• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with replacing Character Names via BrawlBox

Yoshisaur K. Fireball

Smash Rookie
Hi, all. I'm doing a mod of Brawl, and I'm trying to replace the names of the characters when they appear on the results screen (as well as other areas such as in the Replay Vault, on Pokemon Stadium 1/2, PictoChat and Records). The file for these names appears to located in common3.pac under MiscData[26]. Whenever I replace it, update the iso and go into the game, however, it crashes upon trying to load it.
I am using BrawlBox v0.78, and running a PAL copy of Brawl. I have looked for an answer for this many times, but I cannot seem to find one. If anyone here has any information about this, please let me know, and thanks.

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
When you're replacing, are you checking the dimensions of the textures? Because the #1 cause of crashes is filesize; plus, I've never messed with menu stuff, and it's never powers of 2 for the menus, so it might be more persnickety

Yoshisaur K. Fireball

Smash Rookie
When you're replacing, are you checking the dimensions of the textures? Because the #1 cause of crashes is filesize; plus, I've never messed with menu stuff, and it's never powers of 2 for the menus, so it might be more persnickety
I'm replacing text, not textures. MiscData[26] is a .msbin file.

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
Oh; in that case, was any of the text code? And maybe what you replaced with, it doesn't recognize as code, so it can't figure out what it is? What was it originally, and what did you replace it with?

Yoshisaur K. Fireball

Smash Rookie
Oh; in that case, was any of the text code? And maybe what you replaced with, it doesn't recognize as code, so it can't figure out what it is? What was it originally, and what did you replace it with?
Well, I mean... it's literally just letters being replaced by other letters. Every other text file I've replaced in the game has worked fine when I've replaced them, with the exception of this one. The closest thing I could find to an explanation online was that it may be BrawlBox corrupting the file.

Yoshisaur K. Fireball

Smash Rookie
Have you tried using BrawlCrate then? It's like Brawlbox version 2.0, pretty much
OK, I tried BrawlCrate, but it ended up producing the exact same results. Maybe it's something about that specific file that doesn't seem to work for some reason? ...even though the file size was exactly the same...

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, when you say "exactly" the same, it's possible that it could like literally one byte over or something and not necessarily say anything in the properties; did you try lowering the filesize to definitely below, just to be sure?

Top Bottom