• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Tour de la Smash" at Family Fun Arcade, Granada Hills - Sunday 2/10/08 (NEW THREAD)

Arlieth Tralare

Smash Cadet
This is Arlieth Tralare from Family Fun Arcade. I apologize for the confusion and date changes from previous threads (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=137970). This new thread was necessary to reflect the date change to Sunday and the adjusted entrance fees ($5 Entry, $3 Venue).

Typically, tournaments at FFA are pay-per-play on arcade machines. For console tournaments, we have to put away stations that would normally be in operation to make room. Therefore, to compensate, we charge a venue fee, but all consoles that are set up are essentially free to play. We do the same for Tekken 5 and Guilty Gear tournaments that are held here as well on console. There are two stations w/ Gamecubes designated so far, and we will try to make more room for two more casual stations. Thank you for your understanding.

------
TOUR DE LA SMASH!
Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament

Crossposted to: Shoryuken.com
Smashboards: Tournament Listings

*NEW OFFICIAL THREAD FOR THE TOURNAMENT
*Date Change: February 10th 2008/Sunday

10363 Balboa Blvd
Granada Hills, CA 91344
(818) 360-0419

Teams 2v2 - 2/10/08 @ 2:00p.m. Sign-ups @ 12:00p.m.
Singles 1v1 - 2/10/08 @ 6:00p.m. Sign-ups @ 12:00p.m.
*You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
Entry Fee: $5.00 plus $3.00 Venue Charge
*Note: On the Team Tournament each player must pay $8.00. Total: $16.00 per team

Teams: Pot Split: WINNER TAKE ALL
Singles: Pot Split: 70/20/10

RULES:
Double Elimination, Single Match, 4 Stock, 7 Minute Timer, No Items
STAGES: Final Destination, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Battlefield,
Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams.
* Top 8(Quarterfinals) is 2/3 and character switch is allowed only to losers.
* If both players can agree on a stage, that stage will be used.
* Gltiches used to used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them are BANNED.
* Tatics as method of recovery are allowed but to use them to stall during a match are prohibited.
* For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON.
* For Doubles matches, life stealing is allowed.
* Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a warning of that or any other single game.
* Any outside instructions during a match are prohibited.
* If rules are broken the player ends with a warning. Repeadetly results in a game loss or DQ.
*People who are bringing Gamecubes: Clockwork Jr. & ResidentWaffle (Room for 2 more)

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
wow $8 per person for teams is dumb.

are you guys taking out $3 per person on the teams tournament too? meaning you're taking $6 per person?
Or is the $8 going strictly to the pot?

and just to make sure i'm correct, you say top 8 is 2/3, meaning every other match is best of one? That's ********. I'm sure you're not completely aware as to the rules of competitive smash, but most tournaments have EVERY match be 2/3, and finals be 3/5.

the reason for the 2/3 rule is that there are a few stages that some chracters have an unfair advantage on.

and you said there will be 2 set ups for casual play - my advice is to use those casual tv's as tournament play, it will make the tournament run much faster. just make sure to give time prior to the tournament to have people warm up.

Arlieth Tralare

Smash Cadet
$3 is separate from the pot and is applied for both tournaments. We have to put away computers and replace them with televisions to set up for the tournament, as well as bigscreens that normally run arcade games. For console tournaments, this method is standard for FFA. That's why we also try to set up casual stations so that the players can practice between matches(which is important) and get something for their $3.

Also, teams have the same entrance fees as singles per player because the pot is split between two people for first place, and doesn't go 1st/2nd/3rd like a singles tournament.

The biggest problem with tourneys held for Smash compared with others is the time per game. While most other games finish a match within 2-3 minutes, smash is almost double that. In order to fit both Teams and Singles in a single day, we used the single match rule.

I'm talking with the owner of FFA on getting as many as six stations total but that might be a bit of a stretch. But I'll try to make more tournament stations available so that the tourney can run 2/3 instead of single game, with 3/5 for finals.

The Game II

Smash Champion
I'll be going, but I'd like to see as many stations available for the tournament. These guys and girls that want to play friendlies can do it before the tournament or when they go home.

--GCII

The Game II

Smash Champion
Rob West and that's it; I know nobody else and there's probably going to be 25 players if it stands; a lot of people are lining up to play Brawl instead.

--GCII

RobGreco

Smash Rookie
Who was everyone at this event? What do you all look like?

I was there only for the team tournament and the only person who stood out was the Falco player who dominated with his girlfriend for a teammate.

xDARKLINKx

Smash Ace
Who was everyone at this event? What do you all look like?

I was there only for the team tournament and the only person who stood out was the Falco player who dominated with his girlfriend for a teammate.

L
O
L

Are you serious???

That guy had the skills of a lobotomized monkey.

Wow, me and a lvl 4 or 5 ganon coulda beat that ****.

RobGreco

Smash Rookie
L
O
L

Are you serious???

That guy had the skills of a lobotomized monkey.

Wow, me and a lvl 4 or 5 ganon coulda beat that ****.
I was impressed.
Sorry if my standards for being impressed with ssbm play are not so keen.
Sheesh.

Oh and to answer my own question earlier, everyone that placed well in the Singles event, I don't think was there for the teams, so never mind.

Top Bottom