• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to start a Smash Bros Club at my school

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Hello all! I love Smash 4, as you can tell by me even posting here. I got into the game when I joined a group of friends who play Smash 4 on 3DS before school everyday. We love having fun talking about the game and talking about random stuff and what not. So we're trying to set up a Smash bros club for this year. I want to try to have at least 4 set ups (1 for each Smash games) and increase it depending on how many people show up. I also want some of us to go to 2 tournaments in the second semester and just have a good time. I'll also try to teach some tech skills in Smash 4 for those who don't know who want to get in deeper.

Now my biggest problem here is that the person who is going to be our club president thinks that Anything non-omega stage is non-competitive or "for scrubs". I want the club to be as ready as possible for our first tournament, so how do I convince the club president to play on other stages like Smashville or battlefield and such?

And any other good club advice?

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
Well, I don't know how easy it's gonna be to convince your friend. I would just tell him that the pros do it, and I'm pretty sure they're not scrubs. He should at least allow Smashville, Battlefield, and Duck Hunt (and maybe Dreamland 64 since it's exactly like battlefield). I also remember being in a video game club last year, and it was great, except that there was one guy who was really annoying and couldn't comprehend the concept of taking turns. Other than that, I think you should be set. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing at my college this year. I wish the best of luck for the both of us.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I want to try to have at least 4 set ups (1 for each Smash games) and increase it depending on how many people show up.
Having 4 setups for one game or 2 setups for 2 games would probably be more beneficial than having 1 setup for each game (2 people would be at brawl/64 while 10 would be cramming around the Smash 4/Melee setups).

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
you are casuals then
Have you seen how much skill ZeRo, Nairo, Abadango, and Mr. R along with countless others have put into the game and got out of it? That is not casual. My and my friends are inspired by that and we want to become as good as that.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
smash 4 is a party game. i cannot stress this enough because even the creator of the game said that he did not want people to play it competitively. so many competitive elements are missing from it, and the concept that anyone can win regardless of skill is complete bull****.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
smash 4 is a party game. i cannot stress this enough because even the creator of the game said that he did not want people to play it competitively. so many competitive elements are missing from it, and the concept that anyone can win regardless of skill is complete bull****.
If this is all you are going to spend your time on in the boards, I suggest you either stay in the Melee/PM boards or get out. You should respect opinions about Smash 4, and keep your own to yourself.
As to answer this question, show your friend some tourney matches that are easy to find from many different streamers youtubes (VGBootCamp, Tourney Locator) and notice how Final Destination is not usually played on, in favor of Battlefield, Smashville, Town and City, and even Halberd or Delfino Plaza. If this doesn't convince him, I can't help you.
Finally, as for setups, I would start with setups for Smash 4, and ask if there is any interest in other smash games before setting those games up. I am currently running an Anime/Smash club myself at my school, and I found that this is the best way to get interest! (We are even going to do some brawl modding in upcoming weekends!) I hope this helps, and have fun!

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
You should probably talk to him about the legal stages in competitive Smash 4 and the rules regarding counterpicks. Separate each meeting to teach a different fundamental skill in Sm4sh. Host friendlies weekly and small, schoolwide tourneys monthly.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Thanks for all the support and feedback guys! Unfortunately, today I found out the school shot down my proposal because it was "Too narrowly focused" and needed it to be a general video game club.....

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Thanks for all the support and feedback guys! Unfortunately, today I found out the school shot down my proposal because it was "Too narrowly focused" and needed it to be a general video game club.....
That sucks but don't let that get you down. Find a way to make a Gaming Club that holds monthly Smash tournaments with a few meetings dedicated to "gitting gud".

I'm not sure how you would be able to follow through with your plan to let the club attend major tournaments but at least this kind of allows your idea to stay relevant within the club.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
They are probably saying that because they think that there won't be enough interest. Maybe ask them if you can host the club if you get a petition with X amount of signatures representing people willing to join.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
They are probably saying that because they think that there won't be enough interest. Maybe ask them if you can host the club if you get a petition with X amount of signatures representing people willing to join.
Maybe. I know at least 6 or 7 people that would join, maybe more but I don't know if that's enough for them. I mean, I've been in an electronics club that has been whittled down to 10-15 people by the end of the year as opposed to the 30 that joined at the beginning. So why would it be any different if we had a dedicated group of 10-15 to start that won't leave?

That sucks but don't let that get you down. Find a way to make a Gaming Club that holds monthly Smash tournaments with a few meetings dedicated to "gitting gud".

I'm not sure how you would be able to follow through with your plan to let the club attend major tournaments but at least this kind of allows your idea to stay relevant within the club.
My friends and I will see about that. But gaming is such a broad topic, having a "Gaming" club only heavily focused on Smash for the fighting genre in general is kind of a disservice to those who do want to join for other games. Only thing I could see getting out a video game club and potientally leading it is buying a Playstation TV for the club and messing with the various PSP/PS1/Vita games.

AEFrazzleCandy

Smash Cadet
NNID
GatorCrash
Maybe. I know at least 6 or 7 people that would join, maybe more but I don't know if that's enough for them. I mean, I've been in an electronics club that has been whittled down to 10-15 people by the end of the year as opposed to the 30 that joined at the beginning. So why would it be any different if we had a dedicated group of 10-15 to start that won't leave?

My friends and I will see about that. But gaming is such a broad topic, having a "Gaming" club only heavily focused on Smash for the fighting genre in general is kind of a disservice to those who do want to join for other games. Only thing I could see getting out a video game club and potientally leading it is buying a Playstation TV for the club and messing with the various PSP/PS1/Vita games.
Maybe you could work other fighting games into the club, like Street Fighter or Mortal Combat?? That won't take away as much for those who want to join for Smash. You could put different games on different days maybe, then overall have one big tournament for the 3.

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Just remember that Super Smash Bros. is not always about competition; it can be played non-competitively. Perhaps you can turn on items for a couple matches or so. I don't know whether the persuasion will work

Powerman293

Smash Ace
So it turns out the general Videogame/anime club at my school is very poorly run. They don't really have a plan or anything and they can't seem to get the club under control a lot of the time. And I don't trust them to have a training/practice regiment for Smash. So it looks like I'm gonna have to try to get this Smash specific club off the ground. Thoughts?

AEFrazzleCandy

Smash Cadet
NNID
GatorCrash
Have weekly tournaments, stick to fighting games that resemble Smash so your members have variety, and have lot's of spare time to talk about the games and chat about them.

And remember, you're boss, so stay confident!

Top Bottom