• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tryhards and Competetive play(This has turned into an episode of doctor phill, DONT REPLY)

TypicalGoat

Smash Rookie
So me and my brother were playin some PM, I was using my main (Lucario) and he was using Ganon. My brother is new to competitive scene and still uses a wii remote. After getting him into countless combos he rage quits and calls me a try hard. I tell him that that's just how competitive smash is. By then the salt was rushing through his veins, and tells me that I am in no way competeive just because I have never to been to a tourney. I told him that, yes I have not been to a tourney(although I do want to go to one) but that doesn't mean I'm not competetive. Anything from wave dashing to L canceling I try I put in my gameplay. So, would you agree with his statement, or mine?

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
You can't not be competitive in any medium that requires two conscious opposing forces to try and best one another. Tell him to get good.

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
"Tryhard" is just a word that bad players use to try to discredit players that are better than them.
no, no, this is most certainly not true
using a non-PM example, you can tell when someone is a tryhard when they continuously dash dance and use short hop aerials in Sm4sh when their opponent is respawning instead of charging their projectiles or actually having fun and taunting

orrrr they're just simply not having fun in any game

or they play as Fox in Brawl or SSB4

to respond to the OP, you bro is just salty tbh. if he can't get over it (which he should probably get to doing since we don't need another K9) then try baby steps. have him try to combo you, but you don't use DI, then use DI suddenly and explain why that worked.

if that doesn't work then i'd give up but that's just me

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
using a non-PM example, you can tell when someone is a tryhard when they continuously dash dance and use short hop aerials in Sm4sh when their opponent is respawning instead of charging their projectiles or actually having fun and taunting

to respond to the OP, you bro is just salty tbh. if he can't get over it (which he should probably get to doing since we don't need another K9) then try baby steps. have him try to combo you, but you don't use DI, then use DI suddenly and explain why that worked.

You cant dd in sm4sh.

Charging your projectiles is actually more beneficial which all tryhards want.

Taunting could be considered as mockery

Some people have fun playing fox.

So what are you trying to say?

Last edited:

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
You cant dd in sm4sh.

Charging your projectiles is actually more beneficial which all tryhards want.

Taunting could be considered as mockery

Some people have fun playing fox.

So what are you trying to say?
except you can, it's just not very useful

it is beneficial but tryhards like to try to make themselves look SUPER COOL and do dash dances instead when there are no mindgames to be played

i don't really have a comment for this one since that's what taunts are

impossible, only tryhards play as fox

the fox comment was sarcastic lmao, but let's be honest here, it's impossible to find a fox in "For Fun"

EDIT: wait dammit i forgot every post here is 100% serious

Last edited:

TypicalGoat

Smash Rookie

In addition to the DI part, he would probably reply with, "That's extremely stupid." or "Why is this game so complicated."

Narpas_sword

I'm not sure how necessary a thread on sibling rivalry is...
Is this to make you feel better? or are you, at some point, going to make him read it, saying "look at all the internet people on my side"?

Hug it out like brothers should. There's no sense in arguing with your brother over a video game.
And if you're actually 34 like your profile says, you should feel bad.

TypicalGoat

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure how necessary a thread on sibling rivalry is...
Is this to make you feel better? or are you, at some point, going to make him read it, saying "look at all the internet people on my side"?

Hug it out like brothers should. There's no sense in arguing with your brother over a video game.
And if you're actually 34 like your profile says, you should feel bad.
This was more of people's opinions on what makes someone a competetive player.
Also, I see that you became a mod recently from helping people with game bugs. My PM crashes after 30 minutes of play, is it just my wii, or the game itself?

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

sounds like a help and support issue, not a bug.
Take a read of the topics in the Help forums, and see if you can find anything similar.
Check the troubleshooting guide.
If you need to make a topic asking for help be sure to add as many details as you can.

and id say a competitive player is someone who play's to win
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

Last edited:

TypicalGoat

Smash Rookie
sounds like a help and support issue, not a bug.
Take a read of the topics in the Help forums, and see if you can find anything similar.
Check the troubleshooting guide.
If you need to make a topic asking for help be sure to add as many details as you can.
Ok, thanks for the help!

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
well if you're constantly comboing him and he's barely able to fight back like your post implies, of course he's going to get frustrated and quit, not everyone finds slamming their heads against a wall enjoyable. although the manner in which your brother handled it is not optimal in the slightest

however, i dont know enough about your situation. does your brother like playing PM? what kind of game does he like to play (1v1, free-for-all with items, etc.)? does he have a passion to improve, or does he just like playing PM as-is? why does he prefer the wiimote over other control options (assuming he prefers it)? have you shown him how to do advanced techniques, and has he implemented any of them into his gameplay?

the whole "casual vs competitve" mindset doesn't really exist in a game where the entire point is for many forces to compete against each other for victory. rather, these buzzwords tend to be used to refer to skill levels that people have, which and be both demeaning and inaccurate. generally, people use the word "competitive" to mean "having the drive to compete" rather than just "to compete." for example, if there is a person who knows nothing about wavedashing or l-canceling and is generally not very good at the game, but still strives to better himself by seeking out ways to improve and fighting other players, i would consider this person as being "competitive," as in "having the drive to compete."

to answer the initial question, i think your brother's argument went something like this: "To be competitive, you must attend a tournament. You have never entered a tournament. Therefore, you are not competitive." however, going by my definition of "competitive" that i outlined, attending a tournament is NOT a prerequisite to "having the drive to compete." in fact, i'd argue that even entering a tournament requires a degree of competitiveness, since the entire point of tournaments is for many people around the world to compete against each other, so it's safe to assume that everyone playing in the tournament are already competitive to begin with.

this is besides the point, but being that you two are brothers, it might be best to resolve the differences that you two have in a positive way. assuming that you two grew up together and shared similar experiences, it would be a shame if you two separated under petty conditions. having another person who grew up alongside you and someone that can provide you support is a luxury not many people have. either way, i really shouldnt be telling you how to treat your brother, as it's none of my business

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
I try not to chose my main when I'm playing someone who's brand new to the game( I typically chose random). there's a genuine "ineptness" there that can make the game a little more even for whoever you're facing and would keep them playing as well as satisfied. and also, don't try so many AT's, it's nice that you know them but don't go HAM on someone who's still green because what fun would it be to try to try to hit a 100 mile speed ball when you barely know how to hold the bat correctly?

Top Bottom