• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training Mode Carry-Over

Chalcopterus

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
LORD#687
For what it's worth: I'm a Samus main (and I intend to main her as I practice and become better)

Since first getting my low latency gaming monitor in September, I've made a lot of progress in training mode. I'm by no means perfect, but after a lot of perseverence, my wavedash has gotten a lot more consistent, as has my dash dance, wave landing, short hops, ledge dash and general movement. ...in training mode.

When I play in Slippi, I seem to be exactly where I was 6 months ago, if not worse. Most of my wavedashes fail, strangely. I flub bomb recovery by accidentally doing missiles, etc. I'm slow and awkward. It's really not just the techniques related to competetive Melee that I severely mess up, it's just simple things like pointing the analog stick in the right direction. Overall I tend to beat slightly more players than I lose still, but most people on Slippi don't seem to be very good. The ones I'm connected with at least.

Now I'm not suggesting that I should be as good playing an opponent as I am playing by myself in training mode. Rather it's that there seems to be 0 carry over from my improvement in training mode to playing opponents.

My general approach to training is:
  • Don't worry about speed; Nail execution and speed will come in time
  • Reduce situations where your execution is particularly bad. Lay down the controller and do so something else. This doesn't apply to completely new things though; but if I repeatedly and structurally notice myself messing up things I'm generally good at during practice, I put my attention on something else to avoid forming bad habits.
  • When training new skills, I keep training sessions short and frequent, and slowly extend their duration as I become more confident and consistent with the movement pattern
  • Practice fundamentals. Character specific,high-risk-questionable-reward techniques (super wave dash, extender) don't carry over to other characters and aren't that important until after getting decently tight at the fundamentals
  • Slippi isn't about winning but getting better. I try to win every match, but only insofar that it is training to get better at winning for when it matters. Loss is as important because it can teach me how to lose less in the future

Having said all that. I've noticed myself getting worse at at least one thing after having played Slippi a lot. And that is when it comes to approaching with missiles from the ledge. I went from doing it consistently well, even getting double-missiles as I land back on the ledge to unlearning it completely. I can do it again, but no longer double missiles.

So I'm not sure exactly what approach to take right now to ensure greater carry-over from training mode to playing opponents. I genuinely don't feel nervous so I don't get the flubs there. It might be me trying to execute too fast, causing me to mess things up but I do try to avoid it.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing, or something similar, and how they got around to improving after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom