• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble fighting Marth

Roys amazing

Smash Cadet
When ever i do a F air he just jumps and N airs me. When i try to recover with aether he just hugs me. When i try to recover with my side B move he just jumps in the way.

TANORI

Smash Journeyman
I havent had many problems fighting marth, you just need to be patient, what i do is just waiting for him to come close Ike has more range than marth use that to your advantage.

jm smasher

Smash Rookie
well it appears you and i are in the same boat my friend XD
basically, theres not much that an ike really can do against a good marth. just land lots of jabs, aerials, use those SAFs and generally play relatively defensively (or at least that what i feel works for me). alot of his moves out prioritize yours, and if they dont, they'll release faster. answering your question, his aerial game is much better than ikes, with the only real advantage being ikes range. time your hits right, and they may just shut down some of his fairs. off the stage, theres not really much i can tell you :/ just try not to get gimped or release quickdraw while you're still above him and take advantage of that sliding distance when you land.
hope that helped!

J-mar

Smash Rookie
You *have* to be patient when fighting Marth. Powershield and grabbing work wonders. If you're not careful Marth can literally walk Ike off the stage with his fair combo. Also try to stay on the ground because if Marth gets Ike in the air he's screwed. If this happens try mixing up air dodging so he doesn't keep juggling you. But the biggest advice I can give is to grab to build damage, that way you can kill him with one of Ike's quicker moves like and up tilt or even the jab combo. Just stuff that I picked up, and adding my 2 cents. Good luck.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I havent had many problems fighting marth, you just need to be patient, what i do is just waiting for him to come close Ike has more range than marth use that to your advantage.
Obviously you're not playing any marth's close to the skill level of the one i play everyday. Patience is not a problem when he is over to my side of the stage in under a second and has me in the air very quickly.

Last time i checked, Ike doesn't have projectiles, so his "range" isn't that helpful. If by range you mean forward tilt. if you can get that off against a charging marth... not a very good marth.

Shrinkray21..... i hate you. (the marth i play)

edit: My name is fire_wulf... Ike main.... i am posting from said jack a**'s account

Betaz

Smash Ace
Obviously you're not playing any marth's close to the skill level of the one i play everyday. Patience is not a problem when he is over to my side of the stage in under a second and has me in the air very quickly.

Last time i checked, Ike doesn't have projectiles, so his "range" isn't that helpful. If by range you mean forward tilt. if you can get that off against a charging marth... not a very good marth.

Shrinkray21..... i hate you. (the marth i play)

edit: My name is fire_wulf... Ike main.... i am posting from said jack a**'s account
XD wow XD but I have to agree with you Marth can get to you before you can even use your "range"

V

Smash Ace
i main marth and i can tell you marth is quicker and has priority over ike. you're going to have to play mind games and overpower him. figure out how to get him where you want him then hit him hard

dancing blade = death

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
one thing you must do is MAKE SURE HE'S TOWARD THE EDGE!!! MARTH'S GREAT EDGEGUARD + IKE BAD RECOVERY = DISASTER
also if your friend likes to punish with nair you could punish back with a dash away then shbair back in his face

Othersyde

Smash Rookie
This match up can be frustrating for Ike's.

If Ike's not careful Marth can tear him up with his Dancing Blade or his Fair easily. The trick is trying not to set yourself up for these moves. Marth being the quicker swordsman will keep you on the defensive (usually) - so Ike is going to have to employ every trick in his defensive play book to stay alive. Shield+Grab, Power Shielding, spot dodging, short-hop dodging - do whatever you can to avoid Marth's blade. Sometimes you can sneak in a quick counter to catch Marth off-guard. Another thing is to try and abstain from rolling as much as possible. It makes you very predictable and Marth's Fsmash comes out quick and has the range to punish obvious rollers. Also don't forget to use your Quick Draw for recovery or mind games (e.g. using quick draw to close the distance between you and Marth but stopping just at Marth's feet instead of going for the blow). Grab+Throw damage is huge for Ike in this match-up especially if you can turn it into a combo such as down throw followed by an Aether at low percents.

Overall Ike's game is all about grossly capitalizing on people's mistakes. Marth's offensive speed and power can be frustrating but so can an Ike who eludes his sword and patiently waits for Marth to slip up.

J-mar

Smash Rookie
Oh another thing for recovery, if you get sent flying a good distance away then try air dodging towards the edge to inch closer to the edge so you can do aether instead of the forward b to recover. If the person expects the forward b all he really has to do it jump out and slash so Ike hits the sword and goes into free fall.

Top Bottom