon can do this - Ganondorf's jump goes at a bit of a different angle and won't land on the top.

You may have noticed in the video that it will occasionally not work - Falcon will bounce back past the part where he is supposed to land. This seems to happen if you connect with Falcon Kick on your opponent right before you hit the wall, but I can't seem to pinpoint exactly what the cause is. Sometimes you'll miss the platform, sometimes you'll still land on the platform. It only seems to happen if you hit the opponent, and rarely - it always works if you don't hit them though. EDIT: the reason seems to be due to Falcon trying to occupy the same space as his opponent for too long, and thus being pushed slightly to the side. For this reason Falcon will fail to land on the top platform if an opponent is standing in the path of his rebound jump (slightly to the left of where he should land).

The application of this is pretty limited, but if Peach's Castle ends up as a legal stage (possible on Wii U, likely on 3DS due to their more limited stage availability) this trick could come into use. It can be a unique escape option, or if the Falcon Kick connects it can even be an interesting combo option.

I tried finding more stages with a platform layout to allow this, and was unable. Peach's Castle seems to be the only one with a wall right next to a platform at the perfect height - let me know if I'm wrong! On the plus side, in my attempt to test more Falcon Kick stuff, I found some things on Wuhu Island.

Wuhu Island - The pretty much useless tech but who knows?

I wasn't able to get video of this due to the unpredictable nature of Wuhu Island.

On Wuhu Island, there are two parts where you can fully cancel Falcon Kick's entire animation - unlike the above technique, this doesn't involve doing a jump or platforms, you just fully cancel the attack. Unfortunately, this is a very useless technique because 1) It doesn't always work, and 2) It will only work in two of the transformations.

If you do a Falcon Kick on either the boat's windshield or the water checkpoint frame thing (I don't know what to call it), in either of the parts marked here with an X:

http://i.imgur.com/Zvyg8AY.png
http://i.imgur.com/9fZQugb.png

You will either bounce back like you normally do when you hit the wall, or you will entirely cancel the move and go to your normal standing position. It seems to have something to do with the shifting angles of the objects in the water. With the boat, it only (in my testing) cancels when the boat is moving. The metal frame thing will cancel seemingly randomly. Technically there's a third location you can do this, but it's so useless I didn't bother getting a picture: On the overhanging cliff, when the main platform is coming back from below, you can drop down onto the platform and Falcon Kick into the cliff as you rise up.

This has basically no applications. On the boat you could potentially close a short distance and go into an attack. In either part, you can spam Falcon Kick repeatedly and it's pretty funny. Wuhu Island is legal in a fair number of tournament stage lists, so it could be nice to know this at least so you won't be surprised by it.

I haven't seen any other places where you can fully cancel Falcon Kick like this. Anyone else find any?

Last edited:
Top Bottom