• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Triforce of Wisdom vs. Triforce of Power (strats against the Gdorf)

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)
Anyone know of any good and reliable strategies to utilize against the Evil sorcerer?

I ask this because...

I have a friend who is, in general, a really good and a very smart player...he does his homework and his practicing (he came to a tounrament this past weekend with strategic notes...prolly from these boards...written in a notebook and was doing some reviewing before matches)...now the thing is...he mains Ganondorf a character whom, initially, everyone thought that Sakurai had gimped and pretty much made his Triforce of Power less potent...Now one would assume that Zelda wouldn't have too much trouble with the evil sorcerer...however my friend is extremely dangerous and has proven to be a Zelda exterminator...

Granted i've only played him about 3 times with my Zelda (both at local tourney's here at USC) and he's bested my beloved princess. Although he and I are evenly matched in terms of skill level, i feel like his Gdorf just seemed to have the upper hand in the matches we played.

So anyone got any strategies, tricks, or things to look out for when facing against the beast?

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
Well, I used to main Ganondorf... But I never actually got really good with him, I guess. But I guess that it's important to do like everybody says here - keep your distance, be patient, pressure him with Din's Fire and strike when an opportunity arises.

The one move to watch out for is Flame Choke, since it's a real good approach - both in the air and on the ground. Also, be ready when he uses his down-B, since it's rather easy to counter once you see it coming. Also, Ganondorf is big. You should be able to sweetspot him with you fair and bair. But don't try to dair him when he recovers; Ganoncide's dangerous...

And remember, if he gets into you, simply Nayru him or d-smash. It should keep you clear.

Hope that helps. :)

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
the poster above me is correct, don't get too aggressive. Bait him into attacking you. wait for it and punish his recovery. up smash is your best friend as always and fair/bair become much easier to land with his deceptively large hitbox.

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)
Yea I guess what I'm having most trouble dealing with is whenever he's close to me he hits me with his jab or his Dtilt...both of which are deceptively fast and have an alarming amount of knockback...so I'm always cautious when approaching him anyways...and for some reason i can't ever get in close enough for a good fair/bair...

hmm...i think i'll just have to practice more against the brute...

S2

Smash Lord
Ganon is a tricky matchup.

You'd think he'd be one of Zelda's easiest matchups, but that's deceptive. He does pose a threat because he's got a few tricky attacks and a good Ganon is going to be careful about not leaving himself too open.

Harass him and don't let him get close. You could probably fight him simply via dodging and countering, just make sure he's not expecting you to dodge (or he might pull a fake out). Watch out for his Side-b. You can't block it and if he uses it while recovering he can suicide you.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
If you're having problems with his close range fast attacks and you have no other way out learn the invulnerability frames of Naryu's love, it's imperative that you don't get predictable with it otherwise you'll eat his power moves while you're recovering from it.

Rejjae

Smash Apprentice
You can't jump out and edgeguard him because of his forward-B, but if you throw him off the edge, you can launch din's fire at him so he either takes the hit, or airdodges and falls low enough that he has to B-up which you can dair if you get above him.

Top Bottom