• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Tuto] What I did to play project M 3.5 on a pal Wii [hacked wii]

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
Hello , i really want every pal wii user to smile like me, my english expression is not that good that's why instead of pretending to do a great tutorial, i will just tell what i did.

I made my main research on 3 web sites : here smashboard.com (the greatest smash community), reddit.com projectM forums (wich looks like the official discussion forum for projectM) and gbatemp.net (the legendary underground hack web site)
It only takes me a couple hours to do everything since i all ready have my wii softmodded and backed up my SSBB-NTSC as an ISO file.
I used to play all my backed up game (iso/wbfs) with usbloaderGX and i only wanted to do it the same way with projectm without any other tricks.

Step 1 , Get the requirements:

• A pal HACKED wii (homebrew channel ready)
  • A wii USB backup launcher homebrew (In my case UsbLoaderGX v3 1233)
  • A SuperSmashBros.Brawl NTSC backup ISO file of your original game disk.
  • The projectM 3.5 installation files (it could be the FULL SET installations files or the WIFI-SAFE installations files) http://projectmgame.com/en/download
  • The SSBB Mod Iso Builder software ( used with Win7 32bits, can deliver an ISO or a WBFS file, i choose iso) https://gbatemp.net/threads/ssbb-mod-iso-builder.351177/
  • A NTSC CAPABLE TELEVISION (that displays ntsc video signal from gameconsole/dvd or any other source in colors, perfect frame rate and without image flickering or sound bugs, Yeah the only problem could be your TV screen!)
NOTE:
* The SSBB Mod Iso builder update for projectM 3.5 suggest to include in the software directory a smashbros_sound.bsrar
file that will fix pm3.5 sound bugs, nevertheless the build works without it *
** Everyone should understand that many people play project m using the Wii/GameCube PC/MAC Emulator Dolphin, they dont have the same expectations (NETplay, HDtextures..) and issues than wii real console users so watchout when following instructions on the web **

step 2 : Build A projectM 3.5 .iso or .wbfs file.
i used this tutorial:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2mtvlj/35_fullset_iso_builder_working_events_and_allstar/
(this link leads to the updated iso builder software and the projectm fullset file)
esssentialy it says that you should:
  • put your smashbrawl_NTSC iso in the SSBB_Mod_Iso_Builder folder,
  • launch the buildISO.bat and follow the instructions displayed to merge everything and obtain a projectM3.5 game in the directory .
Obviously, with this method if any projectm's update or patch is released in the future you will have to start all over again.

Step 3 : Launch the projectM 3.5 backup with your backup launcher.
  • Copy the projectM3.5 iso/wbfs file in your usb device (HDD or Flashdrive).
  • Connect the usb device to the Wii and start your backup launcher (UsbLoaderGx for me).
  • In General settings or in specific game setting (the loader should allow it) set "video mode" to "Disc Default" or "Force NTSC" then save the settings.
Step 4 : LAUNCH THE GAME EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK FLAWLESSLY.

Note:
None "projectm" file or folder in the SD card are needed ;
None "Ocarina" code or "Hooktype" activation are needed ;
Excuse me, i didnt gives details on how to softmod a wii and install usb backup launcher, so many web site can explain it better than me. i will take the time to update some link if needed.
I really hope this will help..and i am hungry of your remarks and suggestions.

Last edited:

infernozeal

Smash Rookie
Did you have an existing save file on your Wii that loaded/worked when you started the game? My game works, but my save doesn't.

MaxThunder

PM Support
That's because the wii regards the different regions versions of the game different games and will make one save for each...

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Hello , i really want every pal wii user to smile like me, my english expression is not that good that's why instead of pretending to do a great tutorial, i will just tell what i did.

I made my main research on 3 web sites : here smashboard.com (the greatest smash community), reddit.com projectM forums (wich looks like the official discussion forum for projectM) and gbatemp.net (the legendary underground hack web site)
It only takes me a couple hours to do everything since i all ready have my wii softmodded and backed up my SSBB-NTSC as an ISO file.
I used to play all my backed up game (iso/wbfs) with usbloaderGX and i only wanted to do it the same way with projectm without any other tricks.

