• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to learn more about "invinci-dash"

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Since it's possible to do this on Brawl's Yoshi's Island, I'm trying to understand as much as I can about this move, as it seems quite useful for approaches on that stage. Apparently it's supposed to transfer the invincibility frames from the SD hop into the entire roll, but all I can seem to manage is a higher priority spin dash that will clank with pretty much everything.

Everything, that is, except certain projectiles, one of which is a fully-charged, max-Aura AS. Lucario's f-smash also seems to be able to hit Sonic at max-Aura.

Am I missing something or what?

infomon

Smash Scientist
[Tenki's side-B / down-B thread] has the technical details. But yeah, the invincible spindash is weird, in all its forms.

As Tenki told me recently, you can tell if you're in an invincible roll because you'll be flashing white. It's a bit subtle if you're not looking out for it, IMO. I find I get it to work rather inconsistenly on Yoshi's Island; sometimes I get a normal dash where I think it's invincible, lol... so be careful.

And yes, you will clash against most hitboxes during the invincible dash. However, that's much better than having them hit your hurtbox, causing you damage! When you got hit by an aura sphere, are you really sure that you were in the invincible roll? (Hmmm, although I just thought of an alternate possible explanation for why AS' could even harm you out of an invincible roll; I'm not sure about it tho.)

Some hitboxes don't clash against the invincible roll though, like Snake's Fsmash; you'll go right through it and hit the Snake :laugh: but Snake can just hold A to jab and you'll clash and near-instantly be standing neutral, out of your spindash.

Top Bottom