• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble killing with Megaman

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
I find i cannot take a stock with Megaman as every option i have will get punished severly, possibly costing me my own stock.

Usmash, fsmash, dsmash, bair, and utilt are all very punishable and i only am able to use them to punish a huge screw up by the opponent. Bthrow only kills close to the ledge with your back turned at high percents.

Even using saws is hard because they collide with an enemy hitbox or projectile, or just get punished by a dash attack that happened to grab it. They also just make it easier for people to get in because im no longer using pellets.

Either that or theyll just shield it.

Spacing for a saw followup will get you punished if your opponent is shielding, but spacing for a safe saw gets you nowhere.

Is there anything else i can do, any setups or just more practice?

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
You can try leaf shield approaches to get a grab. Bthrow is pretty reliable to kill with. Also, mix up your ledge games. Bait your opponent to air dodge by empty hopping at them. Then use your double jump to bair them. If they're above, short up fast fall uair can create an opening for you. Metal blade to fast fall is a kill confirm for utilt. Walk off bairs are excellent for killing the space animals. And punish rolls woth d smash or usmash.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
Your most safest ways to get kills are leaf shield+ backthrow and bair. The setups to get these kills is getting your opp up in the air, then going for either leaf shield+ backthrow or bair. You can try doing a bair without your opp in the air, but it's a bit more risky and committal.

-up smash is less risky reading your opp landing on the stage but more risky reading a grounded opp and a recovering opp.
-down smash is pretty risky, i only go for it when I hard read a roll, or i diagnoal metal blade someone on the ledge, and dsmash.
-side smash is risky, I go for it at the edge when my opp is trying to grab the ledge
-up air isn't the best kill move but can kill, just condition your opp to jump with your projectiles
-fair can kill at high percentage at the the most right or most left side of the stages. I did a bair + fair combo at the edge, got a kill
-bair is your best kill move, lots of ways to get the kills, but its just the setups in executing, some are succesful setups
-down air is decent. sucks about the lag, but I try to work it in my move repotoire. can get a z drop metal blade into dair read kill

leaf shield + backthrow is pretty safe, less risk, but it is mostly used for setups to bair kills. this backthrow usually kills at high perentages.

advice on shielding opps: don't approach them when they shield. Megaman has no safe options to deal with a shielding opp without getting hit or a trade. Instead, camp out with a thrown leaf shield, and spam projectiles till they come.

advice on getting punished: we mostly get punished because of laggy megaman moves or get beaten by a stronger move. example using pellets on a lil mac fsmash. fsmash will go through pellets and do heavy dmg on us. Don't pellet. What I learned after time is to srsly just get enough space from lil mac so he's a side b length away, and then just throw projectiles and bait him out and see if there's any confirms to get. Usually a confirm is a grab or upsmash.

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
Personally, I've stopped going overboard with getting kill setups, opting instead to keep playing as normal (albeit much more patiently to scout out mistakes). Eventually, you'll get the kill as long as you're playing safely. This change in mindset has been tremendously helping my gameplay.

HIMA14

Smash Rookie
NNID
HIMA14BITS
I don't know if this can help you but here ya go.

LeafStool:
When your opponent is off-stage use Leaf Shield and drop yourself to try to Footstool them,this is a bit risky I know cause if you fail you have to throw leaf shield fast enough to do your recory but practice makes the master :).

Dair Mindgame:
Normally when my opponents are off-stage I try to confuse them or the best term ''Mindgame'',when you see they are coming back to stage try to confuse your opponents by jumping(they will think you are about to spike them),and then go back fast to stage and drop yourself again without jumping and then jump to wall jump and do Dair and if you are lucky they will get spiked,this works very good against characters with not good recoveries like DK or Bowser and if you are lucky you can even hit DDD and his fast recovery.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I don't know if this can help you but here ya go.

LeafStool:
When your opponent is off-stage use Leaf Shield and drop yourself to try to Footstool them,this is a bit risky I know cause if you fail you have to throw leaf shield fast enough to do your recory but practice makes the master :).

Dair Mindgame:
Normally when my opponents are off-stage I try to confuse them or the best term ''Mindgame'',when you see they are coming back to stage try to confuse your opponents by jumping(they will think you are about to spike them),and then go back fast to stage and drop yourself again without jumping and then jump to wall jump and do Dair and if you are lucky they will get spiked,this works very good against characters with not good recoveries like DK or Bowser and if you are lucky you can even hit DDD and his fast recovery.

Us mega man mains....

.....we don't believe in this "luck"

Greward

Smash Lord
Mega Man has risky kill options. That's how it is. You have to learn to do some reads for getting kills or get very good at gimping.

Back throw can work near the edge, up throw can kill at very high %. Up air is a good kill move in some matchup and is sometimes safe on shield. Bair is good to catch jumps or get edgeguard kills.

Upsmash is a read move mostly (sometimes out of shield) if it gets blocked it's super punishable but it's another kill option.

Then there's plenty of offstage options to kill with.

Tossed MB can combo into Bair in some matchups and full hop - MB down can link into uptilt or upsmash too.

Powershielding also helps in getting the kill moves in. Specially utilt. Dodge can be used as a lazy powershield too but it's a worse option.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Something I noticed is that Nair's Sweetspot seems to have just enough shield stun to make it more or less safe... I dunno, most of the time people simply shield-drop -> punish, but they never do it when I Nair them...
Could someone test that ?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Yea it probably gained enough shield stun in the patch to be safer on shield. ALso does anyone know if the Nair sweet spot is considered a projectile?

I feel like it wouldn't be and that would also mean it has more shield stun.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I don't know for sure. I have a video of me facing a fox and I sweet spot naired him while he had reflector up.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
nair sweetspot is not considered a projectile because when i get it reflected i only take damage from the lemon that came out on the first hit

Chan_MMssb

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chandler14
A decent kill confirm is B-reverse diagonal metal blade into shoryuken (utilt). Also super satisfying. My thing about killing is dont overcommit to your smash attacks. They are laggy and may get you punished, although upsmash is the least laggy. It's a good anti air so try and read an air dodge and bop em. Also bair is good. Really good. I feel that's how I get most of my kills.

Top Bottom