• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with getting better with Samus.

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
Hey guys, I've been a Samus main ever since melee when I was playing casually, but since I've started getting competitive this last year, I've been really trying to improve with her, despite her being low on the tier list. The thing is, I feel really stuck with Sammy. I feel I can't improve with her and that my playstyle is too stiff / linear. It seems like I play very awkwardly with Samus and I just can't level up with he. I don't want to quit playing her, as I love Metroid more than any series and want to strictly improve with her. The point being, how did you guys improve with Samus? How did you adapt to her playstyle and play her so fluidly? I have more than a thousand hours with her and I still feel STUCK. Thanks for reading guys, any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
A mix of patience, trying out way too many situational moves and gimmicks and of course... changing my button layout so I can use her up B out of shield. I got better with her simply by using her more and more and learning to cover the basic-brain situations you often find in FG and then moving on from there.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Are you:

-watching your replays to identify common patterns and mistakes
-sharing replays online or with friends and ask them for help
-asking people who beat you how they did it, what did they see etc
-not being predictable, thus changing playstyles and attack patterns mid game
-practicing your inputs / ATs
-playing frequently enough
---actively playing your best during play sessins (read: TRAINING)
---not tired / fatigued during
-familiar with all the characters
-knowledgeable on the matchups (will my CS go through his aura sphere?)
-being on offense when its time to attack and being on defense when time to defend
-have any objective metric on how well you are playing / improving

Just because you don't feel like you aren't improving, doesn't necessarily mean you aren't; everyone else may be improving as well (indeed, they are) so you may not notice it. Also, awkward, weird, or fluid, doesn't matter. What matters is the stocks. I don't know how you can be fluid and unpredictable at the same time. If you feel weird with Samus, it means you don't have control over her, and need to focus on the fundamentals. Pick a move or technique, and focus on that. Go to FG and use only 1 or 2 moves etc and try to win. You will quickly learn the limits of that particular move / technique.

Also, if you focus too much on how well you are doing, you could be undermining your goal. Stress is a big killer of ability, just look at people at their first tournament. Try to relax and have fun, and not worry about what the opponent thinks about you, how well you are in relation to others, etc. Just focus on being Samus, and doing whatever it is you can to rack up those percents. And never give up, even if you are down a game, or a stock, or 100%. You can't die if you don't get hit. Just take each second of the game as if it were like the opening of the match.

And yes, be prepared to lose. Often. Especially if you make it to Anther's or tournaments. There is only so much Samus can do, unless you are a superhuman demigod.

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
Are you:

-watching your replays to identify common patterns and mistakes
-sharing replays online or with friends and ask them for help
-asking people who beat you how they did it, what did they see etc
-not being predictable, thus changing playstyles and attack patterns mid game
-practicing your inputs / ATs
-playing frequently enough
---actively playing your best during play sessins (read: TRAINING)
---not tired / fatigued during
-familiar with all the characters
-knowledgeable on the matchups (will my CS go through his aura sphere?)
-being on offense when its time to attack and being on defense when time to defend
-have any objective metric on how well you are playing / improving

Just because you don't feel like you aren't improving, doesn't necessarily mean you aren't; everyone else may be improving as well (indeed, they are) so you may not notice it. Also, awkward, weird, or fluid, doesn't matter. What matters is the stocks. I don't know how you can be fluid and unpredictable at the same time. If you feel weird with Samus, it means you don't have control over her, and need to focus on the fundamentals. Pick a move or technique, and focus on that. Go to FG and use only 1 or 2 moves etc and try to win. You will quickly learn the limits of that particular move / technique.

Also, if you focus too much on how well you are doing, you could be undermining your goal. Stress is a big killer of ability, just look at people at their first tournament. Try to relax and have fun, and not worry about what the opponent thinks about you, how well you are in relation to others, etc. Just focus on being Samus, and doing whatever it is you can to rack up those percents. And never give up, even if you are down a game, or a stock, or 100%. You can't die if you don't get hit. Just take each second of the game as if it were like the opening of the match.

And yes, be prepared to lose. Often. Especially if you make it to Anther's or tournaments. There is only so much Samus can do, unless you are a superhuman demigod.
I'm going to follow your advice dude, thanks!

Top Bottom