• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to play Brawl with a PSX Arcade Stick

JakubDi

Smash Rookie
Hi,

I'm a dedicated competitive fighting game player who bought Wii last week and wants to learn Brawl basics.

I've tried playing the game on my custom Arcade Stick (it has PSX analogless pad PCB) via a PS1/PS2 -> GC converter (I have two of them), however, it seems that I can't use analog directions this way, meaning that I can only use up, right/left and down for attacks/grabs/etc. but not for movement. Is there any way to play Brawl using this type of controller? Is it possible to play SSBB with a GC arcade stick?

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Not sure, but a GCN controller is unanimously viewed as the best option. And the generics are crap. Get a Nintendo one.

JakubDi

Smash Rookie
I've heard that the GC controller is the best option but I play most fighting games with Arcade Sticks (apart from Mortal Kombat) and wouldn't want to make another exception.

Thank you anyway.

Gea

Smash Master
You should check out SRK forums. Someone was working on a stick that would actually function for smash. Be prepared to shell out some dosh for it, as it would need an analog stick.

JakubDi

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the info. Guess I will stick to Wii controller since SCV is almost out and I'll be dedicating myself to that game. I hoped that an analog stick wouldn't be necessary for Brawl.

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the info. Guess I will stick to Wii controller since SCV is almost out and I'll be dedicating myself to that game. I hoped that an analog stick wouldn't be necessary for Brawl.
You could do without it, but then again it opens up advanced movement options you couldn't do without it. :grin:

Glad to see you coming from other fighting games. How'd you get interested in Smash Brothers?

JakubDi

Smash Rookie
I'm a dedicated Soulcalibur player (I was top/best in my country for SCII and SCIII, planning to be the best in SCV) who is also playing other fighting game competitively, e.g. Tekken, Mortal Kombat, SF and Virtua Fighter.

I started liking Brawl when I watched some MLG videos last year, especially those with Mew2King's Meta Knight. I played SSBB for the first time two weeks ago and I actually won a small tournament the day after (yup, I was playing Meta Knight, sorry for that).

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
Wow that's a lot of games and a lot of strategies to remember! I'm quite the Tekken fan. I can't wait for TTT2!

Do you think the fighting game community looks down on Smash players? Based on your resume, it took you a while to get to this part of the gaming spectrum.

Oh and you didn't win with the arcade stick did you? :bee:

Glad to see you on here.

JakubDi

Smash Rookie
If you are a Tekken fan be sure to visit SDTekken and Tekken Zaibatsu (I'm an editor of both of them).

I didn't play on my AS since I couldn't use it, not to mention the Wii we used didn't have GC gamepad ports ;). My weapon was Wiilot + nunchack.

I think that many people do look down on Smash itself, what implicates looking down on Smash players because when judged by the first sight it looks like a party game with Nintendo characters + several more. As for me, I had always liked Nintendo games and had played Smash a little on N64 but later I didn't have any opportunity to play Melee or Brawl. Now I have my own Wii so guess I will learn the stuff but I have to become familiar with SOULCALIBUR V first (that's my main game at the moment).

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
ahh yes I've been a member of Tekken Zaibatsu since 2002. Somehow I remembered my password and signed back in yesterday...it's been a while...no one will no me haha

As soon as TTT2 is out I'm gonna be on there again. Good luck with SC5. Namco rocks

Top Bottom