• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with short hop double laser

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
I suck at short hop double lasers, I either get a full hop triple laser or just a short hop single laser.
Any advice or tips or anything would help

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
You have to be super fast getting between y and b. I just claw so it was pretty easy to learn, I don't know if there's any tricks otherwise.

Derpbiscuits

Smash Rookie
it's similar to a multishine motion (if you multishine with y), basically just try to slide your thumb from y to b as fast as possible
how you position your thumb is up to you but I generally try and put the center of my thumb on the very edge of y and slide down.

practice

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
try it with tap jump, it's not as awkward as you'd think
I think learning it this way is a waste of time because if you wanna play fox, you'll eventually have to learn how to move your thumb quickly from y/x to b so you can do JC shine and doubleshines and ****.

To each his own though.

When I was first learning shdl I would cover both y and b with my thumb and then roll it quickly from top to bottom. Eventually that motion evolved into just being able to go y-b really fast.

yttik

I think learning it this way is a waste of time because if you wanna play fox, you'll eventually have to learn how to move your thumb quickly from y/x to b so you can do JC shine and doubleshines and ****.
I see what you mean. I can JC shine and multishine well enough, my problem was never that I couldn't move from Y to B fast enough, it was that double tapping the button afterwards was difficult and I missed short hops. Separating motions to different hands if possible is usually helpful, for me at least.

-Mysterion-

Smash Rookie
It got a lot easier for me once I started moving from y to b in one fluid motion instead of clicking both in separate motions

smatd

Smash Rookie
I used the X button for everything until I had to learn SHDL.

I slide with the pad of my thumb from Y upward and to the left and fully extend the thumb so it is erect, this motion leads to the middle part of my thumb (under the knuckle) to already be on the B button.

So you slide your thumb up and left slightly off of the end of the y-button and double tap b immediately.

I believe this to be the most anatomically efficient method of doing this as far as fluidity (ease of moving back to other buttons) speed (using two different parts of the thumb as to not have to move the pad of your thumb so far) and efficiency
(cut down on hand flubs, this motion is very easy to repeat)

Also it's worth mentioning this small amount of movement is much easier on your hands as far as physical stress.
I'm extremely consistent with these now and it really only took me a half hour to get decent at them once I started using this method. If this method doesn't work/feel good for you DON'T USE IT.

This is merely a suggestion and an explanation of the way I move my hands.

It got a lot easier for me once I started moving from y to b in one fluid motion instead of clicking both in separate motions
This guy knows^

Here I made a Video to kind of show what I mean if I didn't explain it super well.

Last edited:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I jump with X.
My mistake was that I waited for Fox to be airborne before mashing B. But then I realized that l had to mash B immediately after pressing X before Fox left the ground.

Anyways, you said that you sometimes ended up full hopping so you'll have to master SH first. Try doing 10/10 times.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
As a Fox main, tap to jump isn't impossible to implement...I switch between tap jump for SHDL, waveshines, multishines, etc, but x + C-stick for aerials.

Top Bottom