• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble Approaching a Couple Characters

I've been practicing with Bowser for a couple months at this point and I have found that of the roster I have trouble approaching as King Boozer against these characters:

Ness/Lucas
Pikachu
Sheik

I also have many problems killing as early as you should with Bowser. If you could help me out that would be awesome

--The Bard

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
The short version is that approach using dashing shield until you push them into a corner. At that point they have to make some sort of decision. You read that decision, and you make a read and get crazy damage.

For instance:

* A very common loop you'll see with pikachu players is that they will full hop thunder jolt over and over followed by quick attack when you get close. The answer is to power shield walk or dashing power shield, and when you are close you either charge up smash, or shield and make a dash grab guess.

* lucas players often zair and pkfire, and then when you approach they tether grab. Again just power shield until you are in grab range, then roll towards him and reverse klaw/reverse standing grab. You can also spot dodge to grab/bowser bomb.

* one loop a shiek could use is needle and then fair when you approach. What I like to do when i'm close here is either roll behind and jab, or run backward and try to pivot grab the option immediately after the landing fair. For instance if they choose to do another short hop after that, the pivot grab read will scoop them up

Every player has there way of spacing, and of course they should have a ton of mix ups which can be frustrating. You just have to be even more confusing and unpredictable with your approaches. Rolls, short hop bairs, jabs, wavebounce firebreath. There's a ton of stuff you can do to make them feel like they can't keep you out. Just be random.

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
my general rule of thumb against defensive characters and playstyles is to be patient and smart. what do i mean by that? basically you want to be patient so that they never know when you will approach and also be smart in that you approach in the right way and time. also remember your best punish tool is grab as you can get 30% from a grab and they will be in the air where you can start anti airing them but you want to grab at the right time as most people like to avoid your grab.

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
Thanks for the help bushaheen bushaheen and Big Sean Big Sean . Another question I have is what stages should I always try to ban as soon as possible?
i dont know really i personally ban lylat and dream land because i hate them but you should ban according to who your against so if your against a campy character ban fd and if your against a character who kills upward very well then ban town and city but just pick the stage you feel most comfortable at if you dont know what to ban

Top Bottom