• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble VS Mewtwo. Help?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
So - in short, I suck at the Mewtwo MU. No matter who I play as, I always fall flat on my face when it comes to fighting Mewtwo.

I'm really just... -unsure, to be honest, so I came here hoping that Mewtwo mains could help me pick apart their weaknesses and hopefully give me a few general tips - y'know, just overall give me a better advantage. I used to play Mewtwo (badly) a lot on his release so I know the basics - recognize when U-Smash is coming, watch out for shadow ball, etc. - but I have no idea about the finer details. Obviously Mewtwo's strategies have evolved since release but I've honestly just not kept up.

I think more than anything, what I'd like to know most is:
-What're Mewtwo's strongest tools?
-What combos/strings does he have, and how to avoid them?
-Why the hell do I keep getting hit by his jab?.. *cries* (This one is serious by the way, I can't seem to avoid this thing.)

On the other hand - this would also be good info to have just incase I feel like picking Mewtwo up again myself.
To be honest, any info would be good, so go wild on telling me how I should approach fighting Mewtwo, whether it's character related or not.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So - in short, I suck at the Mewtwo MU. No matter who I play as, I always fall flat on my face when it comes to fighting Mewtwo.

I'm really just... -unsure, to be honest, so I came here hoping that Mewtwo mains could help me pick apart their weaknesses and hopefully give me a few general tips - y'know, just overall give me a better advantage. I used to play Mewtwo (badly) a lot on his release so I know the basics - recognize when U-Smash is coming, watch out for shadow ball, etc. - but I have no idea about the finer details. Obviously Mewtwo's strategies have evolved since release but I've honestly just not kept up.

I think more than anything, what I'd like to know most is:
-What're Mewtwo's strongest tools?
-What combos/strings does he have, and how to avoid them?
-Why the hell do I keep getting hit by his jab?.. *cries* (This one is serious by the way, I can't seem to avoid this thing.)

On the other hand - this would also be good info to have just incase I feel like picking Mewtwo up again myself.
To be honest, any info would be good, so go wild on telling me how I should approach fighting Mewtwo, whether it's character related or not.
In general, what Mewtwo struggles with the most is heavy rushdown, as he is both somewhat vulnerable to strings and has trouble resetting against fast characters, plus it prevents him from charging.

It's hard to say which of his tools are the strongest since almost all of them are useful in ways, though overall I guess they're dtilt (his main combo starter), fair (AKA shadow claw), dsmash for it's low endlag and power and bair for it's big range.

There is of course a thread containing the details for his combos http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwos-big-book-o-combos-8-characters-done.413911/, but suffice it to say his main combo starters are dtilt (particularly up close), jab and nair (tricky though). Other combo tools include late dash attack at low percents and utilt, plus uair on fastfallers. Dtilt to fair at lower percents is his bread and butter with more possible depending on weight and falling speed.

If you're getting hit by his jab a lot, it probably means you're either too slow in boxing (which seems to be the case for Ganondorf) or your approaches are getting predictable. Jab also has the trample property which means he does not suffer recoil when it clanks.

Shadowrath

Smash Rookie
ll you need to do is rush him down and don't let him use shadow ball. Punish every mistake he makes, and keep him above you. Mewtwo doesn't have many options when coming down, except his dair, which is really risky. He is the lightest cahracter in the game as well, so if you can, pick up ness or lucas and you can easily juggle him with up air and pk fire.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
ll you need to do is rush him down and don't let him use shadow ball. Punish every mistake he makes, and keep him above you. Mewtwo doesn't have many options when coming down, except his dair, which is really risky. He is the lightest cahracter in the game as well, so if you can, pick up ness or lucas and you can easily juggle him with up air and pk fire.
Not to diss on your main, but Ness isn't that great at juggling Mewtwo since he's a bit too slow-moving. PK Fire is also fairly easily reflected.

Also Mewtwo is not the lightest character, he's second behind Jigglypuff.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
In general, what Mewtwo struggles with the most is heavy rushdown, as he is both somewhat vulnerable to strings and has trouble resetting against fast characters, plus it prevents him from charging.

It's hard to say which of his tools are the strongest since almost all of them are useful in ways, though overall I guess they're dtilt (his main combo starter), fair (AKA shadow claw), dsmash for it's low endlag and power and bair for it's big range.

There is of course a thread containing the details for his combos http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwos-big-book-o-combos-8-characters-done.413911/, but suffice it to say his main combo starters are dtilt (particularly up close), jab and nair (tricky though). Other combo tools include late dash attack at low percents and utilt, plus uair on fastfallers. Dtilt to fair at lower percents is his bread and butter with more possible depending on weight and falling speed.

If you're getting hit by his jab a lot, it probably means you're either too slow in boxing (which seems to be the case for Ganondorf) or your approaches are getting predictable. Jab also has the trample property which means he does not suffer recoil when it clanks.
Thank you so much for this post - a lot of info for me here, wow.

Especially taking note for Ganon, I'll really need to focus on that particular MU if I wanna get better I think... I'm generally pretty good at applying pressure, I've just always seen the Mewtwo MU as one I should take slow - I feel like I've been doing the MU wrong the whole time.

I think what you've outlined here though is pretty scary for me though, pretty much everything about Mewtwo's weaknesses makes for everything I'm not particularly great at combating, especially in terms of beating longer range moves like his B-air and D-tilt - though I suppose this means learning the MU will be a nice skill hurdle for me.

Especially appreciate the link to the thread detailing his combos and strings, hopefully I can use that info to better think about what's coming.

Top Bottom