• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to figure out if the lag is on my end

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Hello, new to smash here. Just got the Wii U. Anyways, my first couple of days playing online I found only some matches (1v1 glory is all I've been playing) have been laggy. I had gotten a lot of what seemed to be lag-free matches and tried sticking with that player. Ok, but now here's the problem. Yesterday and today after getting home from class (around 11 am/lunch time) I've been getting lag 1v1's non-stop... over and over. A lot of them were playable but then sometimes it would lag so bad it'd become a slide show or everything just seemed a bit delayed.
I'm trying to figure out if this is on my end or not, or if it's the time of day and most people in US or at school or work (I can't tell what region the people are from that I match with, is there a way how?). I haven't had a chance to test it later in the day yet because I've been busy. I'm mainly a PC gamer and always have extremely smooth connection on my desktop (wired connection) My service is Verizon Fios. I don't know if or how to speed test my Wii U's connection, so to replicate that I took my mom's little work laptop last night, brought it into my room where my Wii U is and did a speed test there (not using my desktop for a comparison because it's wired not Wi-fi like the laptop.)
Here are the results:
Laptop on Wi-fi- Ping- 7 ms, download speed- 27.14 Mbps, upload speed- 47.57 Mbps
My desktop results are obviously much better hence the direct connection. But I'm really trying to troubleshoot what may be going on here. Is it on my end? Or is it the game, or the other player. I need to know and possibly fix this because I want to buy splatoon soon which is a multiplayer based game. I live in NJ so if there's anyone else on the east coast that has good connection that'd like to 1v1 with me-that would be a great way to really find out which end it may be on. Anyways, input on this appreciated, thank you.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Well, your ping and internet speeds (though a direct connection) seem to indicate you have a decent enough internet to play Smash 4. At any rate you shouldn't be lagging the way you described it.
But if you're getting it every match, it might be you?

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
So you guys most of the time get completely lag free matches? And I mean completely smooth, not stuttering or anything. I did a few more 1v1's just now and they had a few quick stutters here and there which is annoying. I just don't get how it'd be on my end. My internet provider is good, and VPTurnip VPTurnip I'm was using the Wi-fi for those results not direct connection. I meant my desktop is direct connection if thats what you meant. I'm just really annoyed I want to have a fun experience online , I just want to fix this but don't know how.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
Im not sure i'm East Coast aswell with about the same MBPS rating, and i almost never have lagged online. I mean when i do it's only for that one match on a player who is either quite far away or has shoddy internet. If you want to add me my NNID is Sherrdreamz. im from upstate NY but only on late at night. It's definitely a peculiar phenomenon with your connection..

Dr. Windbox

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThatFalconMain
3DS FC
0791-4713-7838
Lag is very dependent on where your opponent is in the world. What I have found is that if they are in a country that is directly opposite of you on the globe, than the connection is actually better then say for us Costa Rica. So if they are a player in western Europe or eastern Asia the lag is not as bad. Hope that helps in some way.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Im not sure i'm East Coast aswell with about the same MBPS rating, and i almost never have lagged online. I mean when i do it's only for that one match on a player who is either quite far away or has shoddy internet. If you want to add me my NNID is Sherrdreamz. im from upstate NY but only on late at night. It's definitely a peculiar phenomenon with your connection..
Ok, I'll add you later and 1v1 when you're on then you can tell me if you experience any lag or not. My NNID is Amplifyx

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
ohh sorry i guess i need to do something with Mii-verse, i never saw you Online, if you were i could have joined. anyway try tomorrows mayhaps

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Dr. Windbox Dr. Windbox might be right, I tend to not have any lag with people from Japan or France.

And oh, sorry, thought you meant directly like plugging into a router. Well, still shouldn't be that laggy.

But to your first question, no, everyone gets at least small lag sometimes, that's normal.

Mikey Da Bawse

Smash Cadet
NNID
MikeyDaBawse
3DS FC
5129-1447-8505
Lag can be confusing on whose end it's on.
I got a decent connection, a Lan adapter, and usually close everything internet related when I play online but can still lag when I play with an irl friend not even 5 miles from me.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Dr. Windbox Dr. Windbox might be right, I tend to not have any lag with people from Japan or France.

And oh, sorry, thought you meant directly like plugging into a router. Well, still shouldn't be that laggy.

But to your first question, no, everyone gets at least small lag sometimes, that's normal.
ok, cool. and yea I've actually been getting some pretty smooth matches thankfully. Many completely lag free. A hiccup here or there from time to time but nothing major, which is normal like you've said. :D

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
I was doing a few matches (1v1 glory) just earlier and it's strange because one player I was playing against seemed fine. The first 2 games were lagless it seemed but then the 3rd and 4th had a few lag spikes here and there. It happened again with another user after that except it lagged a bit the first game as well. Does anyone know why this happens? Why does the lag come on like that, even when the first few matches were lagless? Is this a problem on my end? I don't get it. I've yet to 1v1 someone that I know for a fact has good connection and lives relatively close to really test it out. But anyways, idk what to think. Could it be time of day? 1 pm. on a thursday, I guess most people are working or at school?

Pommgreen

Smash Rookie
Hey horizons889 I live in NJ and play this game online everyday. I think I have a good connection. I also have a lan adapter for my wii u. I would like to play with you and see if our connection would be good without any lag. You said your NNID is Amplifyx? My NNID is Pommgreen. I'll add you. Please add me too.

Top Bottom