• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Question

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
hey uh, i know we got a pretty big smash community here. and i was wondering, i'm thinking about negotiating with the pastor of my church and my parents about maybe letting me hold a smash tourney at the church to raise some money for the church. and i was wondering, who here would be willing to come? it's not written in stone yet, and i'm not even sure i'll be able to, but in case i can, i need to know about how many people would be willing to come. 'cause if i say for example 20 guys come, i'll probably be charging $10-$15 for entry, (church needs money) and winner would get 1/3 of total money. (1/3 of the pot if that's what you want to call it) and i need to know about how many people would be willing to come, and if they would be willing to bring a couple of cubes and maybe 1 or 2 TV's. (small church, it used to be a bar) so, how many people would be willing to come if i tried to set something up? here would be the info:

Price: $15 Entry

Prize: Only first place gets 50% of the total money gathered from entry fees. 2nd and 3rd place doesn't get anything. sucks i know, but i don't really know what else i could get for 2nd and 3rd place. i'm trying to get some money for myself too y'know.

Place: Not saying anything yet, but it's in Wyandotte Michigan.

Now about how many people would be interested? I don't have a date yet, i'm still trying to set things up. I need to know how many people, 'cause that'll give me some leverage to let the pastor let me rent out the church on a saturday.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
1/3rd of the pot or 50%? You give two different values. Which is it?

To let you know an average sized tournament (around 20 people) would charge around $5 dollars, and the prizes would be either 70/20/10 or 60/30/10, being first, second, and third. NCT2 was a very large tournament, with about a hundred and thirty entrants, had an entry fee of $20.

Charging ten or fifteen dollars would be an adequate entry fee for a 50-75 entrant tournament. Also, trying to get money for both yourself AND the church severely reduces the payout of entrants. This will then reduce the number of entrants you get, thereby reducing the payout even further.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
1/3rd of the pot or 50%? You give two different values. Which is it?

To let you know an average sized tournament (around 20 people) would charge around $5 dollars, and the prizes would be either 70/20/10 or 60/30/10, being first, second, and third. NCT2 was a very large tournament, with about a hundred and thirty entrants, had an entry fee of $20.

Charging ten or fifteen dollars would be an adequate entry fee for a 50-75 entrant tournament. Also, trying to get money for both yourself AND the church severely reduces the payout of entrants. This will then reduce the number of entrants you get, thereby reducing the payout even further.
well i got another topic for this in the appropriate section, (regional zones/midwest) and we're so far going to have about 20-25 people. that's a start anyway. i'll ask peoples opinions when they show up.

Top Bottom