• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournaments, Monitors and TVs...

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
Hi everyone.

I've been wondering about this for some time. I'm not exactly sure if this has been discussed before, if not, here's the place. If it was discussed before, please link me to the topic.

Most, if not all, Smash tournaments have been done using CRT televisions, and have been like this for over 10 years. However, the fighting game community uses Asus and other HD monitors for their games instead of CRT.

I don't want to spark any debate about FGC, e-sports or anything related, that isn't the topic at all.

So, the question here is, now that Nintendo finally has a native HD console, will Smash Bros. players move on to Asus and other monitors instead of the usual CRT or have a mix of both? At least for the new Smash Bros.

Maybe it's time we move on from CRT, considering huge tournaments and majors have more access to monitors than CRT.

I'd like to see what the community thinks about this.

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
The trouble is that most setups are brought by players and amateur organizers, but many consumer LED and LCD displays have noticeable (and variable by model) display lag. Some, but not all, have game modes that reduce the amount of image processing the display does and gets it on screen faster, but the lowest I've seen advertised (and I haven't looked in a while, so bear with me) is around 3ms. A frame at 60 fps is 16.7 ms, so if you can get one that fast (e.g. one use in other fighting game tournaments), you're doing pretty well, but I've seen displays that report 30 ms lag in the spec sheet, so it's a tough call.

V-K

Smash Ace
The trouble is that most setups are brought by players and amateur organizers, but many consumer LED and LCD displays have noticeable (and variable by model) display lag. Some, but not all, have game modes that reduce the amount of image processing the display does and gets it on screen faster, but the lowest I've seen advertised (and I haven't looked in a while, so bear with me) is around 3ms. A frame at 60 fps is 16.7 ms, so if you can get one that fast (e.g. one use in other fighting game tournaments), you're doing pretty well, but I've seen displays that report 30 ms lag in the spec sheet, so it's a tough call.
I have a monitor with 5 ms lag. That's 0.3 Frames of lag.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Normally the lag comes from the tv having to process AV or component cables and adapt the image. I've never had my PC lag on any 1080p HD LCD or LED TV with an HDMI cable, it can't just be luck.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
In the Wii U settings, would changing the HDMI resolution to 720p or 480p reduce the lag?
Also, we can still use the AV cables from the wii.

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
I have a monitor with 5 ms lag. That's 0.3 Frames of lag.
Are you sure you're not referring to 5ms "response time", which is completely unrelated to input lag?

Anyway, I think the SSB4 competitive community will need to adopt LCD monitors like they use in EVO and MLG. Have you tried playing the Wii U on a CRT? It looks like ****

Vale

Smash Ace
Are you sure you're not referring to 5ms "response time", which is completely unrelated to input lag?

Anyway, I think the SSB4 competitive community will need to adopt LCD monitors like they use in EVO and MLG. Have you tried playing the Wii U on a CRT? It looks like ****
How about we just accept 3DS version as the standard for competitive play and avoid having to drag around a TV at all?

...Okay, I'll leave now.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Do you have the model #s of those LCD monitors?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I have played on cheap LCD ~20-22 inch screens that don't lag at all (and this was 4-5 years ago), I think it is mostly the connections (AV cables and component cables)

Top Bottom