Step 1 , Get the requirements:

• A pal HACKED wii (homebrew channel ready)
  • A wii USB backup launcher homebrew (In my case UsbLoaderGX v3 1233)
  • A SuperSmashBros.Brawl NTSC backup ISO file of your original game disk.
  • The projectM 3.5 installation files (it could be the FULL SET installations files or the WIFI-SAFE installations files) http://projectmgame.com/en/download
  • The SSBB Mod Iso Builder software ( used with Win7 32bits, can deliver an ISO or a WBFS file, i choose iso) https://gbatemp.net/threads/ssbb-mod-iso-builder.351177/
  • A NTSC CAPABLE TELEVISION (that displays ntsc video signal from gameconsole/dvd or any other source in colors, perfect frame rate and without image flickering or sound bugs, Yeah the only problem could be your TV screen!)
NOTE:
* The SSBB Mod Iso builder update for projectM 3.5 suggest to include in the software directory a smashbros_sound.bsrar
file that will fix pm3.5 sound bugs, nevertheless the build works without it *
** Everyone should understand that many people play project m using the Wii/GameCube PC/MAC Emulator Dolphin, they dont have the same expectations (NETplay, HDtextures..) and issues than wii real console users so watchout when following instructions on the web **

step 2 : Build A projectM 3.5 .iso or .wbfs file.
i used this tutorial:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2mtvlj/35_fullset_iso_builder_working_events_and_allstar/
(this link leads to the updated iso builder software and the projectm fullset file)
esssentialy it says that you should:
  • put your smashbrawl_NTSC iso in the SSBB_Mod_Iso_Builder folder,
  • launch the buildISO.bat and follow the instructions displayed to merge everything and obtain a projectM3.5 game in the directory .
Obviously, with this method if any projectm's update or patch is released in the future you will have to start all over again.

Step 3 : Launch the projectM 3.5 backup with your backup launcher.
  • Copy the projectM3.5 iso/wbfs file in your usb device (HDD or Flashdrive).
  • Connect the usb device to the Wii and start your backup launcher (UsbLoaderGx for me).
  • In General settings or in specific game setting (the loader should allow it) set "video mode" to "Disc Default" or "Force NTSC" then save the settings.
Step 4 : LAUNCH THE GAME EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK FLAWLESSLY.

Note:
None "projectm" file or folder in the SD card are needed ;
None "Ocarina" code or "Hooktype" activation are needed ;
Excuse me, i didnt gives details on how to softmod a wii and install usb backup launcher, so many web site can explain it better than me. i will take the time to update some link if needed.
I really hope this will help..and i am hungry of your remarks and suggestions.
You dont need to build a pm iso. Just run the Brawl iso with Ocarina codes turned on in CFG Loader menu and it boots pm.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
Did you have an existing save file on your Wii that loaded/worked when you started the game? My game works, but my save doesn't.
No, i commontly speak french and i used to play the PAL version of Brawl . So they were only a PAL Brawl save file in my Wii and this save file use a different slot than my ProjectM3.5 save file (witch is a NTSC-Brawl save file)

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
You dont need to build a pm iso. Just run the Brawl iso with Ocarina codes turned on in CFG Loader menu and it boots pm.
really ? CFGLoader boots pm from ntsc-brawl back without any particular files in the SD card?
ok, this is my experience.
Since i used to launch my backups with many loaders (wiiflow, CFGLoader,...), i know that UsbLoaderGX is not perfect,none loader is perfect . But i choose to stick with it unless i got a huge issue because of it's reactive forum on gbatemp.

thank you for the information :)

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
That's because the wii regards the different regions versions of the game different games and will make one save for each...
hello you look like a veteran maybe you can help me. i never succed in building a wifi-set pm iso with this method . Can you tell me what i did wrong? Or give me some advices about it. i only whant a pm3.5 Wifi-set iso/wbfs file that USBLoaderGx could launch.
thank you

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
really ? CFGLoader boots pm from ntsc-brawl back without any particular files in the SD card?
he means, you don't need to build a PM ISO, you just need the Brawl ISO on your hard drive, and the PM files on the SD card. Then turn on Ocarina in the USB loader application, and it will load PM without having to build it into an ISO. Also saves the hassle of having to rebuild the ISO every time a new version of PM is released.

Regarding building a wifi-safe ISO, you should be able to just swap the full-set files with the wifi-safe files, but unless the ISO builder offers you the option to change the ID6 of the output ISO/WBFS, it will likely clash with the full set ISO's ID6, meaning you can't have both on the hard drive at once.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
he means, you don't need to build a PM ISO, you just need the Brawl ISO on your hard drive, and the PM files on the SD card. Then turn on Ocarina in the USB loader application, and it will load PM without having to build it into an ISO. Also saves the hassle of having to rebuild the ISO every time a new version of PM is released.

Regarding building a wifi-safe ISO, you should be able to just swap the full-set files with the wifi-safe files, but unless the ISO builder offers you the option to change the ID6 of the output ISO/WBFS, it will likely clash with the full set ISO's ID6, meaning you can't have both on the hard drive at once.
Thank you,
The isobuilder propose to builder whether the fullset or the wifisafe-set (and also brawl+ mod, brawl- mod , brawl balanced mod, patt mod)
I've also read on various forum that enabling ocarina codes and/or in some cases causes some crashes during pm play.
please just one single question wainting the must simple answer : witch file(s)/directory do i have to copy on my SD card and how should i enable ocarina code in usbloaderGX (the details , do what codes should i enable?) to activate PM3.5 mod
but i still think dealing with iso file will always be more comfortable for me. i am so fighten to manipulate my SD card is such ways...

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I've also read on various forum that enabling ocarina codes and/or in some cases causes some crashes during pm play.
Depends. If you built a PM ISO, then yes, it will crash. If you did what I said (just have the files on the SD card, and not built into the ISO), then you must enable Ocarina for them to work.

please just one single question wainting the must simple answer : witch file(s)/directory do i have to copy on my SD card and how should i enable ocarina code in usbloaderGX (the details , do what codes should i enable?) to activate PM3.5 mod
You would need the /apps/, /codes/ and /projectm/ folders, and the gameconfig.txt file, on the SD card. Then, enable Ocarina in Game Settings (or whatever it's called) when booting up the game.

but i still think dealing with iso file will always be more comfortable for me. i am so fighten to manipulate my SD card is such ways...
Honestly, modifying the Wii in the ways necessary for it to even be able to play ISOs is more dangerous than modifying the data on the SD card. At least you can back up and replace SD cards cheaply enough - brick your Wii, and you have a ~€100 paperweight.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
Depends. If you built a PM ISO, then yes, it will crash. If you did what I said (just have the files on the SD card, and not built into the ISO), then you must enable Ocarina for them to work.

You would need the /apps/, /codes/ and /projectm/ folders, and the gameconfig.txt file, on the SD card. Then, enable Ocarina in Game Settings (or whatever it's called) when booting up the game.

Honestly, modifying the Wii in the ways necessary for it to even be able to play ISOs is more dangerous than modifying the data on the SD card. At least you can back up and replace SD cards cheaply enough - brick your Wii, and you have a ~€100 paperweight.
thank you , enabling ocarina code works for me and everythings looks stable . Please I have some few questions because i didn't get the Wifi-Safe set.

i used the " Homebrew Option ZIP (WiFi-Safe) " from pm official website. the zip file contain all the directories you've mentioned (/apps/ , /codes/ , /projectm//) and also the gameconfig.txt file. I copied it all on the sd card and it works after enabling ocarina in the game's setting.
But it's still the fullset ; when i start a training session i found that i can shield by light pressing the L/R and i know that wifi-safe set doesn't allow analog L/R since it cause desync during online play. I don't understand what's happening since i used the wifi-safe pack .

Please , what should i do

Last edited:

MaxThunder

PM Support
no the wifi set makes analog L/R act like the digital L/R press... the major difference this makes is that you airdodge on light press in the wifi version...

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
thank you four your replies
please more details mabe i already succed in the past in geting the wifisafe set but i didnt know.
i doubt because everytime i start an oline match i have so many lags

i would like to know please the ultimate things to spot that i have the wifisafe set.
when you say : in the wifisafe set, air dodging works by light pressing L/R thats means in the fullset(and in brawl) air dodge ONLY works when full pressing the L/R?

thanx

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
i am really confused , looking on the web it is said that on the fullset version wifi doesnt work good becase of light pressing L/R

<<Replays and online play do not work properly as a result of L and R button light-presses causing online desynchronization. The Wi-Fi version allows these two things to work properly, and while it keeps the former version's battle features>>

from ssbwiki.com/projectm

I know my english is far from perfection please help me understand whats going on and what to do.​

MaxThunder

PM Support
they made the lihtpress in full version do shield but not tech or airdodge in melee... but brawl isn't able to save that in replays or transfer it over wifi so that causes wifi and replays to not work properly...
so in the wifi version they made lightpress act as a full press...

so try jumping and lightpressing... if you airdodge, you have the wifi version...

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
they made the lihtpress in full version do shield but not tech or airdodge in melee... but brawl isn't able to save that in replays or transfer it over wifi so that causes wifi and replays to not work properly...
so in the wifi version they made lightpress act as a full press...

so try jumping and lightpressing... if you airdodge, you have the wifi version...
Thanx , i got the wifi one . Amen!

StrawHatter

Smash Rookie
Trying to do this again after not touching it for like 2 months is a nightmare I swear.

Edit: I totally meant just getting PM on a PAL Wii.

Last edited:

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
Trying to do this again after not touching it for like 2 months is a nightmare I swear.

Edit: I totally meant just getting PM on a PAL Wii.
what do you have at your disposal ? a hacked or a non hacked PAL Wii?

- PAL Wii hacked
- projectm filles on SD CARD (and ocarina cheat codes from projectm files properly replace in de SD Card)
- SSBBrawl NTSC in your USB device connected to your PAL HAcked Wii
- launch your USB loader go to the game spécific setting and enable ocarina codes
- in games setting or general setting set video mode to disc mode (or force NTSC, but i prefer the disc video mode) note**Your TV should be NTSC Capable**
- Launch the backup

Be Patient sometimes (according to your USB device speed?) it could take a little more times (15-25sec) to show the PM logo.

Top Bottom