• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament at my college (CCGA) - Any tips?

Who should I play (I'm equally good with all 3)

• Total voters

TheDetective007

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! I am going to my first tournament next week for Brawl at my local college and am having a bit of trouble adjusting to it. I used to be great at this game, but lately I've been playing a lot of melee and 3DS demo and just went back today and am getting destroyed by level 9 computers. I main Wolf, Ganondorf, and Lucas. Any tips on how I should practice and get ready? Thanks in advance!

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
how many people are participating? are you playing for fun or for the win?

if you wanna win you should only play meta knight. he is so easy

if you wanna play for fun, you can play whoever you want.

if you wanna win and have fun, you should focus on one character. Once, you master that one, go onto another character.

i won the brawl tourney at my school by being very versatile and playing only mid-high tier characters (zss/toonlink/marth/metaknight)

if you have friends, you should practice with them. they are very good training partners, unlike computers (Which i did lol).

TheDetective007

Smash Rookie
Not sure how many people and mostly for fun, but I do want to win. And I'm sick of the meta knight cliche so I'm playing with the character I'm mostly comfortable with. Thanks for the information though!

yttik

CPUs don't reflect how you play against people, don't worry about that. Just practise tech stuff, you should probably not play Ganondorf though, unless you are insanely good with him.

TheDetective007

Smash Rookie
CPUs don't reflect how you play against people, don't worry about that. Just practise tech stuff, you should probably not play Ganondorf though, unless you are insanely good with him.
I I'm pretty good with Ganondorf. I recently went back to melee and practiced like crazy cause i thought that's what game was going to be at the tourney, but it ended up being brawl. I went back to brawl and sucked so bad haha. Everyone really felt floaty as crap, so I was trying all the characters again and was destroying with Ganondorf. I appreciate his weight, love the Ganoncide, and am pretty decent at predicting when an individual will dodge in the air to hit them with a dair or up air. His recovery is also much better than I remembered it being.

yttik

I I'm pretty good with Ganondorf. I recently went back to melee and practiced like crazy cause i thought that's what game was going to be at the tourney, but it ended up being brawl. I went back to brawl and sucked so bad haha. Everyone really felt floaty as crap, so I was trying all the characters again and was destroying with Ganondorf. I appreciate his weight, love the Ganoncide, and am pretty decent at predicting when an individual will dodge in the air to hit them with a dair or up air. His recovery is also much better than I remembered it being.
Ok well if you are confident go for it, just remember, he is the bottom of the tier list and technically the worst character in the game heheh. :p

TheDetective007

Smash Rookie
Ok well if you are confident go for it, just remember, he is the bottom of the tier list and technically the worst character in the game heheh. :p
Haha yeah there are two tourneys one after another so I plan on trying Ganondorf and if that doesn't work switching over to Wolf/Lucas. I just want a bit of competitive experience before smash 4 comes out :D

TheDetective007

Smash Rookie
UPDATE: I lost with Ganondorf to two different Kirby's, then swapped over to Wolf and destroyed. Whole lot of fun and glad I got at least some competitive play before Smash 3DS releases Friday (even if it was a friendly tourney, they still tried pretty hard haha)

Top Bottom